Greenup County Football Coach

recpark

Maybe I should have said, younger, inexperienced players.... I agree that there were some pretty good skill position players for GC.... I think the Musketeers could have a bright future with the right coach... they have a strong sophomore class... most of which will be starting next year as juniors.... those kids will need to step up bigtime... and need to get in the weightroom NOW!!!

Good post! And we need to hit that weight room right now, hard!:flame:

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks Preston was the reason GC did well in the playoffs last year or is the reason Fairview did well this year is a complete idiot..... Preston tried to get back in at Raceland after GC let him go and Raceland didn't want him, what does that tell you? He talks a good game, and looks the part (I think everything the man owns is UnderArmour)... but he is NOT head coaching material!!!!! People in coaching and administration know this already....

Coach Sammons and Coach McPeek deserve credit for any success at their programs. Point was good assistants are worth something. Hopefully, the administration at GC will support the new coach more than they did Coach Sammons.:cool:

I guess your cerebrum doesn't comprehend that ALL head coaches had to start with their first head coaching job. I think the direction Greenup is trying to move in is to commit to being successful!!! The reputation that Greenup has for treating their head coaches is poor and I think luring a high profile candidate is dismal. It may prove hard even getting a quality assistant coach that is already at a good program. People at Greenup who know Preston understand they would be lucky to get him. If memory serves me correct, the only year he was here we made it to the region finals for the first time in 30 years(and that's at Greenup Co.). Coach Preston at GC is purely speculation, who knows if he would even want to come back. IMPORTANT TO NOTE: He isn't from GC. :p

I comprehend well enough to know that NO head coach worth anything got their first head coaching position wiith only 1 1/2 years of experience as an assistant. If you can name one who has & has/is still a head coach & successful let me know because I don't know of any. And If you think they would hire one, I have some great beachfront property in Greenup to sell you. If Greenup Co. does hire a very inexperienced assistant coach, it is because: 1. Nobody else with any worthy experience wanted it, & 2. The person with virtually no experience hasn't done his homework on the situation they're about to get into, & has never been a head coach & wants to become one very badly. And of course you have to start somewhere for the first time; thanks for overstating the obvious. Evidently everyone but you knew what I meant.

Secondly, the weak district & weak playoff competition was the ONLY reason Greenup made the playoffs & advanced very far in the first place (with a losing record), although I will give their kids credit for their nice playoff run. Greenup has had other teams (mainly during Coach Maynard's tenure) that could have made the region finals in Greenup's current district setup, & probably would have won a few, but didn't since the previous district setup was alot tougher.

And lastly, I know he's not from GC. I didn't say he was...re-read my post. I said he was on Coach Sammon's staff, and if they're going in a different direction then I doubt (as I said in my previous post) they'd bring in someone from the staff of the coach that just left.

There are alot of assistant coaches who would apply for the job because they want to be a head coach, but that doesn't mean that they could deal with the current situation that exists now, or turn the program around.

For the record, I hope they do get a quality coach who can deal with everything involved, & that he can make a positive difference.

I comprehend well enough to know that NO head coach worth anything got their first head coaching position wiith only 1 1/2 years of experience as an assistant. If you can name one who has & has/is still a head coach & successful let me know because I don't know of any. And If you think they would hire one, I have some great beachfront property in Greenup to sell you. If Greenup Co. does hire a very inexperienced assistant coach, it is because: 1. Nobody else with any worthy experience wanted it, & 2. The person with virtually no experience hasn't done his homework on the situation they're about to get into, & has never been a head coach & wants to become one very badly. And of course you have to start somewhere for the first time; thanks for overstating the obvious. Evidently everyone but you knew what I meant.

Secondly, the weak district & weak playoff competition was the ONLY reason Greenup made the playoffs & advanced very far in the first place (with a losing record), although I will give their kids credit for their nice playoff run. Greenup has had other teams (mainly during Coach Maynard's tenure) that could have made the region finals in Greenup's current district setup, & probably would have won a few, but didn't since the previous district setup was alot tougher.

And lastly, I know he's not from GC. I didn't say he was...re-read my post. I said he was on Coach Sammon's staff, and if they're going in a different direction then I doubt (as I said in my previous post) they'd bring in someone from the staff of the coach that just left.

There are alot of assistant coaches who would apply for the job because they want to be a head coach, but that doesn't mean that they could deal with the current situation that exists now, or turn the program around.

