One of the most important questions of society?

ladiesbballcoach

What is the correct way to eat a hot dog?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is the correct way to eat a hot dog?

• Just bun and composite of tubular meat.
    • As a coney.
    • Ketchup only!!! (NOT CATSUP)
    • Mustard only
    • The sweet and tangy mixture of ketchup and mustard.
    • SOURkraut (I spelled it as it smells.)
    • Some other concoction. Please post.

I love a plain hot dog grilled "well done". I also like the same with sauerkraut at times as well as with "homemade hot dog sauce" (meat sauce). That is not a coney and is not that stuff that skyline calls chili :D.

I am always amused at the fact that a lot of people don't know what homemade "hot dog sauce" is. People in our area have it down to an art, lol.

When it gets right down to it though,

My #1 fav is just grilled "well done" plain, that's it.

#2 would be with the sauerkraut(mustard optional)

#3 is with the sauce and onions.

Heck! I just like hot dogs..........:D

Now, Brats cooked in beer and then grilled to finish are a whole other animal. um, umm good. :ylsuper:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please define "coney".

I like hot dogs with mustard and onions. If available, I also want chili. Occasionally I'll throw on some ketchup (Heinz only) or maybe slaw.

But any good hot dog must start with mustard and onions.

Hot Dogs fresh off the grill, cooked until they are starting to burst, are one of my favorite summer time foods.

As far toppings go, you really can't go wrong in my opinion. If it's a bratwurst, I'll take sourkraut on it. If it's a hot dog, you can't go wrong with sauce mustard and onion.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A coney is typically a small hot dog, smothered in meat chili, onions, and mustard. A cheese coney is the same only with Cincinnati-style chili, mustard, onions, and LOADS of shredded cheese.

A coney: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog

A cheese coney: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_Coney

is not that stuff that skyline calls chili

It's just a different kind of chili. The meat is much finely ground and it's made to be sweeter that your run-of-the-mill chili. It's chili specifically made to used as a topping as opposed to be eaten in a bowl.

I think The Red Rambler summed it up in his definition. Technically speaking, to get a genuine coney around here you're talking about a small, steamed bun containing a Vienna sausage. It's spread with just a touch of mustard and then covered with (our) chili -- straight out of a white, ceramic crock. You top it off with loads of finely grated cheddar cheese. You can also add diced onions if you want them.

You can make them at home (I do, using canned Dixie Chili), but they're not quite the same.