Greenup County Football Coach

recpark

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot of posts calling for a "disciplinarian"... the problem is everyone wants a disciplinarian until their kid is disciplined... or more accurately, until some "key" parents are told they can't do something that they want to do...

Solve this and you win the prize.:thumb:

:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

Hey doc, you didn't get your white collar from sports, I know where you got it. As for you coupon, I mean coupon, toughen up. Now back to the subject, we need a strict disciplinarian to take the helm, for the kids sake as well as the sideline coaches.
Toughen up? I'm the toughest man in 3 counties.:fight:

I've read a lot of posts calling for a "disciplinarian"... the problem is everyone wants a disciplinarian until their kid is disciplined... or more accurately, until some "key" parents are told they can't do something that they want to do...
This could be a problem anywhere. I for one believe if you set the disipline bar high right out of the gates, you will get respect from the parents and kids.

This could be a problem anywhere. I for one believe if you set the disipline bar high right out of the gates, you will get respect from the parents and kids.

I agree but not only this but be consistent, you can't have rules for certain people and then no rules for others. GCHS had boys that were out all spring, summer and fall and then some boys walked on after fall season started.

That's what we need Bigdaddy, plain and simple, he needs to come in and say this is my team, this is the way it is going to be, the first time someone says something to him about playing time, he needs to tell them to take their kid and hit the road, no matter who it is, that is what needs to happen.:thumb:

I keep hearing about GC only having a 41.0 percent winning percentage, let's take a look at all the schools in the area. I believe they all would have a hard time breaching the 41% total. East Carter, West Carter, Lewis County, Fleeming County, Rowan County, Boyd County, Morgan County, Bath County, Fairview, Lawrence County and even Johnson Central had a rough time a few years back. The point is it's tough on all these schools. Folks, they are county schools and the culture of our county schools has changed in the past 15 years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only schools in our area that has had strong football programs for the past 20 years are the independent schools: Ashland, Russell and Raceland. As far as revamping the football facilities, that would be great. The BOE has not revamped any of the other sports programs, but they have started in the right direction, they have an excellent high school. Things won't change overnight, so allow the right people to make good choices and don't get bent out of shape if the choices are yours. Thats' the first step in change.

I keep hearing about GC only having a 41.0 percent winning percentage, let's take a look at all the schools in the area. I believe they all would have a hard time breaching the 41% total. East Carter, West Carter, Lewis County, Fleeming County, Rowan County, Boyd County, Morgan County, Bath County, Fairview, Lawrence County and even Johnson Central had a rough time a few years back. The point is it's tough on all these schools. Folks, they are county schools and the culture of our county schools has changed in the past 15 years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only schools in our area that has had strong football programs for the past 20 years are the independent schools: Ashland, Russell and Raceland. As far as revamping the football facilities, that would be great. The BOE has not revamped any of the other sports programs, but they have started in the right direction, they have an excellent high school. Things won't change overnight, so allow the right people to make good choices and don't get bent out of shape if the choices are yours. Thats' the first step in change.

Amen! Outsider, Its hard to get that community support and involvement when part of your community is 30 to 40 miles away from the school.

When we speak of facilities, let's not lose perspective. I obviously am around the Raceland program a lot more than I am Greenup now. The idea of the facilities and needing new grass, bleachers and weight room, etc., are valid and needed, I am not questioning that. However, has anyone ever looked at Raceland's field, fieldhouse, weight room or the stands? First, they are old and out of date and in need of replacement. Heck, the field has to extend onto the track in the corners of the endzones. The weight room is two classrooms in the old High School. My point is, this does not hinder the program from being successful. Pride, hardwork, community involvement and administrative involvement as well as good coaching have more to do with the success of Raceland football than the condition of facilities.

Lawrence Co was as good as there was in Eastern KY through the 90's. It's been pretty sad this decade though.

When we speak of facilities, let's not lose perspective. I obviously am around the Raceland program a lot more than I am Greenup now. The idea of the facilities and needing new grass, bleachers and weight room, etc., are valid and needed, I am not questioning that. However, has anyone ever looked at Raceland's field, fieldhouse, weight room or the stands? First, they are old and out of date and in need of replacement. Heck, the field has to extend onto the track in the corners of the endzones. The weight room is two classrooms in the old High School. My point is, this does not hinder the program from being successful. Pride, hardwork, community involvement and administrative involvement as well as good coaching have more to do with the success of Raceland football than the condition of facilities.

Well said Doc...:thumb: Ram support from top to bottom is super.

Good Point

It's not the weight room or the equipment. If you have player's putting up weak numbers in the weight room don't expect to much on the field. It's all determination and commitment to excellence. But also goes back to getting the big and stronger kids out to play. I hope somebody has the weight room rolling after christmas break if not expect the same in 09 season.