More hits for UL....

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how people so conveniently forget this.

In a bad season UofL barely lost to one of UK's best teams ever, barely lost to a potential NC contender in West Virginia, got jobbed in a loss to UConn, and beat a strong Cincy and Rutgers team.

I'm not going to deny that things aren't looking as rosy as they had but only a year ago, but the pronounced demise of the UofL program is a tad premature.

All it will take is a very likely win against UK and the ship will right itself. All the adversity is as likely creating a spring board for redemption, as it is dragging the team down.

Let's get some real perspective here. Beating good teams like Rutgers and Cincy isn't in the same league as beating LSU or even playing UT, FL or Ga.

There is no doubt that UL has had a better team and program over the past decade. However, it would also be fair to say that their success would have been minimized had they competed in the SEC East.

Louisville will have difficulty sustaining the success of the last decade, because they will have to do it with recruits of marginal academics. They will hit a few home runs with Louisville kids like Brohm and Bush. I think they made a major in state faux paux when they stiffed Brad Durham. That one mistake will haunt them for years in Kentucky.

An ealier post suggested that even other major programs like UT, Ga and so on, had problems. That's true, the difference is those programs are solid enough to overcome them. UL isn't.

Well, it's certainly disappointing that so many people are so happy about the current state of affairs at UL. :sad:

LABS, ironically, I think you've been very fair in your posts, thank you! :thumb:

I'm not upset that some of these components of attrition have occurred. I don't think we knew the extent that Petrino was more a policeman, than a coach. I'm 100% behind Kragthorpe, and support his efforts to do what he promised when he was hired-bring integrity to the UL football program.

I argued this point with someone I consider a friend: A coach should not expect to keep his players locked up to keep them in line. He should not expect that he has to be at the football complex 16-18 hours a day to make sure his players are not in trouble.

If a losing season or 2, or 3 is what's needed to get kids who are of the character we want, then so be it. I don't think that UK would like to have a team full of "thugs".

I have no problem with taking kids that are potentially on their second chance, per se. But, I do think that if they are trouble-makers, that Coach K should have the absolute right to remove them from the team.

For the players who've left on their own, I can only speculate as to their reasons, so it's really not a point we can discuss, IMO.

For the players like Peanut Whitehead, my heart goes out to them. I know all too well what kids whose careers are abruptly ended go through. It's so tough for them, and I hope they are able to find the way to make lemonade from lemons.

In short, I guess I subscribe to the theory: No pain, no gain.

It hurts now, and it may hurt for a while. But in the end, I think UL will be a much better program, and team, for it.

Let's get some real perspective here. Beating good teams like Rutgers and Cincy isn't in the same league as beating LSU or even playing UT, FL or Ga.

There is no doubt that UL has had a better team and program over the past decade. However, it would also be fair to say that their success would have been minimized had they competed in the SEC East.

Louisville will have difficulty sustaining the success of the last decade, because they will have to do it with recruits of marginal academics. They will hit a few home runs with Louisville kids like Brohm and Bush. I think they made a major in state faux paux when they stiffed Brad Durham. That one mistake will haunt them for years in Kentucky.

An ealier post suggested that even other major programs like UT, Ga and so on, had problems. That's true, the difference is those programs are solid enough to overcome them. UL isn't.

I am SOOOOOOO tired of hearing this excuse from UK fans. UK has been in that league from the get-go, and it's about time to stop using that as an excuse as to why UK can't get over the hump. If you play in that league, you should be able to adapt, get better recruits, and compete for the top spot. UK has yet to do that.

As for Brad Durham, I don't think will have nearly the affect that many think (or hope) it will.

The difference between UL, UGA, and UT is not that UGA and UT are solid programs and UL is not. It's the fact that kids flock to big SEC schools like that because they want to play in the SEC. The Big East doesn't have that kind of luster to most kids, thus UL has to fight more to get better recruits. People saying UL couldn't compete in the SEC is silly. If they were in the SEC, they'd get the same recruits that the other SEC schools get and would do just fine.

Well, it's certainly disappointing that so many people are so happy about the current state of affairs at UL. :sad:

LABS, ironically, I think you've been very fair in your posts, thank you! :thumb:

I'm not upset that some of these components of attrition have occurred. I don't think we knew the extent that Petrino was more a policeman, than a coach. I'm 100% behind Kragthorpe, and support his efforts to do what he promised when he was hired-bring integrity to the UL football program.

