Bank of Kentucky & the 9th and 10th Region - No Radio/Internet Broadcasting

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contract doesn't specify how the 9th breaks down the $65k. It just says the 9th region receives $65k.

However, the 9th region also receives 100% of gross novelty and merchandise revenue less taxes, credit card fees, and staffing expenses.

IMO, while I still feel its short-sighted and based on false assumptions, the blame for this issue lies with the schools and the 9th Region.

I'm w/ you.

For giving the BOK full control of broadcast rights? Sure. For how that was handled from there? No...

Maybe not, but did they just find out about the complaints this week? I would say a lot more blame goes to the schools in the region than the BOK. They had it in there negotiated contract.

Again my point is that evidently some venue operators would disagree with you. I can tell you this, I've had tickets to various sporting events; when I found the event was on tv, I didn't go. Perhaps that is not a valid corollary for radio/internet broadcasts of high school games; I honestly don't know. But evidently the operator of BOK thinks it is, put it in the contract and the schools agreed to it. Perhaps, at least in the case of the 9th region, they will relax the rule even more next year if they determine, based on this year's attendence, that they can do so.

Being disenfrachised? Don't you think that's being a tad bit melodramatic?

Did you pay for the tickets or were they freebies? I have had lots of free tickets and didn't attend the game but rarely did I pay for tickets and not attend or see that someone else used the tickets.

Again my point is that evidently some venue operators would disagree with you. I can tell you this, I've had tickets to various sporting events; when I found the event was on tv, I didn't go. Perhaps that is not a valid corollary for radio/internet broadcasts of high school games; I honestly don't know. But evidently the operator of BOK thinks it is, put it in the contract and the schools agreed to it. Perhaps, at least in the case of the 9th region, they will relax the rule even more next year if they determine, based on this year's attendence, that they can do so.

Being disenfrachised? Don't you think that's being a tad bit melodramatic?

On the bolded, perhaps. However, as I struggled to find the correct word, I kept harkening back to Rule 8. Hence, "being disenfranchised".:D

Highlands football games are not broadcasted (except when we are beating CovCath and we get to listen to their broadcasters complain:D:D. Just kidding CovCath fans; you know I have a lot of respect for your program.) and we seem to do just fine. I've yet to hear any Highlands fan unable to be there in person to watch Highlands play football complain anywhere near the degree I've read on this site (although I've read some Highlands fans bitterly complaining about the move to Bowling Green. Sorry Birdsfan. :D:D)

My parents couldn't attend the regional or semifinals this year in football to watch their grandson; the games were not broadcasted; I called them at half and after the game with updates.

LN in the above post you said you called your sons grandparents on the phone to update them at Halftime of the game to let them know the score. Well if the BOKC plays by the same standards they are putting on computers, what prevents them from not allowing you to make a cell phone call to update friends from the BOKC during the games? Really I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't do that, as there is no difference between bloging via a computer and using your phone to update freinds not attending the game live with the scores...:confused:

The Expo Center in Pikeville is on the list, too ...

That jumped right out at me as well. I've not really heard any complaints about how they run the 15th tourney, so I'd be curious to know why they would change a good thing (at least, as far as we know).

Can some 15th Region folks shed any light into their region tourney experience has gone, especially with respect to local broadcasters and media?

That jumped right out at me as well. I've not really heard any complaints about how they run the 15th tourney, so I'd be curious to know why they would change a good thing (at least, as far as we know).

Can some 15th Region folks shed any light into their region tourney experience has gone, especially with respect to local broadcasters and media?

Excellent query. Also, can some 4th Region folks shed some light into how the games at Diddle/WKU have gone, especially with respect to local broadcasters and media?

This should be a lesson. Know the facts before you decide on a regional playing site. I think Montgomery Co or Mason Co is where the tournament should be held. Both schools have proven they do a very good job of holding the regional tournament.:ylsuper:

Did you pay for the tickets or were they freebies? I have had lots of free tickets and didn't attend the game but rarely did I pay for tickets and not attend or see that someone else used the tickets.

Primarily freebies, which means the event organizer/team got the ticket money anyway, but they didn't get my concessions or merchandise money because I stayed at home.

Again, at the end of the day, I'm with Clyde. Vent your wrath at your school's coach, AD or principal that okayed this deal and see if they are willing to forego the guaranteed money and any other money they are entitled to receive in order to allow the folks staying at home to listen (my guess is that a lot of them will tell you to pound sand because the school wants/needs the money and thus they are no different than BOK wanting to make sure they at least cover their costs and maybe even make some money). It again is unrealistic for BOK or the schools not to be looking at the bottom line.

But I've said my piece a few times on this subject so I don't plan on responding any more (although as noted, I said I don't plan on further responses and am reserving the right to pontificate further if the Muses strike me.)

My parents couldn't attend the regional or semifinals this year in football to watch their grandson; the games were not broadcasted; I called them at half and after the game with updates.

LN in the above post you said you called your sons grandparents on the phone to update them at Halftime of the game to let them know the score. Well if the BOKC plays by the same standards they are putting on computers, what prevents them from not allowing you to make a cell phone call to update friends from the BOKC during the games? Really I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't do that, as there is no difference between bloging via a computer and using your phone to update freinds not attending the game live with the scores...:confused:

Your point is a valid one, although I seriously doubt that BOK can practically prevent people from using their cell phones and providing updates, do you? My self imposed blackout on this thread didn't last too long, did it? LOL.

Doesn't Murray State host the 1st Region? Do they impose a blackout?

NO! Multiple radio stations broadcast for the various 1st region teams and some even do all the games even when their team is not involved or has been beaten out of play.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if there have been successful tourneys around the state under similar circumstances like Diddle etc... why, when this event was being planned, weren't inquiries made then to ensure that we would model ourselves after those who have already learned how to do it right? When tickets went on sale, Sportsguy41017 was right on and ahead of the game in questioning and hoping that they would make most of the event General Admission, which they did not. (Of course, that's just one of the many concerns and condundrums that have evolved out of this whole mess), but this type of event is much different than what most arena events are all about. The Stars of the show are bringing all the excitement to their mothers, fathers, friends, classmates, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandpas, grandmas, alumni, and the whole general local community. Not exactly the same kind of scenario that most arena events bring. It's an unwritten story line where the players are 'still to be determined' and 'too be continued' throughout the whole tournament. Some folks may go to every game, but some just may follow their team as far as they go. Trying to model it in various ways, along with other contractual flaws, along with other types of arena events is just shortsighted. You gotta be on the pulse of what the event's about before you make decisions on how the event needs to be handled. Reserved seating for this event is just one good example of a bad idea for multitudes of reasons that others have already spelled out. I hope they can clear all of this up before the tourney starts, but if not, hopefully they'll do better research on this for perhaps a really nice smoothly run event in the not too distant years to come. Like next year for starters. :ohbrother:

I can't ever remember a radio blackout in the 14th region. We rotate the tournament between 6 sites, and radio and tape-delayed TV broadcast have occured for a long time without issue.

I doubt that the 10th region will ever vote for the tournament to be held at the BOKC again. They've probably lost that region with this policy. First time to host the event and make a positive impression on the 10th and they blew it, IMVHO.