U.S. 'preparing the battlefield' in Iran

Obviously you don't want to attack an innocent country, but again, if we didn't respond and just kept waiting, what kind of a message would we be sending to the American people?

Kind of a sidebar question...If Iran were to attack Israel, do you feel we should intervene?

Imagine "the enemy" when we bomb an innocent country? Wouldn't that be playing into their hands? Like I said, of course attack the culprit...but not someone that we aren't sure is guilty.

On the Israel question, I lean towards no. I think that Israel has the capabilities of defending themselves.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you KNOW how many were spared? I think, probably, only God knows that.

Don't claim to KNOW a whole lot about anything. At the rate our soldiers were dying I do BELIEVE thousands of American lives were spared though. And no, I don't know what the rate was. And yes, God knows.

Specifically spared? No one could ever know, however given the information we have regarding the Japanese defenses on islands that were not Japan it is fair to say that this would have probably been among the bloodiest battles in terms of both military and civilian lives lost during the entire war.

Look at the places that the Japanese had time to fortify:

American losses at Okinawa: 12,513 dead or missing, 38,916 wounded

Japenese losses at Okinawa: 65,548 dead or missing, 1,900 dead kamikaze, 6,000 dead airmen and seamen, 17,000 wounded

American losses at Iwo Jima: 6,821 dead, 19,189 wounded

Japanese losses at Iwo Jima: 20,703 dead

American losses at Tarawa: 990 killed, 2,296 wounded

Japanese losses at Tarawa: 4,713 killed

American losses at Saipan: 2,949 killed, 10,364 wounded

Japanese losses at Saipan: 24,000 killed

American losses during Volcano and Ryūkyū Islands campaign: 19,840 dead or missing, 58,105 wounded

Japanese losses during the Volcano and Ryūkyū Islands campaign: 90,400 dead or missing, 17,000 wounded

Given the experience with the Japanese prior to the planned Operation Downfall (invasion of Japan itself), the Joint Chiefs issued an estimated toll at 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities. This is predicated that invasions of Kyūshū and Honshū took at least 90 days(which given the fact that the Japanese peope were fanatically loyal to the Emperor these estimates were highly likely).

These were just that, estimates. Even so casualties in invasions such as this are likely to be higher than they were in the Normandy landings because as I said before the Allied soldiers would have dealt with hostile soldiers fighting in their own country AND with a hostile local populace.

Total deaths from Nagasaki by the end of 1945 were around 80,000 those from Hiroshima range from 90,000 to 140,000. Even taking into account the highest figures that I have here we have 220,000 deaths. Now taking into account the numbers that I have above regarding U.S. deaths are still above the number for the two cities in question and this isn't even taking into account the Japanese casualties and deaths from such an invasion.

There is no question in my mind that the use of those two bombs saved more lives than they took.

I'm still waiting to find out why cover ops couldn't have been used in Iraq instead of war.

Our admin wanted Saddam dead which the covert ops could have done but we are also after their oil. Most people don't realize Iraq is an oil gold mine and American oil companies are close to going over there and drilling within a year, now that we have the ability to do so.

Iran they are just wanting to take out the nuke plants I doubt they are going to try and over take the entire govt.

Our admin wanted Saddam dead which the covert ops could have done but we are also after their oil. Most people don't realize Iraq is an oil gold mine and American oil companies are close to going over there and drilling within a year, now that we have the ability to do so.

Iran they are just wanting to take out the nuke plants I doubt they are going to try and over take the entire govt.

We are not allowed to assassinate leaders of other countries...................we declare war.....everyones is free game...............................

The US military is stretched thin at this point in time, so a conflict with Iran would more than likely result in the resumption of the draft...............and I don't believe that the country is ready for that.

I belive the term Arab/Muslim State has little or no meaning. The Middle East has more of a tribal mentality than a nation state mentality.

Of course. Those Middle Eastern "nations" are simply areas of land that Britain, the U.S., etc. drews lines around after the First World War. Those people are "Iraqis" or "Jordanians" or what have you in name only.

I don't actually see why it's our business whether another country has nukes or not. Why is it okay for us, but no one else? Why must we always be the world's police, and therefore the worlds target. In all of history, we are the only country who has used nukes against another power. I don't see Iran as being the second, and if they feel they need nukes, that should be their decision, not ours. Honestly, had we been willing to use it more, we may not be where we are at today.

One of the worst things that happened in my lifetime was the downfall of the USSR, although many see that as a good thing. Many of the current terroristic nations came to power due to the absence of the USSR, and gained control of their un-needed nukes in the process. The cold war was the safest time in America, not a bomb dropped in anger.

Obviously you don't want to attack an innocent country, but again, if we didn't respond and just kept waiting, what kind of a message would we be sending to the American people?

Kind of a sidebar question...If Iran were to attack Israel, do you feel we should intervene?

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Bush and Cheney will intervene. Book it Danno!

The US military said, based on results of taking other Japanese islands, it would have taken 1 million to 1.5 million to secure the mainland. Since God wasn't involved in the other battles, I think those are legitimate estimates. In fact, we even likely saved Japanese lives as well, as the battle to defend would have cost more than those lost in Hiroshima or Nagisaki.

War is not a pretty thing, but you have to play to win.

Sorry peprock, I posted before getting to your post, and I may have been redundant.

As someone stated earlier, it would be 2 Arab countries who would have attacked us.

Add to the fact that if Israel was attacked Syria would jump in as well as Egypt.

If that happened, as well as the US being attacked I would want Egypt, Syria, Iran, and probably Pakistan nuked. I'm talking all weapons facilities and military sites as well as 2 large cities.

For those who feel we cannot reach a deep bunker in Iran, you really have no idea what our Air Force and Special Ops can do.

It's nuts what they can do, 1. They have misiles that can actually dig I want to say like 50 to 100 feet deep into concrete before detonating, read up on them, pretty insane. 2. We can make the sites completely unaccessable, by damaging all of the believed entrance areas....

It's nuts what they can do, 1. They have misiles that can actually dig I want to say like 50 to 100 feet deep into concrete before detonating, read up on them, pretty insane. 2. We can make the sites completely unaccessable, by damaging all of the believed entrance areas....

I have a cousin who is Special Ops or something and the little bit of stuff he can tell me is, well some it is rather disturbing..................

The capability of some groups in our military is something that 90% of the people in the world will never believe.

Imagine "the enemy" when we bomb an innocent country? Wouldn't that be playing into their hands? Like I said, of course attack the culprit...but not someone that we aren't sure is guilty.

On the Israel question, I lean towards no. I think that Israel has the capabilities of defending themselves.

To a certain extent they do. To the level of a nuclear attack or a all out war at this day in time.....they would have 0 chance.