I argued this point with someone I consider a friend: A coach should not expect to keep his players locked up to keep them in line. He should not expect that he has to be at the football complex 16-18 hours a day to make sure his players are not in trouble.

If a losing season or 2, or 3 is what's needed to get kids who are of the character we want, then so be it. I don't think that UK would like to have a team full of "thugs".

I have no problem with taking kids that are potentially on their second chance, per se. But, I do think that if they are trouble-makers, that Coach K should have the absolute right to remove them from the team.

For the players who've left on their own, I can only speculate as to their reasons, so it's really not a point we can discuss, IMO.

For the players like Peanut Whitehead, my heart goes out to them. I know all too well what kids whose careers are abruptly ended go through. It's so tough for them, and I hope they are able to find the way to make lemonade from lemons.

In short, I guess I subscribe to the theory: No pain, no gain.

It hurts now, and it may hurt for a while. But in the end, I think UL will be a much better program, and team, for it.

Could not have said it better myself. I agree 100%. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I am SOOOOOOO tired of hearing this excuse from UK fans. UK has been in that league from the get-go, and it's about time to stop using that as an excuse as to why UK can't get over the hump. If you play in that league, you should be able to adapt, get better recruits, and compete for the top spot. UK has yet to do that.

As for Brad Durham, I don't think will have nearly the affect that many think (or hope) it will.

The difference between UL, UGA, and UT is not that UGA and UT are solid programs and UL is not. It's the fact that kids flock to big SEC schools like that because they want to play in the SEC. The Big East doesn't have that kind of luster to most kids, thus UL has to fight more to get better recruits. People saying UL couldn't compete in the SEC is silly. If they were in the SEC, they'd get the same recruits that the other SEC schools get and would do just fine.

I am not saying you are totally wrong, 2, but let us not be naive in thinking that UL's road to success was not an easier one to accomplish than say any other team in a power conference.

UK's program has traditionally stunk. They may have a few good years here and there, but they will NEVER, consistently get out of the basement of the SEC. It is not an excuse, just fact. The committment is simply not there.

UL's program has traditionally stunk, despite not being in a power conference for the majority of their existence. They built up to an elite mid-major program and then were put in an 8 team conference with not a lot of strong teams. I am not saying what they have done is bad, they have taken advantage of every opportunity (getting in with Big East, playing on Wednesday afternoons, etc.) presented to them these past 5 years and converted it in to success.

I am not saying you are totally wrong, 2, but let us not be naive in thinking that UL's road to success was not an easier one to accomplish than say any other team in a power conference.

UK's program has traditionally stunk. They may have a few good years here and there, but they will NEVER, consistently get out of the basement of the SEC. It is not an excuse, just fact. The committment is simply not there.

UL's program has traditionally stunk, despite not being in a power conference for the majority of their existence. They built up to an elite mid-major program and then were put in an 8 team conference with not a lot of strong teams. I am not saying what they have done is bad, they have taken advantage of every opportunity (getting in with Big East, playing on Wednesday afternoons, etc.) presented to them these past 5 years and converted it in to success.

Don't think I'm saying that UL's road to success wasn't made easier because they weren't in a "power conference"...That's not what Im saying at all. I agree with you on that point. I just get tired of the reason that UK doesn't have the best record every year is because they are in the SEC. That excuse is old. Maybe you're right, the commitment may not be there. If that's the case, then changes either need to be made in the head office or on the field. At some point UK has to start using being in the SEC as an advantage, instead of a disadvantage.

"...playing on Wednesday afternoons, etc..."

My first good belly laugh of the football summer. Thank you.

In only one way way was it easier and that was in competition on the field. EVERY other aspect was more difficult. Harder to recruit, harder to get recognition, harder to get air time, harder to hire better coaches, harder to get fans to watch lesser match ups. In all these activities UofL has had remarkable success, in recruiting under rocks, taking nontraditional game times, winning consistently, hiring unproven coaches, and promoting games they brought a once near dead program to win a BCS game and be part of the NC discussion.

To say it was an easier road discounts all the steps taken by UofL to get past an establishment that has no desire to see change in the ranks.

Well, the Cats also weren't a few plays away from playing in the title game, and many on here would argue that they would've beaten OSU (I am sure you wouldn't)....that said, they were right there, and I feel they'll get to that level again, sooner rather than later.

I don't think that U.L. was a few plays away from a title game, I don't even think they were a few years away from a title game. You are correct in that I do not think that U.K. (or U.L.) would have beaten Ohio State.