Trinity vs. Saint Xavier 6A State Championship

Who wins the title?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

I disagree. Duece, who may be the best back in the state, was not the difference maker. X's offensive and defensive lines were the difference makers. They dominated the game on both sides of the ball. Ask Manual how much of a difference Deuce made.

Pick any team in the state and take their best player off for the first 3 1/2 to 4 playoff games. (Stein at Trinity, Robinson at Lone Oak, Steelman at BG, Cecil at HHS etc.) How many teams win all 4 games? Not many, if any. X is just a different animal this year.

I ask again: What weaknesses does X have?

I will be happy to answer that = NONE !!!!!

Your also absolutely correct in that the LINE is the difference maker. I feel sorry for our "poor little lineman.":scared:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Duece, who may be the best back in the state, was not the difference maker. X's offensive and defensive lines were the difference makers. They dominated the game on both sides of the ball. Ask Manual how much of a difference Deuce made.

Pick any team in the state and take their best player off for the first 3 1/2 to 4 playoff games. (Stein at Trinity, Robinson at Lone Oak, Steelman at BG, Cecil at HHS etc.) How many teams win all 4 games? Not many, if any. X is just a different animal this year.

From what I have seen in a few games over this year...

- Slow to get start on offense at times

- Passing game has had some ebbs and flows

The Game as I see it:

Trinity - Comes into the game playing its best ball of the year and riding the arm and shoulders of Mr. Football candidate Stein. Just having broke BB's single season record for TD passes, the Rock offense will have a few things to say on Saturday night... . With LB's that would make Jopa smile, the Rock D is solid as it has ever been. I have heard a few Rock posters say that the special teams need improvement, well, that might be the case, yet I'm confident that the Rock coaching staff will put in a few new wrinkles....

St. Xavier - Enters the game on a 14 game win streak playing its best ball of the year as well. Having delt with injuries and continuing to do so, this bunch of Tigers has responded in a very positive manner. Montano, Knotts and Neal have been a very pleasant development in the absence of Finch. The Offense has started to exploit weapons such has Zoller (running and passing), Thomas (receiving), Brown (receiving) etc. This ho hum offense is "pretty good".... OL quickness and strength has shown some improvment this year.

Strengths:

Trinity => T offense is on fire. Has demonstrated the the last 9 weeks that no one can defend this multidementional attack. I look for the Rock offense to use a very controlled passing game coupled with the delayed draws and sweeps of Phillips. Look for misdirection plays on long yard situations. The Dutton twins with Ratcliff make this a dangerous receiving core. Screens and draws are the keys for the Rocks, throw in a few long balls as well for good measure. The O line will benefit from Roby going both ways to help open holes for the running game and pass protection.

St. Xavier => Strength has to include the defense which has allowed less than 7 points per game this year. Given up a total of 10 points in 4 playoff games. LB play as well as D line play has highlighted this run. D backs are seasoned as well. Quickness has been the key to this Tigers D. Group has played as a cohesive unit this season. One wonders how they would respond if put in a hole, as in scoreboard?

Weaknesses: Trinty => None to mention

St. Xavier => None to mention

Special Teams: We all know this could be a deciding factor. Both have the talent and coaching to make big plays on special teams. Somewhere in the game, this will swing momentum...

Outcome:

Rock running game against X DL and LB's

X running game against Rock DL and LB's

Rock passing attack vs X D

X passing attack vs Rock D

Special Teams: Field Goals.....KO returns and punts....

I know how I want the game to go, but in all reality, its just like

Strawberries = > YOU PICK EM... Good Luck to both teams. May the best team win.

GO TIGERS...

Very well put! I like all your points! But you know where stand on who wins... GO ROCKS! #18

I will give one that has been consistant all year and is seen to be true on film with study. Z for X does not throw the ball to his left well at all!!!! so how is that for a weakness, we should force all plays to his running left.:rolleyes:

1. Dropped passes. Prone to a couple a game although Have decreased lately.

2. Our offense has been sluggish at times and been bailed out by a big pass play or two that Trinity does not give up very often.

