Goldsmith at Boyle -- Double standard?

Fletch

I don't think double standard is the right way to describe this action by the KHSAA. Just because someone (anyone) else stuck their foot in their mouth about why they were transferring doesn't mean there is any kind of double standard being applied.

One could argue there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to transfer and in this case the family did it the "right way."

As a matter of fact, I think this speaks well of the KHSAA because they are not falling prey to what everyone believes "they know."

I agree with this...the KHSAA can't stop folks from moving/transferring, but I think they have clearly made a point about doing it the "right way".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have missed something, what is the "Right way" that the Goldsmith's followed that the Eutons did not? I'm not trying to start anything I am just wondering what they did that was different, outside of Euton's dad shooting his mouth off.

I guess I have missed something, what is the "Right way" that the Goldsmith's followed that the Eutons did not? I'm not trying to start anything I am just wondering what they did that was different, outside of Euton's dad shooting his mouth off.

Through the whole Goldsmith saga I have not seen the son being used as bait for the parents job. Mr. Euton seemed to be fishing with a big lure though.

I think the difference in the situations, is the lack of statements regarding athletics, to any media sources.

Just some basic background here.

Billy Goldsmith is one of the finest men and coaches that I have ever met. I had him as a teacher, track coach and football coach. He has coached an undefeated football team and some state finalists in track and field. His coaching credentials are VERY legit and he does NOT need his son as bait to get him a job anywhere! He played college ball at Moorehead State and was a legitimate NFL prospect. His weight room knowledge and work ethic are evident by lifting competition trophies that my brother and many others earned while he coached them. In short he is one of the toughest most intense coaches I was ever around, but ALWAYS fair and good to his players.

Boone Goldsmith is an incredibly gifted athlete, but just didn't get it done at Lawrence County. I don't know what the problem was really. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he'd be the starter at any school in KY, but I'd say most would be willing to put him in the competition for the starting job.

So did Goldsmith get treated differently than any other athlete transferring? I'd say from what I know of his dad that he followed the rules of the khsaa to the letter and was therefore treated exactly as he would expect to be treated when you follow the rules..

Just an opinion from my very limited knowledge.

Edited by jude

Just some basic background here.

Billy Goldsmith is one of the finest men and coaches that I have ever met. I had him as a teacher, track coach and football coach. He has coached an undefeated football team and some state finalists in track and field. His coaching credentials are VERY legit and he does NOT need his son as bait to get him a job anywhere! He played college ball at Moorehead State and was a legitimate NFL prospect. His weight room knowledge and work ethic are evident by lifting competition trophies that my brother and many others earned while he coached them. In short he is one of the toughest most intense coaches I was ever around, but ALWAYS fair and good to his players.

Boone Goldsmith is an incredibly gifted athlete, but just didn't get it done at Lawrence County. I don't know what the problem was really. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he'd be the starter at any school in KY, but I'd say most would be willing to put him in the competition for the starting job.

So did Goldsmith get treated differently than any other athlete transferring? I'd say from what I know of his dad that he followed the rules of the khsaa to the letter and was therefore treated exactly as he would expect to be treated when you follow the rules..

Just an opinion from my very limited knowledge.

:thumb::thumb: Good Post. I know nothing of this situation so I have kept my mouth shut. I think that if this young man or his family were looking for a school that is in line for another state championship, perhaps they would have gone to a school that has won one in the last 4 years. Everyone knows that I am a Rebel fan win or lose so I am not putting down my school with that last sentence. What I am saying is that for 5 years Boyle County was on the top of their game but for the last few years we haven't been anywhere near the top. Hopefully with Coach French we will be back but the rebuilding may take a number of years. So if this young man was looking for a place that is going to make him a state championship soon he probably should have looked other places.

I am glad to have him on the team if he ends up being on it. Good luck to him whether he comes here or goes somewhere else.

Through the whole Goldsmith saga I have not seen the son being used as bait for the parents job. Mr. Euton seemed to be fishing with a big lure though.

Used his son for bait? He moved because of he had to because of his job and then chose the school he felt was the best for his kid. To my knowledge there was no recruitment going on, atleast nothing has been said about it. The only difference is Mr. Euton stated that 1 of the reasons for choosing Scott Co. was basketball, it was not, however, the reason for them to move or to change schools according to the reports.

So Euton's dad got a job because of who his son is? Someone close to the Scott Program helped him get his job? Is that what is being said?

Are the reports on here that Goldsmiths mom is now working for Boyle Co Schools incorrect? They move to a new area (school) without a job on the hopes that they can find a job and no one thinks that seems fishy but everyone is ready to ban Euton? Except for his dad's stupid remarks I really don't see much of a difference, other than the Eutons had a reason to relocate and the Goldsmiths moved on a whim.

I think the difference in the situations, is the lack of statements regarding athletics, to any media sources.

I agree that this happened, but my question to the KSHAA is should a parents statements regardless of how stupid they are be used against a student?

My personal opinion is that if the KHSAA is ruling kids athletically ineligible because their parents were spouting off to the media and other kids eligible because their parents did not, then the KHSAA has more issues than I thought...

Used his son for bait? He moved because of he had to because of his job and then chose the school he felt was the best for his kid. To my knowledge there was no recruitment going on, atleast nothing has been said about it. The only difference is Mr. Euton stated that 1 of the reasons for choosing Scott Co. was basketball, it was not, however, the reason for them to move or to change schools according to the reports.

Mr. Euton was loud and proud about having to move... it was like an agent pushing his player. I have never seen Goldsmith going to the media and talking about his situation a single time. Barring, Boone Goldsmith has not committed to play for one of the top football programs in the country, so the media hasn't been as aware.

The bottom line is my impression was that Mr Euton knew that there are plenty of town across the commonwealth with large businesses supported by wealthy UK fans who also support their local high school. You throw your bait out there, the bites will come.

So Euton's dad got a job because of who his son is? Someone close to the Scott Program helped him get his job? Is that what is being said?

Are the reports on here that Goldsmiths mom is now working for Boyle Co Schools incorrect? They move to a new area (school) without a job on the hopes that they can find a job and no one thinks that seems fishy but everyone is ready to ban Euton? Except for his dad's stupid remarks I really don't see much of a difference, other than the Eutons had a reason to relocate and the Goldsmiths moved on a whim.

Seems like alot of parents happen to find great jobs in Scott County when they have a son who is good on the hardwood..... that's all I am saying...