Greenup County Football Coach

recpark

Sammons absolutely deserves credit for the nice playoff run last year... he put in a nice little 2 back set with two good athletes on either side of Craft that was very hard to defend....I'm not that familier with Nathan McPeek.... but after what Gary did at GC, who can doubt the coaching bloodlines in that family..... come to think of it.... how about a second McPeek coaching at GC???

The new head coach will be given the opportunity to bring in some assistant coaches with him... hopefully this will help improve the applicant pool.... and for the record, Sammons was given the same opportunity but didn't take it...

How do you know Sammons was given the same opportunity? and in what ways? When was the last time anything was done to the facilities that is worthy of mentioning? How many of the folks around the program were cutting him at the knees, including some in the admin? My point being, things are going to have to change in every aspect of the GCHS program, attitudes by all involved, facilities need upgraded, and the support needs to be given in every aspect or there will be a continued 41% winning average in our program, that is the stat and that is the history, time for an overhaul in the entire program.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new coach, or hopefully one of his qualified assistants, will need to bring a focus on defense. This is one area that could see some impovement with practice on hitting and tackling. Very little practice time, under Sammons, was spent on defense. The boys have a great deal of talent, and most have played together since their early JFL days. I saw alot of bad tackles this year...

One other suggestion is that the new coach be required to get involved with JFL and the Middle school programs. When TJ was here he went to the JFL and middle school games and practices. He shared information and was there to encourage the "young musketeers in training." Sammons never left the High School. :walk:

As for all the negativity, and boy there is more politics here than I have ever seen in my life, I really hope it will change. There are quite a few parents who were discouraged from volunteering because of this.

Open your eyes pigskinman...I gave the kids credit for their play, but that doesn't change the fact that the district or the competition was weak...period. You can't see the forest for the trees, but one day hopefully you will.

Your backhanded complement is a strange way of giving the kids credit. The bad/weak trees and the negativity they espouse need to be overcome for the forest to thrive.:fight:

Look I say let Greenup Co. worry about who they are going to get to coach their team. Plus it will be a while before that happens. Good luck to the future GC team and fans. I hope every thing works out for them. :thumb:
I dont think it is going to take as long as you think.... This is going to happen ASAP.

Your backhanded complement is a strange way of giving the kids credit. The bad/weak trees and the negativity they espouse need to be overcome for the forest to thrive.:fight:

The 4A district is weak, we all know it. It's not the players fault, and I don't think anyone is blaming the players for it, they have no control what district they are in, or what district teams they play.

I feel confident that if you asked any Head coach in that district they would tell you the same thing, the district is not the strongest, but it is competitive. The only way to make the district stronger is for all the teams in that district to get stronger. The potential it there, and I think the district will get stronger over time.

You shouldn't take it personal that the district is one of the weaker ones. It is just the way it is right now.

I thought there was going to be this "search", has it even been posted? You obviously know something.
There is going to be a search, I'm just saying that this will not drag on. When the new coach is found this will get done quick,so he can begin working on fixing things.

How is it "back-handed"? I said they made a nice run, but that STILL doesn't change the fact that: 1. the district was weak 2. there was only four teams in the district, so they were going regardless, & 3. they went into the playoffs with a 3-7 record. In any non-four team district, they wouldn't have been there. All of their victories were against teams with losing records.

Greenup caught "lightning in a bottle" (so to speak) & made a nice run, but didn't beat anyone in the playoffs outside of their district, & then lost when they did face outside competition (Harrison Co.), although they played well in that particular game.

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

Mark Twain

TJ wasn't so bad after all was he, almost all the post on here are about getting a new coach with no ties to the Greenup situation wake up guys WE HAD HIM AND RAN HIM OFF-TJ Maynard.The winningest coach in the history of GC Football. Until the parents of GC learn to sit in the bleachers and let the coaches do their job, we will never have a great football program.By the way I dont know even I person from GC that has made a living playing sports.WAKE UP.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

How is it "back-handed"? I said they made a nice run, but that STILL doesn't change the fact that: 1. the district was weak 2. there was only four teams in the district, so they were going regardless, & 3. they went into the playoffs with a 3-7 record. In any non-four team district, they wouldn't have been there. All of their victories were against teams with losing records.

Greenup caught "lightning in a bottle" (so to speak) & made a nice run, but didn't beat anyone in the playoffs outside of their district, & then lost when they did face outside competition (Harrison Co.), although they played well in that particular game.

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

Mark Twain

Accentuate the positive not minimize

TJ wasn't so bad after all was he, almost all the post on here are about getting a new coach with no ties to the greenup situation wake up guys WE HAD HIM AND RAN HIM OFF-TJ Maynard.The winningest coach in the history of GC Football. Until the parents of GC learn to sit in the bleachers and let the coaches do their job, we will never have a great football program.By the way I dont know even I person from GC that has made a living playing sports.WAKE UP.

You're on to something, bro:thumb:

TJ wasn't so bad after all was he, almost all the post on here are about getting a new coach with no ties to the Greenup situation wake up guys WE HAD HIM AND RAN HIM OFF-TJ Maynard.The winningest coach in the history of GC Football. Until the parents of GC learn to sit in the bleachers and let the coaches do their job, we will never have a great football program.By the way I dont know even I person from GC that has made a living playing sports.WAKE UP.

I got new for you: I would like to see Sammons back at Raceland too. I hope something works out and he is back at Raceland as an assistant coach again. I have told several people this, and I haven't found anyone that has said anything but, "Me too".

Totally agree....:D

I got new for you: I would like to see Sammons back at Raceland too. I hope something works out and he is back at Raceland as an assistant coach again. I have told several people this, and I haven't found anyone that has said anything but, "Me too".
Sammons is a good asssistant, noone has ever doubted that.