Who is the best basketball official in your region?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea....he is somewhat on the side of confidence, but let me tell you....he is a better officials than some of the names I have seen on this post. When I used to call he was a young up and comer. Now he works some of the bigger games in the COUNTRY...not just this state. You do not get to that level without knowing what you are doing.

There are some very fine officials on this post. There are also ones that just worry about what LOOKS like the correct call, not what IS the correct call. The reason some officials get that "I'm bigger than the game" reputation is that those of us who called (call) what is there, not what "looks funny".

Someday when we can take the coaches votes out of who goes to District, Region and such, the climate may change so that the people that know who the good officials are can let them get where they belong.

And I think there were 20 + there that game.....

:fire:

Great Post!

Are you speaking of the same Cary Lyle who officiates football in the 16th Region? Works for the state at Greenbo Lake? If so, I wonder why he calls out of another area in basketball. If we're speaking of the same Cary Lyle then your compliments suit him well. He's an excellant football official who officiated the State Finals last year and while I haven't seen him call basketball, I can only assume that he's at the top level of that as well. Not only is he an excellant official but he's also a great association member who cares deeply for the future of officiating in this state. He's a tremendous asset and mentor to our football association. I have a ton of respect for the man.

Yes it is the same Cary Lyle. I also was wondering why he was doing the 10 th region instead of the 16th.

Boucher is correct with his statement that "Ashurst always wants to be the star." That's what I meant by saying his "arrogance" prevents him from being a good official. Getting tourneys/college has nothing to do with how good you are...It's all in who you know. Ashurst must have connections, because he is a pitiful official.

The 13th region IMO has fallen off drastically in the last several years. The region has not had a great one since the days of Jack Cupp. He was one of the all time best. Like a good player he elevated whomever he was calling with that night. We need more like Cupp.

Just saw Charlie Chappie and Tom Freppon do the 9th Region All "A" Girls game with St. Henry/Ludlow.

They missed a lot of shoving. I guess just letting them play.

Saw the same game and thought they did a good job. Almost everyone wants to criticize the 9th region officials for "calling it too tight". Now it seems they let them play too much. Can't have it both ways. Truth be known, most people want it called tight when they have the ball, but loose when they are on defense, and everyone would agree with this if they were honest.

Saw the same game and thought they did a good job. Almost everyone wants to criticize the 9th region officials for "calling it too tight". Now it seems they let them play too much. Can't have it both ways. Truth be known, most people want it called tight when they have the ball, but loose when they are on defense, and everyone would agree with this if they were honest.

:ylsuper: Good post!

The only one besides Bobby Hall I would even think about putting on that list is Kenny Clark

I totally agree with you Springsteen, but I would have to say Cory Clark still has a lot to learn when it comes to officiating a game.

Well said.:thumb:

And if they're so great, why have they not been rated higher and been to the State tourney. Ask a coach before you start rating officials from the stands.

The rating system in Kentucky is ridiculous. You can't go by who is the best officials by who goes to the state tourney. If you have connections you get to go and if you don't deal in the politics you don't. Coaches have 80% of the vote and they have never officiated before in their lives. They don't know if officials are in the right position or know the rules, they just know if they win or lose and who was calling when they lost and put those officials at the bottom for the most part. There are some coaches that do an honest job at this rating system, but to give a coach 80% is just crazy, why not give them the 20% and give someone who goes out and watches and evaluates these officials every night the 80% of the ratings. Seems like that would be the most logical thing to do, no wait the most logical way would be to not give the coaches any say at all who is the best official. That would take care of a lot of the "favors" done in all these regions for votes. We have assigning secrateries and that is who should be rating the officials, that is there job and that is what they are paid for. Coaches are paid to coach and yell at officials, not rate them. That is why the best don't end up at the state tourney, most of the time.

The rating system in Kentucky is ridiculous. You can't go by who is the best officials by who goes to the state tourney. If you have connections you get to go and if you don't deal in the politics you don't. Coaches have 80% of the vote and they have never officiated before in their lives. They don't know if officials are in the right position or know the rules, they just know if they win or lose and who was calling when they lost and put those officials at the bottom for the most part. There are some coaches that do an honest job at this rating system, but to give a coach 80% is just crazy, why not give them the 20% and give someone who goes out and watches and evaluates these officials every night the 80% of the ratings. Seems like that would be the most logical thing to do, no wait the most logical way would be to not give the coaches any say at all who is the best official. That would take care of a lot of the "favors" done in all these regions for votes. We have assigning secrateries and that is who should be rating the officials, that is there job and that is what they are paid for. Coaches are paid to coach and yell at officials, not rate them. That is why the best don't end up at the state tourney, most of the time.

I am standing and applauding this post!!!!!!!!! I agree almost 100%....The only thing I would add is that I personally think part of an officials evaluation should come from his fellow officials

Well put Hardwood:thumb:

Well said! :thumb: Also, there are coaches who give lists to the assinging secretaries with the names of officials that are allowed to do their games. Wonder why you see the same group of officials at particular schools?

I am standing and applauding this post!!!!!!!!! I agree almost 100%....The only thing I would add is that I personally think part of an officials evaluation should come from his fellow officials

I don't think evaluating by fellow officials would work at all. It's too much of a conflict of interest.