Bank of Kentucky & the 9th and 10th Region - No Radio/Internet Broadcasting

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Many of the other 15 regions restrict the broadcasting of their regional tournament games? Please let me know if you have an answer. I'd bet probably none to the extent of what's going to happen at the BoKC. What's next pay per view for High School regional tournament? This is HIGH SCHOOL for christ sake not professional sports.

The 12th Region encourages radio coverage and even proivdes courtesy telephone lines and charges no fee.

The 12th Region encourages radio coverage and even proivdes courtesy telephone lines and charges no fee.
I don't think the 1st Region charges a fee ... heck, there might be as many as six or seven stations doing a game at any one time. I think there are at least four stations that broadcast all 14 games, and some others do just certain teams.

I may alienate myself by doing this, but this is the response from the 9th Region Representative Chad Molley on the e-mail I sent to him and Superintendent Strong this afternoon:

"All of the broadcasts that were done in the past were in an effort to bring the games to people who may not have been able to see them in person because of the limited seating in our gyms. That is no longer part of the equation now that we are playing in a 10,000 seat arena. In order for this to work the Bank of Kentucky Center has to generate enough money through ticket sales to cover the guarantee with the 9th Region. We have never felt it was unreasonable for them to hold the broadcast rights to these games.

As 9th Region schools we want to encourage people to come to the arena and watch the games. We want to bring back that casual basketball fan that has stayed away for many years because they did not want to fight the long lines and crowds to maybe get in the gym. If we were to broadcast these games via TV, radio, or internet the casual fan may decide to stay home instead of coming to the arena. We have entered a three year partnership with The Bank of Kentucky Center and want to make this endeavor as successful as we can. This is the right thing to do financially for the schools in the 9th Region and for the scores of student-athletes that will get an opportunity to play a Regional tournament in this arena.

I am sorry that you will not be able to broadcast the games this year, but again, our decisions were influenced by what was best for our schools and the student-athletes that represent them."

I understand there was an athletic director meeting that was held this afternoon and this was brought up as one of the leading reasons for the meeting. Superintendent Strong has invited me to come to his office to discuss.

This is quite possibly one of the most out-of-touch comments I've seen in regards to HS sports in general and regional tournaments in particular.

To begin with, it's obvious that he has succumbed to the old fear of "more press = less gate," despite the fact that studies have shown over and over again that "more press = more excitement = more gate." You missed the first round game? You may not go to the second round. But if you heard the excitement of that down-to-the-wire first round game on the air...you may find you can't stay away from the tournament. Folks, we studied this in broadcast school in the late 1970s, and it's been re-affirmed by countless studies since...

In KY, it's especially amazing to find someone who thinks this is true. UK and U of L have almost every basketball game broadcast...yet they consistently rank in the top 5 in the nation in attendance. Can you say "positive correlation?"

Regional tournaments have always been the crowning moment for the HS fans. Making it to the region, with the bigger gyms and bigger crowds means a lot to kids, their families, and fans. The closeness of the schools - geographically - means there's a lot of familiarity. You see each other year after year... All of this is much different from the environment at Rupp or Diddle.

As such, anybody who's really interested in the games - and can - will go to the games. Although I do internet broadcasts in the 8th, I can tell you that nobody would prefer my broadcasts over the real thing...but I'm there for them when they can't go...particularly the folks who listen for that grandkid or nephew from other states - or even other countries!

The unfortunate thing is that Mr. Molley's comments reflect what almost everyone here has suspected: this is all about money. It's not about a celebration of the kids and their families and schools. It's all being done to ensure that the BOK Arena can wring as much money as possible out of the deal to make the guarantee promised to the regions. I'm not saying this isn't an admirable goal - but it should be secondary to the mission of the region tournament.

The community-first aspect of the region is compromised here... that's too bad...the 9th and 10th have forgotten what the community aspect of the region tournament is, and how it pulls together people from all over. What a shame.

Don't know about the 9th and 10th webcasters, but I certainly know this isn't a monetary thing for me down in the 8th -I won't make a dime off the 8th Region tournament, but beginning next Tuesday, I'll be gone from home for district and region tournament games on 11 of 15 nights... I'm not real popular with the wife during that time!

Buttels - looking forward to seeing you in New Castle! We'll have a great time! :thumb:

The 9th might be stuck for 3 years, but I'd bet the 10th is 1 and done with this place.

What makes you think that the people running the tournament for the 10th are upset enough that it won't come back. I think that decision is made by the schools in the 37th for this area. Yes maybe there have been some issues, but I don't hear Campbell County School officials complaining about the arena.

What makes you think that the people running the tournament for the 10th are upset enough that it won't come back. I think that decision is made by the schools in the 37th for this area. Yes maybe there have been some issues, but I don't hear Campbell County School officials complaining about the arena.

I agree id be shocked if the 10th is back,But we will what and see won't we.