Bank of Kentucky & the 9th and 10th Region - No Radio/Internet Broadcasting

Sure people will listen to games if they are unable to attend and the game is broadcasted, but let's not make it seem like their lives will end if they don't get to hear the games. My parents couldn't attend the regional or semifinals this year in football to watch their grandson; the games were not broadcasted; I called them at half and after the game with updates. They survived, although in reading some of the posts in this thread about how critically important it is to have the games broadcasted, I'm not sure how my parents survived. Jeesh.

I've tried to not sound like a heartless jerk in here. But I've felt generally the same way you do about this matter. I understand that it may not be the most convenient but that's life. Sad that some people can't wait to see it on the news, read about it later or hear about it from a friend. I don't think that doing any of those makes you any less of a fan or should really disappoint anyone that much. Maybe I'm the unreasonable one.:idunno:

Edited by sportsfan41

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee you it is about wringing more money out of the process. This has already been acknowledged. BOK is very clear about why they have made this decision. The BOK guaranteed the schools "x" amount of money and they are doing this to -hopefully-ensure they can meet their promise. As I said - that was an admirable goal. But to make the regional experience secondary to this, is, IMO, a poor decision.

I think I am actually saying the same thing you are. I don't view this as them trying to make as much of a profit as they possibly can. I view this as them trying to make sure they don't lose money, and being a negative for the combined tournaments.

This is from Ernst after looking at the contract...

So the 9th region could have taken $55,000 and bought the rights. Would Insight have paid to broadcast the semis and finals? If so how much would you guess they would have?

So the 9th region could have taken $55,000 and bought the rights. Would Insight have paid to broadcast the semis and finals? If so how much would you guess they would have?

They could likely have gotten a few thousand from Insight and a few hundred each from everyone else...

I'm not sure that not permitting the games to be broadcast will result in a much greater attendance, but BOK does (and for the matter so does the NFL that mandates a blackout of local broadcasting if the game is not sold out in advance; but hey, what does the NFL know about the money part of the business.:D)

The vast majority of posts are not taking issue with BOK not permitting live television coverage of the games. (Although the attempt to sell the TV rights for 10K is a bit over the top.) The NFL has a live television blackout. Even the NFL does not black out live radio coverage, blog coverage, live scoreboard posts, etc. BOK is mandating a complete blackout. No local radio, internet or video tape delay. Reporters are not allowed to bring computers to the arena. This shut down approach to the flow of information reflects negatively on NKU.

From what I can gather, the 9th Region is getting 65K from the BOK for hosting the tourney there.

40k for the boys and 25k for the girls.

I may be off 5k or so but that is the crux of the deal.

The money will be divided amongst all teams in the region.

I believe there are 24 schools in the region that will collect.

Each non-participating region school will get a $500.

The region qualifiers will get more and then it will be based on a percentage as they advance.

That was the deal struck.

Anyone think BOK can pull 65k from the 9th Region alone?

Is this too good a deal for the region to turn down? Was it a bad decision?

The contract doesn't specify how the 9th breaks down the $65k. It just says the 9th region receives $65k.

However, the 9th region also receives 100% of gross novelty and merchandise revenue less taxes, credit card fees, and staffing expenses.

IMO, while I still feel its short-sighted and based on false assumptions, the blame for this issue lies with the schools and the 9th Region.

IMO, while I still feel its short-sighted and based on false assumptions, the blame for this issue lies with the schools and the 9th Region.

For giving the BOK full control of broadcast rights? Sure. For how that was handled from there? No...

The contract doesn't specify how the 9th breaks down the $65k. It just says the 9th region receives $65k.

However, the 9th region also receives 100% of gross novelty and merchandise revenue less taxes, credit card fees, and staffing expenses.

Understood, from what I have been told it is 40k to 25k boys to girls.

Title X issue?

For giving the BOK full control of broadcast rights? Sure. For how that was handled from there? No...

Everything is negotiable. If this was a concern to the 9th region and the school officials they could have handled it. They didn't.

I've tried to not sound like a heartless jerk in here. But I've felt generally the same way you do about this matter. I understand that it may not be the most convenient but that's life. Sad that some people can't wait to see it on the news, read about it later or hear about it from a friend. I don't think that doing any of those makes you any less of a fan or should really disappoint anyone that much. Maybe I'm the unreasonable one.:idunno:

Sportsfan, I don't really think anybody who's expressing displeasure on this thread with the decision is really so out of touch with reality to think that this is a life-or-death situation. Everyone survived without coverage of HS sports back in the days when there was no coverage - somehow! :lol:

It's just that this has become what you could call a "community asset". Something that ties the people in a community together. And NKY broadcasters have helped knit the NKY basketball community closer together with their contributions. They should be thanked and appreciated for the sacrifices they are making - and, speaking as a webcaster from another region, I guarantee you that they are making $$ and time sacrifices - not spoken of as if they are whiny and self-serving. That's totally inappropriate.

Will the 9th and 10th survive the "Blackout of 2009"? Sure. Is it necessary? No. Is it going to result in any positives for anyone? Not a chance. Is NKY losing something in the deal. Certainly. This, unfortunately, is the bottom-line.

Good luck to you guys...hope it eventually works out for you.