Goldsmith at Boyle -- Double standard?

Fletch

Boone Goldsmith has apparently been ruled eligible to play at Boyle County. His parents moved to Boyle from Lawrence County with no job waiting, and wanted his son to play at Boyle County.

Dakota Euton was ruled ineligible to play basketball at Scott County. His dad took a job somewhere and had the job before they moved.

How are they different and why is one eligible and one not?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone is not practicing with the team because his dad and mom have not found a job yet and are considering making another move back home or to somewhere else. Billy has a lot of connections in northeastern and eastern kentucky and is sure to find a job somewhere up there.

Even though there is a difference, Euton being a "state-wide" name, it is a double standard. IMO, the Goldsmith should not be elgible to play. It is obvious that the kid moved here to play football. Why else would a move take place with no job in hand.

Even though there is a difference, Euton being a "state-wide" name, it is a double standard. IMO, the Goldsmith should not be elgible to play. It is obvious that the kid moved here to play football. Why else would a move take place with no job in hand.

I was under the impression, at least from earlier in the summer, that he would be on Coach French's staff at Boyle. I don't know much about the kid - would he be a contributor at Boyle?

What does his parents do, with his dad being a former coach, does he teach and Boyle can't find him a job? If so what does his dad teach? I figureda school like Boyle could get him a job easy.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Boone is not practicing with the team because his dad and mom have not found a job yet and are considering making another move back home or to somewhere else. Billy has a lot of connections in northeastern and eastern kentucky and is sure to find a job somewhere up there.

Rebel reported on the other thread that Boone's mom does have a job in the Boyle County School system and that he will be seeking the chance to play for Boyle. :thumb:

I was under the impression, at least from earlier in the summer, that he would be on Coach French's staff at Boyle. I don't know much about the kid - would he be a contributor at Boyle?

He will be the starting QB if he is allowed to play. He'd be the starting QB at most schools around the state.

I have heard that the kid is good, but did not have a lot of help at his former school.

I also heard that his dad will be on the staff.

He will prob. be the starting Qb, from what people in BC are saying. Like I said before, looking at other KHSAA elgibilty rulings, I don't think the kid should be allowed to play, at least not this year.

Does the rule say anything about job status?

As I recall the rule says a bona fide change of residence, and a qualifer of that that has been applied is has the housing been clo;)sed on, lease signed, etc. before enrolling in the high school.

Or as some on here have eluded to has the father made statements in the media that thay chose a particular school for athletics?

I have heard that the kid is good, but did not have a lot of help at his former school.

I also heard that his dad will be on the staff.

He will prob. be the starting Qb, from what people in BC are saying. Like I said before, looking at other KHSAA elgibilty rulings, I don't think the kid should be allowed to play, at least not this year.

Is it easier to gain eligibility if your parents are teachers?

Edited by gchs_uk9

I don't think double standard is the right way to describe this action by the KHSAA. Just because someone (anyone) else stuck their foot in their mouth about why they were transferring doesn't mean there is any kind of double standard being applied.

One could argue there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to transfer and in this case the family did it the "right way."

As a matter of fact, I think this speaks well of the KHSAA because they are not falling prey to what everyone believes "they know."