U.S. 'preparing the battlefield' in Iran

Are we really talking about invading Iran here? Or doing what many detractors of the Iraq invasion advocated doing, i.e. using covert ops to stimulate regime change?

Good point LN.

I was definitely more in favor of covert ops in Iraq than invading it. And the heck with Executive Order 12333.

I don't think covert military ops works in Iran. I think in the case of Iran, we need to sit back, watch and prepare to give them a butt kicking that hasn't been seen since Alexander thrashed them 2300 years ago.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point LN.

I was definitely more in favor of covert ops in Iraq than invading it. And the heck with Executive Order 12333.

I don't think covert military ops works in Iran. I think in the case of Iran, we need to sit back, watch and prepare to give them a butt kicking that hasn't been seen since Alexander thrashed them 2300 years ago.

Butt kickings for Middle Eastern countries is not all that difficult to administer. The problems arrise afterward. Remove the governments and leave without installing a new one most likely results in an even worse, more violent, leadership rushing in to fill the void.

Stay and attempt nation building dilutes and depletes our strength and resources. It really is sort of a catch 22, yet we must be prepared to react. We can't give them free rein in the region. I agree that regime change one man at a time would get the message across.

Butt kickings for Middle Eastern countries is not all that difficult to administer. The problems arrise afterward. Remove the governments and leave without installing a new one most likely results in an even worse, more violent, leadership rushing in to fill the void.

Stay and attempt nation building dilutes and depletes our strength and resources. It really is sort of a catch 22, yet we must be prepared to react. We can't give them free rein in the region. I agree that regime change one man at a time would get the message across.

That's why I vote for OPAC. Oil Producing American Colonies. :D

Are we really talking about invading Iran here? Or doing what many detractors of the Iraq invasion advocated doing, i.e. using covert ops to stimulate regime change?

I don't know. But our MO in recent years seems to be invasion.

I don't know. But our MO in recent years seems to be invasion.

I have to say that I really don't know the difference between "covert operations" and "invasion". In the interview with Hersh that I watched, he said that there would have to be substantial ground forces deployed, presumably to get at underground defenses.

Good point LN.

I'm guessing you didn't name your son Darius or Xerxes:D

I have a VERY CLOSE family member in "the know" as related to covert operations with Iran. He says that covert operations have been going on in Iran for over 5 yrs. Most of the operations were/are being conducted by a group right here in KY (5th SF Group out of Ft. Campbell). What he says is really going to happen is an Afganistan style of war. SF guys on the ground with heavy air power.

As far as the underground facilities than Iran is claimed to have...they are prepared for that.

He said that our Spec Ops Command wanted to handle Iraq in the same way but were pushed over by conventional war horses inside the pentagon who felt they were being left behind becuase of the success' in afganistan.

TIFWIW

We're sorry, but GusMcRae will be unable to reply to any of your questions as he had to be neutralized.

sniper.gif

:lol: Seriously. I didn't know we had sources in P&R, I thought the Mark It Down's were reserved for the rest of the site. Thanks Gus, and don't be walking around the streets late at night. :thumb: