Greenup County Football Coach

recpark

I agree, the new coach has to have the support of everone involved. I wonder, though, when it is mentioned that Sammons did not recieve the support of the administration, are we talking money??? (for equipment, travel, etc.)

Don't know about that but I would guess, again, that he had to deal with everything the rest of the coaches dealt with before him, just look at the facilities, weight room, field nothing's been done to them worth mentioning...

The nay sayers may believe that the political situation at Greenup can not change, but perhaps with new leaders at the top this is possible. For starters, how about closed practices or not letting dads in the locker room. Is Greenup the only school where the parents are mowing and painting the Field? Shouldn't the administration step up and take responsibility for maintaining the field? Purchasing uniforms? Taking charge of these types of things would show "support" for the new coach and also take the power out of the hands of some of the sideline coaches (parents.)

:confused:

Great point!:thumb:

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of parents being in the locker rooms at other schools. I know that last year Ashland head coach conducted closed practices becasue of friends I have whos kids played there. I believe maintanance takes care of cutting the grass at Russell but the boosters club does just about everything else. JFL committee takes care of shrubs and flowers under the scoreboard. Cant remember all the details but it involves alot of groups working together to get it all prepared before fridays game.

I have never heard of parents being in the locker rooms at other schools. I know that last year Ashland head coach conducted closed practices becasue of friends I have whos kids played there. I believe maintanance takes care of cutting the grass at Russell but the boosters club does just about everything else. JFL committee takes care of shrubs and flowers under the scoreboard. Cant remember all the details but it involves alot of groups working together to get it all prepared before fridays game.

As a Mom, the only time I ever went into the locker room was to decorate the lockers and put in goody bags after the boys left on Thursday night. I went in 2 times before to take pictures of the seniors. The parents mow the grass, paint the field, clean the stands and pull the weeds at Greenup County. Usually, it is the same group of parents, not a lot people want to mess us their "suits/clothes" Most of these parents are senior parents - so will be interesting what happens next year.

What I'm interested in seeing is what type of offence Greenup will be running next year! Will they stay with the Tony Franklin offence or will they go back to playing power football?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I would be willing to guess the TF system is gone.

Good! I sure hope so, there were many times I felt the whole "wrist band system" caused unecessary delays getting the play off.

MOM55, Yes, it did seem that most of the working parents were senior parents, (but not all) but never fear, all will be handled. I am sure each graduating group thinks that things will "fall apart" in their absence. Fresh faces and attitudes may be just what GC needs. There are quite a few parents out there willing to volunteer as long as the work comes sans the clique and high school drama!:ylsuper:

Hey guys it dosen't matter what system they run as long as the person running it has the respect of the kids, not our respect but that of the players. Look no farther than our baseball team, theres no harder working kids or coaches in the tri-state, look at the results. By far the top team in the region, and the top ten in the state. Believe it or not kids like to be pushed and the ones that really want to play will respect you. It does not matter if mom or dad leaves goodies in the locker room or mows the grass.

As a Mom, the only time I ever went into the locker room was to decorate the lockers and put in goody bags after the boys left on Thursday night. I went in 2 times before to take pictures of the seniors. The parents mow the grass, paint the field, clean the stands and pull the weeds at Greenup County. Usually, it is the same group of parents, not a lot people want to mess us their "suits/clothes" Most of these parents are senior parents - so will be interesting what happens next year.

Well that is great Mom55 and I am sure that stuff happens as well everyplace and was not what I really had in mind earlier. The decorated lockers is an awesome moral booster. I know the Russell boosters and parents do a great deal for their team, but like everyplace it usually is just a handfull that take up the majority of the tasks.

Can Greenup develop a football powerhouse? Just wondering if it could attract a big name coach or not? Not knocking their program just wonder if the talent is their and support of the administration is there?

The talent is there, strong sophomore class and some young players coming up always through the JFL (we have great coaches at that level for the most part), however because of the program's issues through the years some of that talent has gone to other schools in the county. The right person comes in and gets all the talent in the school to come out there is most definitely potential. There were a lot of athletes walking the halls during football season.

One other suggestion is that the new coach be required to get involved with JFL and the Middle school programs. When TJ was here he went to the JFL and middle school games and practices. He shared information and was there to encourage the "young musketeers in training." Sammons never left the High School.

This is something that will be vital for the program to survive and build for the future. Not only does the new HC have to get to know those kids also but they MUST run the same system, same term. and same blocking schemes. This will result in kids being familiar with offense and defensive systems early on in their high school careers and spend less time teaching more time repping.

There are a lot of posts on here with very little insight. We have a number of posts stating change is near, soon and coming quickly. We have posts that state it will be January. We have people bashing coaches for who knows why and they are just names brought up and possible good fits and people bashed for presenting information to the board.

I think it is good to bring up names of who you think would do a good job. I strongly disagree with people speaking negatively against the people being brought up. What is wrong with just stating you disagree with Coach A coming or you think Coach B is not a good fit in your opinion? But stating personal beefs or just not liking someone for their clothes or where they used to coach and/or left is down right disrespectful.

The way people are posting on this thread and the previous one that I started and Ram had to lock are the exact reasons that it is hard to find a coach or keep one.

Now, when are we going to discuss the coaching possibilities in a constructive manner? When this occurs, I'll start posting again. I am friends with Coach Preston and he does not deserve to be spoken about in this manner. As a matter of fact, some owe him an apology. I have spoken to him myself to apologize, just because my post made it look I was bashing him, too. This would not have been necessary if people were not "under armouring" him and the like.