More hits for UL....

They were an elite program, for two years.:banana:

All jokes aside, I am a huge UofL fan, and the program has came along way in 20 years. I think it's funny when UK fans make fun of UofL, I call it jealousy.

The big thing, is that most UofL fans jumped on the bandwagon and aren't real fans that remember getting trounced by Murray St. at old Cardinal Stadium. I do, and it wasn't fun. I know they aren't an elite program, and I really enjoyed the Orange Bowl and Gator bowl etc.

I also don't think it is fair to say they have fell completely off the map of relevance just yet. One 6-6 year, ain't the end of the world. The most ironic thing too me is that UK barely beat them last year, and it is condsidered one of the best UK teams EVER.:eek:

Great post because it is factual. Wonder if Alabama got as many jealous remarks when they went 6-6 last year. And wonder what comments will be made when Petrino sticks it to Arkansas like he did UL and the Falcons. I've always heard that people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying 9-3 was a very close prospect. UofL isn't coming off a 2-10 season like UK fans seem to think.

It is only "a win over a rival" but in it the program can rid itself of some of the nastier negativity.

Could you feel hypocrisy smack you as you wrote this? If they'd have let you, there would have been a parade in Lexington.

Well you might be right on one thing, we simply aren't as experienced at losing as you guys are. Please show us how its done.:lol:

1. Where did I say that U.L. was coming off a 2-10 season? Thats right, I didn't. :rolleyes:

2. O.K., you just made the statement as if to say that was a "elite" type of statemnt :lol:, Oh no, I apologize.

3. You calling me a hypocrit is imo borderline if not name calling so I won't concern myself with giving you the satisfaction of responding to that one.

4. I beleive that U.K. still holds the lead in the overall series between the two, not sure though. U.K. plays in the SEC as opposed to the Big East, which I have t say has been very good the last couple of years anyway but stil not comparable to the SEC year in and year out. For most years prior to the last couple anyway, the Big East overall, witn the exception of maybe one or two teams has been the Big "L"east.

My favorite college football team is also Ohio State, as for showing how losing s done???........you don't want to go there. :sssh:

Please tell me again what makes U.L. a power on the national scene?

1. Where did I say that U.L. was coming off a 2-10 season? Thats right, I didn't. :rolleyes:

2. O.K., you just made the statement as if to say that was a "elite" type of statemnt :lol:, Oh no, I apologize.

3. You calling me a hypocrit is imo borderline if not name calling so I won't concern myself with giving you the satisfaction of responding to that one.

4. I beleive that U.K. still holds the lead in the overall series between the two, not sure though. U.K. plays in the SEC as opposed to the Big East, which I have t say has been very good the last couple of years anyway but stil not comparable to the SEC year in and year out. For most years prior to the last couple anyway, the Big East overall, witn the exception of maybe one or two teams has been the Big "L"east.

My favorite college football team is also Ohio State, as for showing how losing s done???........you don't want to go there. :sssh:

Please tell me again what makes U.L. a power on the national scene?

A couple of teams ??

I would argue Rutgers, WVU, USF and UofL have all been pretty successful the past few years.

Heck, look up the new BEAST record in BCS games.

UK does lead the all time series, dating back to the 1920's. UofL has dominated the series, since it was renewed during the modern era of football in 1994.

9 wins to 5.

I personally don't think either school ever has or will be a elite powerhouse. I still argue that this is a basketball state. But, to act like UofL has not had a taste of success is a little sad.

I am SOOOOOOO tired of hearing this excuse from UK fans. UK has been in that league from the get-go, and it's about time to stop using that as an excuse as to why UK can't get over the hump.

Maybe bc it is SOOOOOO true. I know that your quote wasn't meant for me but I can't help but wonder what U.K.'s record may have been if they were playing in some of the conferences that UL. has played in before they (U.L.)joined the Big East, imo a lot better than U.L.'s record was during those years.

I do agree about making excuses though and U.K. fans (some of them) are pretty good at doing that, but I can't help but wonder something else...just how many excuses has U.L. made over the years?

U.L. fans.....Pot, meet Kettle. :lol: imo you as a whole are no different than U.K. fans or any other for that matter. All schools have those fans and U.L. is certainly no exception.

A couple of teams ??

I would argue Rutgers, WVU, USF and UofL have all been pretty successful the past few years.Heck, look up the new BEAST record in BCS games.

UK does lead the all time series

I personally don't think either school ever has or will be a elite powerhouse. I still argue that this is a basketball state. But, to act like UofL has not had a taste of success is a little sad.

I did not say that those teams weren't good the last couple of (meaning few) years, I meant as a whole over all the years, not just ones that one wants to pick and choose.