3. Still not a good 3rd and long team.

4. Defense has not played a complete game all year, several blowouts. How will we respond to a couple or more Trinity scores????

5. Play calling was questionable in 2005 State Game, we stopped running the ball once Curley went down....Must establish the run early and often.

6. Jumping offsides when Trinity mimicks the snap count, ie 2005 and called for against Boone

Trinity is well coached and will use our speed against us with Phillips' screens and draws; all he needs is a very small window and he is gone.

I refuse to take the bait your guys are offering. I feel we were a couple scores better in 2005 and look what happened....This game will be a battle.

Go Tigers

^ Tiger2023 - You are right about those weaknesses. I was just tring to keep it on the positive side. Its just really kinda funny to here these Rock supporters claim how much an underdog they are etc., but they will sure remind you of their 16 state championships...... I'm quite surprised that they dont support their own team a little more. I would think they would be more postive towards their beloved Shamrocks.

:D

2. Our offense has been sluggish at times and been bailed out by a big pass play or two that Trinity does not give up very often.

4. Defense has not played a complete game all year, several blowouts. How will we respond to a couple or more Trinity scores????

5. Play calling was questionable in 2005 State Game, we stopped running the ball once Curley went down....Must establish the run early and often.

6. Jumping offsides when Trinity mimicks the snap count, ie 2005 and called for against Boone

Trinity is well coached and will use our speed against us with Phillips' screens and draws; all he needs is a very small window and he is gone.

I refuse to take the bait your guys are offering. I feel we were a couple scores better in 2005 and look what happened....This game will be a battle.

Go Tigers

We gave up number two twice in the sept meeting and BC who is not known for it's passing game burned us for almost two quarters. Sorry you need to delete that one.

Plus X will have Deuce stronger for this game. If they put 31 up on Meade County, a much better defense than Trinity, how many will they put up on the Rocks? I think Glaser will send a message this Saturday night that there is a new top dog in town. Based on the lower level domination by X, it may be that way for awhile. :scared:

Will Trinity score double digit points against the best defense in the state? Remember, they didn't break double digits until they scored a meaningless touchdown with a minute to go against X's second team defense.

'Tis true...really....as brutally painful as it is the pendulum has clearly swung.

Go Tigers

Very good points, and in adding to your last 2 statements-people don't realize that in a rivalry this fierce anything can happen on any given night. I felt the 2003 Rocks were at least 10 points better than the Tigers and X was in the game all the way up until the end.

IMO-We can forget weaknesses because "strengths" are what got each of these two teams to this point. The parts on these teams are fairly interchangeable with X and T teams of the past, but I will say that two dramatic "strengths" in this matchup are the return of Coach Coverdale to the Rocks and Coach Bill Glaser to the Tigers. With the addition of these two outstanding football minds complimenting the already excellent coaching staff members of both teams I truly look for this to be an epic battle.

My hope is for no injuries, especially to the many Seniors of both teams playing possibly their last football game, and a hard fought game. Of course, my selfish side wants nothing more than for the Tigers to bring home the hardware too :D

I will be happy to answer that = NONE !!!!!

Your also absolutely correct in that the LINE is the difference maker. I feel sorry for our "poor little lineman.":scared:

I still not buying it from you T guys! This game is a toss up!

^ Tiger2023 - You are right about those weaknesses. I was just tring to keep it on the positive side. Its just really kinda funny to here these Rock supporters claim how much an underdog they are etc., but they will sure remind you of their 16 state championships...... I'm quite surprised that they dont support their own team a little more. I would think they would be more postive towards their beloved Shamrocks.

:D

Just to clarify....it's currently at 17.

I know that I voted for X, but that was a pre-emptive vote. I know that I should vote for X so that we have a chance to tie Trinity with 17 titles as of Friday, but I have to go with the Rocks and if anyone can do it, it's them(or Highlands). Since they are the one playing them, we'll root for the Rocks.