Louisville or Cincinnati Zoo.

super

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Cincy is the way to go but make sure you get good directions:) What time is a good time to get there to beat the crowd/heat?

Directions was the next thing I was going to ask about,I know about the net that I can the directions from them,but since most of you been there maybe you can direct me better then the net, I be coming from 75 south.

Just don't go one block over. Burnett is a war zone down on that end.

I've never had any safety issues in or around the Cincinnati Zoo. I've been there many times. I've parked on most of the streets surrounding the zoo both day and night and never felt unsafe. The last few years I have been getting a parking pass to park in the zoo lot only because it's easier with the kids stuff.

Sorry to hear you've had issues, I've just never seen it.

Directions was the next thing I was going to ask about,I know about the net that I can the directions from them,but since most of you been there maybe you can direct me better then the net, I be coming from 75 south.

There are a few different ways to go, but I've always gone the 71 route.

- once you cross the bridge on 75/71, take 71 north

- get off at Reading Road, which will be on the left hand side of the expressway

- you'll come to a fork in the road at I believe the 3rd light. get into the left turning lane and veer onto Burnett.

- after you pass University and Children's Hospitals, turn left onto Erkenbrecher

- from here, you can turn right on Dury Ave, and the main zoo entrance will be on your left or you can go straight, turn right on Vine, and then left into another zoo lot. You'll cross back over Vine on foot, and enter in the side entrance.

I've never had any safety issues in or around the Cincinnati Zoo. I've been there many times. I've parked on most of the streets surrounding the zoo both day and night and never felt unsafe. The last few years I have been getting a parking pass to park in the zoo lot only because it's easier with the kids stuff.

Sorry to hear you've had issues, I've just never seen it.

I have never had an issue. I usually park in the lot. My posts are to make visitors aware of potential danger in that area. You can find yourself in a bad place very easily over there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks.:thumb:

Almost forgot about this. We ended up going Sunday. We got up there around 12:30 and managed to park in one of the zoo's lots. It's was fairly crowded, but not that bad. Then the rain came down and the place cleared out. However, we stuck it out. All the animals were out and active even though the weather was crappy. If you have the choice, I'd try to wait until late June or later. The giraffe exhibit opens in June (I think that's what the sign said), and it looks pretty cool.

So did you have a good time -- despite the rain?

Yep. We took the umbrella in knowing there was a chance. Our stroller has a clear plastic cover that came with it to keep the rain out, so the little one stayed dried. Plus, it was just a constant drizzle, not a downpour. We didn't have to wait in any lines, and the weather didn't seem to bother the animals at all. If you ask my daughter what she saw at the zoo, and the first thing she would say is "the elephant pooped." :lol: Thank god she didn't see the chimp eating his. :creepy:

Almost forgot about this. We ended up going Sunday. We got up there around 12:30 and managed to park in one of the zoo's lots. It's was fairly crowded, but not that bad. Then the rain came down and the place cleared out. However, we stuck it out. All the animals were out and active even though the weather was crappy. If you have the choice, I'd try to wait until late June or later. The giraffe exhibit opens in June (I think that's what the sign said), and it looks pretty cool.

We'll going the 10th or 11th of June.

And thanks again everyone for all the information.

Just went to Louisville Zoo two weeks ago. Nothing special. Elephant baby was cool Gorilla house was neat but everything else was just OK. I can only compare to the other two zoos that I have been to, Indy and Memphis. Memphis rocks, best big cat area by far and has everything you would expect.

There are a few different ways to go, but I've always gone the 71 route.

- once you cross the bridge on 75/71, take 71 north

- get off at Reading Road, which will be on the left hand side of the expressway

- you'll come to a fork in the road at I believe the 3rd light. get into the left turning lane and veer onto Burnett.

- after you pass University and Children's Hospitals, turn left onto Erkenbrecher

- from here, you can turn right on Dury Ave, and the main zoo entrance will be on your left or you can go straight, turn right on Vine, and then left into another zoo lot. You'll cross back over Vine on foot, and enter in the side entrance.

The Reading Road exit off of I-71 North is exit 2 for anyone who is not familiar with the zoo area, and is traveling from the south.

• 5 weeks later...

Just found out that me & a few of my family members will be heading up to the Louisville Zoo! After reading all these posts, I've tried to get them to take a trip to the Cinci one instead :D. My 4 year old nephew will be going so it should be a fun trip. We'll be heading up on the 31st. It'll be about a 3 hour ride. Any suggestions as to which are the top animal attractions???