About the all time U.K./U.L. series, that is correct, when someone wants to points out a series, you go back through all of it. Not just the years that you want to.

I agree on the last statement in that neither will ever be considered an elite national power in football and this is a basketball state.

I will say though about your last sentence on that I will have to go back to the reliable Bill Clinton theory on that one.....it depends on what you defintion of "is" .."is". :lol::thumb:

Oh well, this has been fun so I will move on from this U.L. thread now (and I am sure that will make some as happy as it does me:p).

Good luck to U.L. this season with the exception of the U.K. game (in which I hope that you get badly beaten and embarrassed :D) :thumb:

U.L. fans.....Pot, meet Kettle. :lol: imo you as a whole are no different than U.K. fans or any other for that matter. All schools have those fans and U.L. is certainly no exception.

What excuse have UL fans made as consistently and for so long as UK fans have about being in the SEC?

Well, it's certainly disappointing that so many people are so happy about the current state of affairs at UL. :sad:

LABS, ironically, I think you've been very fair in your posts, thank you! :thumb:

I'm not upset that some of these components of attrition have occurred. I don't think we knew the extent that Petrino was more a policeman, than a coach. I'm 100% behind Kragthorpe, and support his efforts to do what he promised when he was hired-bring integrity to the UL football program.

I argued this point with someone I consider a friend: A coach should not expect to keep his players locked up to keep them in line. He should not expect that he has to be at the football complex 16-18 hours a day to make sure his players are not in trouble.

If a losing season or 2, or 3 is what's needed to get kids who are of the character we want, then so be it. I don't think that UK would like to have a team full of "thugs".

I have no problem with taking kids that are potentially on their second chance, per se. But, I do think that if they are trouble-makers, that Coach K should have the absolute right to remove them from the team.

For the players who've left on their own, I can only speculate as to their reasons, so it's really not a point we can discuss, IMO.

For the players like Peanut Whitehead, my heart goes out to them. I know all too well what kids whose careers are abruptly ended go through. It's so tough for them, and I hope they are able to find the way to make lemonade from lemons.

In short, I guess I subscribe to the theory: No pain, no gain.

It hurts now, and it may hurt for a while. But in the end, I think UL will be a much better program, and team, for it.

:thumb: Great points Rockmom. The last comment reminds me of the old saying, "What don't kill you, will make you stronger".

I don't think that U.L. was a few plays away from a title game, I don't even think they were a few years away from a title game. You are correct in that I do not think that U.K. (or U.L.) would have beaten Ohio State.

Well regardless of what you say "you think", if U of L finishes off Rutgers that season they would've been in the title game. That still kind of stinks a bit.

I love when people pick at UL for playing during the week...Ignorance is bliss. :lol:

The weeknight TV games were great for the UL program...........even a UK fan(as I am) could see that.

The UK fans better not relish in UL's troubles too much...................considering we have experienced them before and may again.

As was the pronounced leap to elite wouldn't you say?

Elite is just that - Elite. That means stay in the top 5, and do it for 10 years. That's elite. Not one Orange bowl victory and a few other good seasons before that.

Plus I get sick of hearing how UK "fluked" out a last second win against UofL. Did you forget that UK led most of that game (40 minutes) and UofL only took a small lead just 77 seconds before UK scored. Plus, if they didn't hit Johnson for the TD, Lyons was wide open in the middle of the field. A pass there would have gotten them down to the 15-20, and set up a FG or an even later TD.

How would they have felt if UofL scored on that "lucky" (according to UofL fan?) Hail Mary pass Brohm threw at the end of the game. It was literally last second. And it almost worked! Would that have been a fluke?

Elite is just that - Elite. That means stay in the top 5, and do it for 10 years. That's elite. Not one Orange bowl victory and a few other good seasons before that.

Plus I get sick of hearing how UK "fluked" out a last second win against UofL. Did you forget that UK led most of that game (40 minutes) and UofL only took a small lead just 77 seconds before UK scored. Plus, if they didn't hit Johnson for the TD, Lyons was wide open in the middle of the field. A pass there would have gotten them down to the 15-20, and set up a FG or an even later TD.

How would they have felt if UofL scored on that "lucky" (according to UofL fan?) Hail Mary pass Brohm threw at the end of the game. It was literally last second. And it almost worked! Would that have been a fluke?

I've come to learn that the definition of elite to UK fans seems to be (UofL+1=elite). It doesn't matter that they were a field goal away from a NC game, UK fans will never accept UofL to be great program. Even if they were to win a championship the next arguement would be that they haven't had multiple and it will go on and on and on.

As far as the game, it illustrates that the difference between UofL and UK last season wasn't that big. And for UK fans to make comments that UofL has fallen from the face of college football over a single 6-6 season is absurd.