Greenup County Football Coach

recpark

I keep hearing about GC only having a 41.0 percent winning percentage, let's take a look at all the schools in the area. I believe they all would have a hard time breaching the 41% total. East Carter, West Carter, Lewis County, Fleeming County, Rowan County, Boyd County, Morgan County, Bath County, Fairview, Lawrence County and even Johnson Central had a rough time a few years back. The point is it's tough on all these schools. Folks, they are county schools and the culture of our county schools has changed in the past 15 years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only schools in our area that has had strong football programs for the past 20 years are the independent schools: Ashland, Russell and Raceland. As far as revamping the football facilities, that would be great. The BOE has not revamped any of the other sports programs, but they have started in the right direction, they have an excellent high school. Things won't change overnight, so allow the right people to make good choices and don't get bent out of shape if the choices are yours. Thats' the first step in change.

That is a cop out and I don't buy it, there is no reason not to have a winning tradition, why do you think Raceland and Russell do, because kids that want to play at a winning tradition go and play there. If we keep this attitude then we will continue to have a 41% winning percentage...

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out that GCHS has ordered $45,000 in new weight room equipment and going to move it from it's current location and turn that facility into a varsity locker room and also at the next BOE meeting I think $27,000 is going to get approved to put new sprinklers on the field, as well as adding a new crown, and putting Bermuda grass on the field, I would personally like to see turf but we have a plan for that too. We are going to work on the other facilities as well, bleachers, etc, I was also told that GCHS is hiring a strength coach if they haven't already for the entire athletic program... When we get our head coach he will also have input in what he wants for his facilities, Matt and Chris are going to be completely supportive of whomever they hire. They are going to be aggressive in their search, we will hear more rumors about folks being contacted but just because they have been contacted doesn't mean anything is official or promised to them. They want a strong pool of applicants to interview. All you coaches out there that are reading this thread, if you think you can make a positive difference and want to turn a program around, well right now is the time, the support will be there, the BOE will be behind you, times are changing at GCHS, apply for this position.

We will also be giving kids rides to and from practice every day so if a kid wants to play he will have a ride.

That is a cop out and I don't buy it, there is no reason not to have a winning tradition, why do you think Raceland and Russell do, because kids that want to play at a winning tradition go and play there. If we keep this attitude then we will continue to have a 41% winning percentage...

I agree the kids have to want to play but, when you live five minutes from the weight room compared to 20 to 30 minutes it takes more commitment from kids and parents in the these economic times. GC can be successful going to take some work. :thumb:

Edited by bluekyblue
wording

If memory serves me correctly, Coach Sammons took Portsmouth West to the championship game in OHIO before taking his dream job at GC. For the record - he's more than a good assistant.

For the record, that group of West side boys who were runners up in state had winning seasons from Pee Wee to their senior year in high school. Just saying Sammons had a very good group to work with. They won several championships in the county before they got to high school whoever was coaching them. ;)

I am not so sure about the "cop out" comment. There has to be a "commitment to Excellence" attitude in the boys and from those around them. That means when there is Spring practice, have your butt there. When Summer practice is going on, have your butt there. When you have a weight program in the winter, have your butt there. If you are allowing your kids to play, have their butts there when they are suppose to be there. If you have an "I don't care" attitude about your kid, don't waste eveyone's time by allowing him to come out for the team, because YOU will let everyone else down that is depending on him. Jmho.

I am not so sure about the "cop out" comment. There has to be a "commitment to Excellence" attitude in the boys and from those around them. That means when there is Spring practice, have your butt there. When Summer practice is going on, have your butt there. When you have a weight program in the winter, have your butt there. If you are allowing your kids to play, have their butts there when they are suppose to be there. If you have an "I don't care" attitude about your kid, don't waste eveyone's time by allowing him to come out for the team, because YOU will let everyone else down that is depending on him. Jmho.

I agree, the cop out remark was made toward the excuse of all the other teams around us having a loosing record, that is a cop out..

Yes, usually last period but that may change when the new strength coach gets on board.

You can have all the equipment in the world... great coaching, and all the community and administrative support in the world, without a bunch of kids busting their tails in the weight room, the record next year won't be any better than this year... we'll be dominated by juniors next year who will really have their work cut out for them... this may be a 2 year process, so everyone needs to stay positive, support the new coach when he's hired and don't pout and start putting out "feelers" to other schools when things don't go your way... that's the number 1 problem at GC.... selfishness, when someone does not get their way, they want to take their kids elsewhere, blame the SS Mafia, the "good ole' boy system", lack of administrative support, etc......

Things can change, but we've all got to stick together.... we may even get some folks to come back home..... hear that Doc?? I sure would love to see you wearing green and gold again.....

Just found out that GCHS has ordered $45,000 in new weight room equipment and going to move it from it's current location and turn that facility into a varsity locker room and also at the next BOE meeting I think $27,000 is going to get approved to put new sprinklers on the field, as well as adding a new crown, and putting Bermuda grass on the field, I would personally like to see turf but we have a plan for that too. We are going to work on the other facilities as well, bleachers, etc, I was also told that GCHS is hiring a strength coach if they haven't already for the entire athletic program... When we get our head coach he will also have input in what he wants for his facilities, Matt and Chris are going to be completely supportive of whomever they hire. They are going to be aggressive in their search, we will hear more rumors about folks being contacted but just because they have been contacted doesn't mean anything is official or promised to them. They want a strong pool of applicants to interview. All you coaches out there that are reading this thread, if you think you can make a positive difference and want to turn a program around, well right now is the time, the support will be there, the BOE will be behind you, times are changing at GCHS, apply for this position.

We will also be giving kids rides to and from practice every day so if a kid wants to play he will have a ride.

I keep hearing all this money flashed around - but who is going to support the daily needs of the team i.e. cleats, arm bands, coaches shirts & hats, etc.? And where is the money coming from for a new position a strength coach and what type of transportation are you talking about? Isn't this a little a head of us right now?

These are things that need to be put in motion to show change and movement towards improving the program and its identity. There does not need to be a coach hired for the BOE to take it upon themselves and visit the facilities, lighting, and general maintence type things needs to be updated.

Someone once told me, "U are either advancing or backing up". No suck thing as staying the same. Gotta be on the move to improve or u are only going to get worse.

I keep hearing all this money flashed around - but who is going to support the daily needs of the team i.e. cleats, arm bands, coaches shirts & hats, etc.? And where is the money coming from for a new position a strength coach and what type of transportation are you talking about? Isn't this a little a head of us right now?

No it's not ahead of us it is called progress and myself and a couple of other parents will volunteer their time to pick up the kids.

How many Seniors, Juniors and Sophmores are projected to return for next season?

39 players returning with a really good junior class coming in, they dominated at the Freshman level and only lost to Ashland when they were Freshman in JV and Freshman ball, a lot of talent if they stay together and that will all depend on our coach that we bring into GCHS, I really think the future is very bright.

The really good thing is there are a lot of great athletes walking the halls at GCHS too and the right coach will bring them out too.