Who is the best basketball official in your region?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He called one of the most biased state tournament games I've ever seen in 1999 0r 2000 (not sure of the year) when he officiated the semifinal game between Scott County and Paducah Tilghman. It was pretty bad, and he made it so obvious. I really felt sorry for the Tilghman coach and his team. They deserved to win the game, but a series of horrendous calls (imo) late in the 4th period, nearly all that went against Tilghman an nearly all made by Ashurst, doomed the Tornado. There were around 18,000 in Rupp, and I'd safely say 15,000 of them stood and booed for 15 minutes after the game was over.

That was the worst I have ever seen, I will never forget that game and had no ties to either team, just a fan.

Are you speaking of the same Cary Lyle who officiates football in the 16th Region? Works for the state at Greenbo Lake? If so, I wonder why he calls out of another area in basketball. If we're speaking of the same Cary Lyle then your compliments suit him well. He's an excellant football official who officiated the State Finals last year and while I haven't seen him call basketball, I can only assume that he's at the top level of that as well. Not only is he an excellant official but he's also a great association member who cares deeply for the future of officiating in this state. He's a tremendous asset and mentor to our football association. I have a ton of respect for the man.

Yes it is the same guy, he is also a top notch baseball umpire. He has taken time off from baseball to watch his daughter play softball.

Could not disagree more. IMO, of these 3, Mike Philpot is the only one worth anything, the other two are subpar, and that is being nice. Best in the 13th is Glenn Gray, hands down.

How can you consider Ashurst a subpar basketball official when he has called many high level college games? He should at least be par (average) for high school. I thought Gray stopped calling games when he became the coach at Clay for one year. I am sure you could find a few coaches who would disagree with you on Philpot.

How can you consider Ashurst a subpar basketball official when he has called many high level college games? He should at least be par (average) for high school. I thought Gray stopped calling games when he became the coach at Clay for one year. I am sure you could find a few coaches who would disagree with you on Philpot.

Just because one officiates college games does not make him/her a good official. Trust me, there are poor college officials too, there's even poor professional officials as well. Remember the NBA gambling scandal involving an official last season? As for Ashhurst, I've watched him call at least 100 games- He always wants to be the star. Paducah Tilghman mean anything to you? Ask anyone in Rupp the day that he took their trip to the Sweet 16 finals away from them, and see what they think.

Glenn Gray is back at it now. As for Philpot, imo he is much better than the other 2 you mentioned.

If you want a legit opinion on the officials in the 13th, ask a visiting out of region team and see what they think.

Just because one officiates college games does not make him/her a good official. Trust me, there are poor college officials too, there's even poor professional officials as well. Remember the NBA gambling scandal involving an official last season? As for Ashhurst, I've watched him call at least 100 games- He always wants to be the star. Paducah Tilghman mean anything to you? Ask anyone in Rupp the day that he took their trip to the Sweet 16 finals away from them, and see what they think.

Glenn Gray is back at it now. As for Philpot, imo he is much better than the other 2 you mentioned.

If you want a legit opinion on the officials in the 13th, ask a visiting out of region team and see what they think.

I bet many would say (at least) Ashurst was average. Most teams that visit the 13th probley don't care much for the game officals here would be my guess. . If you have watched him over 100 times you would know better than me, but if he has called that many games and the state tourney to boot he must be doing something right every now and then. Glad to hear Gray is back he is a very good offical.

I just want to laugh when I read this. Those are 4 very good officials listed there. You know that you can always log onto the KHSAA website and register to officiate. I tell everyone this who criticizes the officials....If you don't like them, if you think you can do better, or you think they need to improve somehow then come on out! I'm sure the local associations would love to have a new official and then you can criticize if you want, I don't think you would anymore but you could if you wanted. Instead of sitting in the stands bashing the officials about 1 missed call, come out and do something about it. This thread was meant to give some officials a bit of credit, not to bash them and call them horrible.

Oh BTW, the first 2 officials listed (Kenny Clark and Tom Sparks) are 2 of the best officials in the 16th region, along with Steve Greenhill. The 3rd offical listed (Dave Anderson) is on his way to big things if he chooses. He's a great young official with a bright future in officiating. That comes from people who know just a bit more about officiating then you.

That is hilarious! Sparks called a "preventive" technical foul on a 7th grader! A SEVENTH GRADER! Said he was"menacing" and "looked at him wrong!" And I saw Clark call a T at Russell 2 years ago the 1st 30 seconds of a JV game. Great officiating there! And if they're so great, why have they not been rated higher and been to the State tourney. Ask a coach before you start rating officials from the stands.

I really like John Chamberlin in the 10th. I spoke with him last night. Many know him and know he is out this year do to medical reasons. Best wishes John and get well soon.

Get Well wishes go out to Mr . Chamberlin. He is one of my favorite refs.

9th region Tom Hummell and Ernie Liggett I know their not working these days but they did a great job!

Add Ron Arsnperger to the list

One of the better ones i've seen. I work with Ernie on a daily bases and man does he have some good ole stories about doing the Highlands/NCC games. We use to heckle him pretty good when i was in school!!!! He indeed misses the game but he also said the game eventually passes you by.

10TH REGION. I GOTTA GO WITH BRIAN WALLINGFORD,,. Super nice guy on and off the court, that means alot,, alot of the Refs think they are College material and some that are college material are not I have seen them in action for 25 years

:thumb:

Brian(Sandman)Sandlin, what a crack up. He use to officiate our Flag Football games a couple of years back and did a decent job!!!! He knew we always played nationally in Florida, so he was always asking us for a ruling!!!! He would also let you know how good of a softball player he was.:lol:

hoops gal, I had to LOL when I read your post....Sparks must not have kids or he would know that it is a seventh grader's nature to look at you wrong.

Also, can you tell me where Joe Billman is from? I am not sure if I know who you are talking about?