Who is the best basketball official in your region?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been impressed with Dexter Campbell from the 14th region. He's been calling games for close to 30 years. I've always felt he gives a great effort and allows the players to determine the outcome. He's understanding with coaches, but he won't permit a coach, or players, to show him up. He keeps the game under control. He calls a lot with Tommy Hutton, another long time 14th official. They do a good job together. Hutton has called many state tournaments, doing the championship game several times. Campbell has been selected to call in the state tournament, too, but he usually declines (for reasons I don't know.)

Our region has other very good refs as well. I could list more who are in the same ball park with Campbell and Hutton. The reason I selected the these two is that they have officiated for a LONG TIME and are very experienced, don't rattle in big games, and are as consistent as possible.

Is Cornbread still at it? He's a classic!

I love Cornbread, and he is a classic and a good ref, but I think he's starting to have trouble keeping up sometimes. Gotta hand it to him though, he is fair and good with the kids.

I haven't seen all of them. I thought Pouncey (?) at the Highlands, CovCath game did a good job. Unfotunately the other two, especially the tall Blonde guy drug him down.

Wow you must be a great official if you think there are no good officials in the 9th region. I am sure they would love to have you join their association. Step up and join there smart guy!

9th

Jon Campbell- He is doing some D3 college games now so he doesn't have as much time for HS Basketball. Still the best in my opinion.

Dan Sheilds- Very good with the coaches and players. He lets you talk, as long as your not being smart with him.

Dave Canaract-Style very much like Sheilds. He lets you ask questions from what I can tell and knows the game well.

As for Tim O'Hara, when I played I thought he was one of the best ones, but I really haven't been impressed with him over the past few years.

I had an opportunity to watch Shields recently and I would have to strongly disagree with you. Loses control of the game rather quickly and gets very intimidated by certain coaches. At the game I saw he did finally T the coach up but the coach had been on him for quite sometime and it didn't change after he T'd he/she up. The coach worked him over pretty good when if they were a lesser coach with lesser credentials they would have been sent to the showers. After seeing him on a number of occassions in the past couple of years he would be in my bottom 10 probably.

Why is this funny?

When I have seen him Lonnie do games in the past he has been fair on both ends of the court.

You cant say that for alot of Ref's around the 15th and 16th.

He doesn't know the rules for one thing. You don't shoot free throws on a charging call!

Bo Queen does a fine job in the 10th and 11th.

Bo Queen is a solid Official. Has worked many regional championships. Saw him at the Fieldhouse the last two years doing the finals. I know he worked the Huntington High/Scott County game at Memorial last year that was televised.

Did a fine job then as he always does.

Cary Lyle also does a fine job. Both of these guys work alot together in big games in the 10th and 11th. Would love to see these guys get to Rupp soon.

They deserve it...

As an 8th Region Official myself...I like to watch Terry Coldiron and Mark Howell work...I believe Steve Kellam has retired from officiating, but he was another great official that I enjoyed watching...these guys officiate without emotion, Mark is probably the best at keeping his cool...but I agree Terry Coldiron is "our best"...

I think Larry Boucher decides who officates what games at the State Tournnament...

Welcome to the site OlTrojan. It's unusualy for someone's first post to be a POSITIVE one. I commend you.:thumb:

and I agree - Mr. Queen, Mr. Lyle, and Kirk Hudson all three deserve a shot in Rupp.

Thank you Plato. Just wish more people would be more positive.

I just hope the 10th region moving to Montgomery Co. does not hurt Mr. Queen in working the tournament. Naturally he can be moved to the 11th as that is where he usually is anyway.But the last couple of years he has been moved to the 10th finals as he said Montgomery had been beaten out and one of the other refs was either scratched by Coach O'Hearn or Coach Humphries.

Talked to Bo at the Mason/Scott Co Game and he said he had been picked to do The All "A" State in Richmond...Congratulations on his hard work..:thumb::thumb::thumb: