Cruel recruiting joke that crosses the line of being criminal

The Scribe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing. How could you get that far in the recruiting process and never visit the campus, never meet someone face to face, or never email the head coach or call his number at the campus to realize he was not a recruit? Very odd.

It does not pass the smell test, IMO. What about the supposed visit last weekend to Oklahoma State? Did he or didn't he? Did they ever see any coach in person? Come on, red flags are waving all over the place.

Yea something is very odd here, how do you have all these "offers" and never once call the coach or go on a visit to Cal or Oregon? Something is rotten in Demark

I'm with all of you.

He had offers but never went on a visit? No coach ever showed up at his house?

Did his high school coach not think this was unusual?

I'll be curious to see how this plays out and what the truth is. I don't think we're getting the truth.

I read some other stories about this. THis is not the head coach's first go-round with recruiting. He has been on college staffs and has placed other kids at D1 schools.

What exactly would someone be charged with? Why is there a criminal invesstigation?

I read some other stories about this. THis is not the head coach's first go-round with recruiting. He has been on college staffs and has placed other kids at D1 schools.

What exactly would someone be charged with? Why is there a criminal invesstigation?

Well if e-mails were exchanged I would think a person could be charged with internet fraud, which generally involves deliberately deceiving the victim with the promise of goods, services, or other benefits that are nonexistent

The cruel part isn't the joke, it's when the NCAA makes him sit out a year if he does try to play somewhere else...:rolleyes:

Seriously, one of the cruelest things ever...

Why would he have to sit out if he never signed with anyone?

Another question, how could he decide to make a verbal without making an official visit to Cal?

What about impersonating a government official, I believe Cal is a public school.

Actually kind of wondering this myself. I don't think false personation of government official applies (18 USC 912), as a Cal employee would not qualify as a government official There may perhaps be some local impersonation charge. As for fraud, you'd need to cite a tangible dollar loss. I suppose if this actually cost the young man a chance at a real scholarship then that would be a quantifiable loss to him. I honestly can't see how this would involve a federal investigation.

It says that they've never had a division I recruit from that school. The head coach is probably new to the process, as well. This is a terrible joke. I saw a post somewhere on the Internet that said he was more like a Division III talent. If that is true, its a very cruel joke. He even made his announcement in front of the entire school.

It says that they've never had a division I recruit from that school. The head coach is probably new to the process, as well.

In another article, it said the head coach has coached all across the country and has had "many" D1 recruits.