For the record, I hope they do get a quality coach who can deal with everything involved, & that he can make a positive difference.

I agree 2 football seasons does not qualify for a head coaching position. I know he started at Boyd Co. under Coach Damron several years ago. The kids don't deserve your comments about equating any success last year with weak competition. They came very close to beating good Mason County and Harrison Co. teams. Any success should have been built on. Believe it or not there is strong player/parent support for him, however, word is he's content in Westwood so don't waste your time and move on to the next lucky guy.

Coach Sammons and Coach McPeek deserve credit for any success at their programs. Point was good assistants are worth something. Hopefully, the administration at GC will support the new coach more than they did Coach Sammons.:cool:

Sammons absolutely deserves credit for the nice playoff run last year... he put in a nice little 2 back set with two good athletes on either side of Craft that was very hard to defend....I'm not that familier with Nathan McPeek.... but after what Gary did at GC, who can doubt the coaching bloodlines in that family..... come to think of it.... how about a second McPeek coaching at GC???

The new head coach will be given the opportunity to bring in some assistant coaches with him... hopefully this will help improve the applicant pool.... and for the record, Sammons was given the same opportunity but didn't take it...

Sammons absolutely deserves credit for the nice playoff run last year... he put in a nice little 2 back set with two good athletes on either side of Craft that was very hard to defend....I'm not that familier with Nathan McPeek.... but after what Gary did at GC, who can doubt the coaching bloodlines in that family..... come to think of it.... how about a second McPeek coaching at GC???

The new head coach will be given the opportunity to bring in some assistant coaches with him... hopefully this will help improve the applicant pool.... and for the record, Sammons was given the same opportunity but didn't take it...

I guess you can always dream(McPeek at GC). From my understanding, Sammons was always trying to get the support needed from administration. The lack of support seems to be a recurring problem.

Look I say let Greenup Co. worry about who they are going to get to coach their team. Plus it will be a while before that happens. Good luck to the future GC team and fans. I hope every thing works out for them. :thumb:

I agree 2 football seasons does not qualify for a head coaching position. I know he started at Boyd Co. under Coach Damron several years ago. The kids don't deserve your comments about equating any success last year with weak competition. They came very close to beating good Mason County and Harrison Co. teams. Any success should have been built on. Believe it or not there is strong player/parent support for him, however, word is he's content in Westwood so don't waste your time and move on to the next lucky guy.

Open your eyes pigskinman...I gave the kids credit for their play, but that doesn't change the fact that the district or the competition was weak...period. You can't see the forest for the trees, but one day hopefully you will.

Edited by The Cerebral Assassin
spelling

Went to the game last night (by the way good job Rams) any way I was told by one of the officials (that was there not working just visiting) that he had heard that Fairviews coach was interested in the job. I believe that some people will be surprised by head coaches that do actually apply for this job and really we won't even know who all of them are because it will be confidential. I have confidence that a great coach is on the way if we don't keep a positive attitude on this then what is the use in even caring. If indeed a first time asst. coach is hired then as GC fans lets get behind him and support the team. Every body starts somewhere . And I for one am ready for a new beginning for GREENUP:dancingpa

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Open your eyes pigskinman...I gave the kids credit for their play, but that doesn't change the fact that the district or the competition was weak...period. You can't see the forest for the trees, but one day hopefully you will.

Greenup shouldn't feel alone, you discredited Boyd Co. as well.

Greenup shouldn't feel alone, you discredited Boyd Co. as well.

Well, the facts don't lie...sorry. Anyone else would state (and be able to see) the obvious based on those facts. I know Lee Evans, & I'm sure he'd agree as well. Lee's a good coach, as evidenced by Boyd's improvement from last year by winning the district with a 7-4 record.

Went to the game last night (by the way good job rams) any way I was told by one of the officials (that was there not working just visiting) that he had heard that fairviews coach was interested in the job. I believe that some people will be surprised by head coaches that do actually apply for this job and really we won't even know who all of them are because it will be confidential. I have confidence that a great coach is on the way if we don't keep a positive attitude on this then what is the use in even caring. If indeed a first time asst. coach is hired then as GC fans lets get behind him and support the team. Every body starts somewhere . And I for one am ready for a new beginning for GREENUP:dancingpa

Agree with you on the positive attitude. Administration(Baker) needs to be reminded often during the search of the high expectations.

Edited by pigskinman