Bank of Kentucky & the 9th and 10th Region - No Radio/Internet Broadcasting

If the fans feel so strongly about it, contact their schools (not the President of NKU who has much more important things to be concerned with, like dealing with funding issues in Frankfort) and tell them that the schools should give up their guarantee money so people unable to attend the games can hear it on the radio/internet.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Especially since President V. can't really force SMG to do anything from my understanding.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents couldn't attend the regional or semifinals this year in football to watch their grandson; the games were not broadcasted; I called them at half and after the game with updates.

LN in the above post you said you called your sons grandparents on the phone to update them at Halftime of the game to let them know the score. Well if the BOKC plays by the same standards they are putting on computers, what prevents them from not allowing you to make a cell phone call to update friends from the BOKC during the games? Really I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't do that, as there is no difference between bloging via a computer and using your phone to update freinds not attending the game live with the scores...:confused:

Yeah I'm sure they are going to have people walking around monitoring cell phone/texting of game information!!! Wow

Yeah I'm sure they are going to have people walking around monitoring cell phone/texting of game information!!! Wow

But you do agree then, that there is no difference between what some of the school internet broadcasters are wanting to do and what you say some people will be doing anyway, correct? I mean neither CovCath nor Bishop Brossart makes a dime on broadcasting these games and they too are just letting people know what is going on inside the arena like you when using a cell phone to call or text friends! Heck if those friends then post your texts of reports on BGP's as a game update, heck the crowd of people might even be larger seeing your text updates....

I believe all the radio broadcasters/internet folks (KR Sports, CovCath, Brossart, and buttels) all do a great service providing coverage of the games to the blind and handicapped that otherwise can't attend due to their disability.

It seems to me that NKU shares blame for not being inclusive as they generally are towards these folks.

NKU has been strangely silent on the issue. They are usually very inclusve towards these groups, and I am surprised on their lack of foresight towards these people.

Whether or not they are running the 9th and 10th Region tournaments, the fact remains, it is located on their campus, and NKU should step in as some leadership is needed here.

I believe all the radio broadcasters/internet folks (KR Sports, CovCath, Brossart, and buttels) all do a great service providing coverage of the games to the blind and handicapped that otherwise can't attend due to their disability.

It seems to me that NKU shares blame for not being inclusive as they generally are towards these folks.

NKU has been strangely silent on the issue. They are usually very inclusve towards these groups, and I am surprised on their lack of foresight towards these people.

Whether or not they are running the 9th and 10th Region tournaments, the fact remains, it is located on their campus, and NKU should step in as some leadership is needed here.

It might be located on their campus, but they do not own the building. And they do not control what goes on inside it. Heck, a couple of basketball games next weekend must be moved back to Regents because SMG is bringing in the circus to the BOKC. That only shows how much control NKU has over this. I know that NKU may get some negative publicity from this, but I feel it is not deserved.

But you do agree then, that there is no difference between what some of the school internet broadcasters are wanting to do and what you say some people will be doing anyway, correct? I mean neither CovCath nor Bishop Brossart makes a dime on broadcasting these games and they too are just letting people know what is going on inside the arena like you when using a cell phone to call or text friends! Heck if those friends then post your texts of reports on BGP's as a game update, heck the crowd of people might even be larger seeing your text updates....

To further reinforce your point, let me offer this: Many webcasters could broadcast the game by simply calling in on their cell phones. If you saw me sitting in the crowd in the stands talking on my cell phone - unless you sat next to me and heard what I was saying - you wouldn't know if I was talking to Aunt Martha back home or my computer that is webcasting the game. I could be doing the play-by-play broadcast...

To further reinforce your point, let me offer this: Many webcasters could broadcast the game by simply calling in on their cell phones. If you saw me sitting in the crowd in the stands talking on my cell phone - unless you sat next to me and heard what I was saying - you wouldn't know if I was talking to Aunt Martha back home or my computer that is webcasting the game. I could be doing the play-by-play broadcast...

Hahaha Colonel might be onto something.

I can't ever remember a radio blackout in the 14th region. We rotate the tournament between 6 sites, and radio and tape-delayed TV broadcast have occured for a long time without issue.

I doubt that the 10th region will ever vote for the tournament to be held at the BOKC again. They've probably lost that region with this policy. First time to host the event and make a positive impression on the 10th and they blew it, IMVHO.

Three of the four districts will probably feel that way. However, when it's the 37th's turn in the rotation four years from now, who knows?

I'm sure that the BOKC is a very nice facility. I've gotten the impression, however, that some of us poor 10th Region fans should be honored to cross the threshold, genuflecting as we enter.

However, it's not like the tourney has been held in ratholes up until now. And as has been made clear in this thread, it's not JUST about the facility - it's about everything that comes with running a tournament.

I will concede the point that has been made by LN and others that the "schools that signed the contract", for lack of better terminology, bear much of the responsibility in this.:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Especially since President V. can't really force SMG to do anything from my understanding.

Not entirely true. NKU chose SMG as its arena management company through a competitive bid process before construction started on the arena and SMG's contract will eventually be up for renewal (maybe as early as 2 - 4 years). As a result, NKU has a tremendous amount of influence and maybe next time NKU will hire Global Spectrum (the other management company who bid on the NKU arena management contract).

I'm sure that the BOKC is a very nice facility. I've gotten the impression, however, that some of us poor 10th Region fans should be honored to cross the threshold, genuflecting as we enter.

However, it's not like the tourney has been held in ratholes up until now. And as has been made clear in this thread, it's not JUST about the facility - it's about everything that comes with running a tournament.

I will concede the point that has been made by LN and others that the "schools that signed the contract", for lack of better terminology, bear much of the responsibility in this.:thumb:

Why did the 10th move it?

That's a great idea!!!! That could definately be done............accepting PM's.

Why did the 10th move it?

Here's my understanding. The schools of each district choose the venue, in rotation. Has to be a majority vote of the schools to change the venue.

Last year it was the 40th district's turn, and with Montgomery County building a new gym, the schools of the 40th chose to have the regional tourney there. There were some concerns going in - with Mt. Sterling being at the far end of the region, would travel costs keep folks away? With significantly fewer seats than the Fieldhouse at Mason County, the traditional host of the 10th Region tournament, would everybody who wanted to attend actually get to attend? Would the participating schools be assured revenues commensurate with those received in prior years (because of the smaller gym)? It was said that if the gate didn't result in revenue shares for the participants that were equal to the previous year, local businesses in Mt. Sterling would pony up the difference.

The tourney went smoothly, from what I heard and saw. I do not know how attendance/gate figures compared from 2007 to 2008.

This year it was the 37th's turn. With the availability of the BOKC, those schools chose to have the tourney there. I am not an insider, so I don't know if this issue of restricted broadcasts was known to all parties up front or not.

I'm guessing that the tourney will be at Mason County in 2010 and 2011; with the schools of the 38th and 39th districts' turns in the rotation coming up.