Where does Lincoln turn...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know over the past ten seasons, Buchanan has only had two losing seasons. He has had at least 6 wins per season every other year. I would take that.

LCPATS,

6 wins?? Just depends on the scheudule. Even though 6 classes has watered it down a little, I still consider playoff success the ultimate measuring stick. 6 wins could be a great season or not just depending on who was beat or when your season ended.

I know it's hard to believe with all the ups and downs over the past decade (just looking at Mr. Networks post of records), but Lincoln has been to the region finals twice in the past 8 years. 1999 and 2007 (winning this year), there are many programs out there who would like to have had that overall success.

That is not much improvement considering the past four years of 23-25. Looks like some of those marquee wins were from teams like Paris, Lewis, and Bourbon. Those teams might have a combined winning percentage last year of 25%. Looks like they just got by Paris in the first game and I don't care how bad you are, you should never win just one game like in 2004. You don't rebuild, you reload.

2A, 3A and 4A 'good wins'!

Tates Creek, Lafayette, Breathitt County, Russell, Ashland, Rockcastle. The year Mason beat Tates Creek they were Region champs that year and the season before... We all know Rockcastle, Russell and Lafayette are no slouch 1A schools. Well, most of us know the caliber of teams they are.:rolleyes:

And no Booger House, Mason hasn't made it to the carpet yet. What year were you there?

If you would take that then you are satisfied with mediocrity. I don't think anyone at Lincoln would be satisfied with that.

Buchanan is 90-49 since 1996 and that includes the season of 1-9. (BTW, Chuck Smith was 2-8 one year at Boyle and 7-5 the season prior to the 47 game win streak)

Mason County Football prior to 1996: 4 winning seasons 1979-1995; 10 wins total 1992 –1995;

Championships: Region (01, 03); District (03); Co-District (99 & 00); Conference (00 & 02)· State Quarterfinalist (2001, 2002 & 2003); State Semifinalist (2001, 2003)

It doesn't look like mediocrity to me, it looks like a solid program. Lincoln would be very fortunate to land a coach like Buchanan. (And so would Boyle if it worked out that way.)

Burger, you should apply for the job. Or are you just on here to run down Buchanan?

I am not here to run down anyone, I am just stating the facts. We are talking facts, seems like to me. I don't know him personally, so I can not talk about him. I do know there are some coaches out there that deserve that job a lot more comparing their records and ability to win big games at big times in the season(playoffs).

Quick change in subject, It is hard to believe who is coaching at Tates Creek. How do you have so many great regular seasons at your prior school, and then get beat in the first round of the playoffs(multiple times). Just an observation.

Buchanan is 90-49 since 1996 and that includes the season of 1-9. (BTW, Chuck Smith was 2-8 one year at Boyle and 7-5 the season prior to the 47 game win streak)

Mason County Football prior to 1996: 4 winning seasons 1979-1995; 10 wins total 1992 –1995;

Championships: Region (01, 03); District (03); Co-District (99 & 00); Conference (00 & 02)· State Quarterfinalist (2001, 2002 & 2003); State Semifinalist (2001, 2003)

It doesn't look like mediocrity to me, it looks like a solid program. Lincoln would be very fortunate to land a coach like Buchanan. (And so would Boyle if it worked out that way.)

If Boyle wanted him, he would be there. It seems like his name comes up alot, but never gets the job. There has to be something said about that. It is not like he has stayed in Mason because of the terrific location or amenities

Great post of statistics! I have questioned Buchanan in the past for uderachieving but this shows he is doing a pretty good job. Do you have his playoff record?

I am not here to run down anyone, I am just stating the facts. We are talking facts, seems like to me. I don't know him personally, so I can not talk about him. I do know there are some coaches out there that deserve that job a lot more comparing their records and ability to win big games at big times in the season(playoffs).

Quick change in subject, It is hard to believe who is coaching at Tates Creek. How do you have so many great regular seasons at your prior school, and then get beat in the first round of the playoffs(multiple times). Just an observation.

Well lets see some comparisons then.

2A, 3A and 4A 'good wins'!

Tates Creek, Lafayette, Breathitt County, Russell, Ashland, Rockcastle. The year Mason beat Tates Creek they were Region champs that year and the season before... We all know Rockcastle, Russell and Lafayette are no slouch 1A schools. Well, most of us know the caliber of teams they are.:rolleyes:

And no Booger House, Mason hasn't made it to the carpet yet. What year were you there?

I have been there, leave it at that. I don't think I would be talking about anybodys name, MCHAMMER "Time".VH-1 want to be.

Let's not get personal. I just would like to see the comparisons of other coaches. Lincoln Co. is not a premier job in my opinion and not a premier program. French brought them back to respectability, and they need someone to take them over the top and i feel Buchanon is the best man for that.

Let's not get personal. I just would like to see the comparisons of other coaches. Lincoln Co. is not a premier job in my opinion and not a premier program. French brought them back to respectability, and they need someone to take them over the top and i feel Buchanon is the best man for that.

You could say that about alot of programs during their down years. Lincoln was a premier job in the early 90's, but fell on some tuff times with players and coaches. French did bring it back to respectability, but one reason for that is he had some great talent that provided some much needed excitement in the program. The excitement is continuing, so it would be a great job for any coach in the state. I think you can see that by the interest it is receiving from many top coaches (Settles, Buchannon, and others).

If Boyle wanted him, he would be there. It seems like his name comes up alot, but never gets the job. There has to be something said about that. It is not like he has stayed in Mason because of the terrific location or amenities

Some at Boyle did want him and I will leave it at that. :thumb:

That doesn't mean that they aren't happy with the hire of Larry French.

Can you name any of these that are on a realistic wish list? I'd love to see their records for comparisons sake.

Records of wins, nor playoff wins measures a coach. People who do that cheapen the game. High School coaches should be measured on several things. 1) Leadership, 2) what situation did they inherit, 3) community involvement, 3) what do they teach players (morally), 4) involvement in other activities in school, 5) do they prepare kids to reach new levels, and 6) if they left today, where would the program be.

Let me expand on each topic.

1. Leadership - each program has to have a vision and plan. If not, then luck is the only thing that will run the program. Every program needs a short and long term plan. If not eventually bad luck will take over.

2. What do you inherit? Mason County is a great example of this. David Buchanan inherited a team that hadn't won very much and was considered purely a basketball school. He has changed that perception greatly.

3. Community involvemnet. Does a coach support the community and get invovled? If not, it hurts the program and the school. Coaches are looked upon as leaders of the school. They must be involved in community and get players involved. This helps build future community leaders.

4. The coach has to realize that he/she must support other programs in the school. This enhances a students experience in the school. I am not talking about just athletes. I mean each student.

Also if each program is successful, then one sport does not hold the financial burden of the other sports programs. Also, if all sports teams are successful, then each sport's particapants get a better chance of having more resources for their sport.

5. A coach may not have much athletic talent. But if he/she works the athletes and makes them more skilled, that is a good coach. They may not have very much success, but they will perform better.

6. Finally, is the program better than when the coach was hired? that is a big question for me. If yes, then they have done a good job.

I think Coach Buchanan has answered all of traits at Mason County.