Trinity vs. Saint Xavier 6A State Championship

Who wins the title?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the history of this series, X and T have met 12 times in the playoffs. The winner of the regular season game has lost 5 times. Despite what's being posted on here by some Trinity fans, mostly tongue in cheek, nobody that knows anything about high school football expects the Tigers to blow the Rocks away in this one. This is a clash of Titans. Both teams are outstanding. Both teams have athletes all over the field. Both teams are well coached. Both teams are well supported by their fans. I expect nothing less than a down to the the wire thriller. I'm sticking with X28 T24.

In the history of this series, X and T have met 12 times in the playoffs. The winner of the regular season game has lost 5 times. Despite what's being posted on here by some Trinity fans, mostly tongue in cheek, nobody that knows anything about high school football expects the Tigers to blow the Rocks away in this one. This is a clash of Titans. Both teams are outstanding. Both teams have athletes all over the field. Both teams are well coached. Both teams are well supported by their fans. I expect nothing less than a down to the the wire thriller. I'm sticking with X28 T24.

I agree. If you talk to anyone who truely understands football and more importantly closely matched teams, you will find the game will come down to 3-4 plays. Whoever makes the 3-4 bigs plays will be be in the position to win. The T fans are the ones claiming X is a "Favorite". We learned our painfull lesson in 2005 and we were on the wrong side of every big play and other issues.

I am looking forward to the atmosphere Saturday night. I hope both teams enjoy the moment and win or lose will create a great memory.

Go Tigers

CR you are correct I don't even think we should show up. I just don't see how we can beat the best D X has by some accounts ever had. We have never scored more than 28pts on X and have not seen that many since 2000 during Bob's first year. The Trinity D has not stopped the run all year when we are playing a balanced team this is going to be a major problem in this game. Hety it is like MG said to his LB's before the regular season game " Their Two are better then our Three". He must have been right as we got beat. :scared:

I'm not buying any of this from you T guys. This game is dead even with maybe a slight edge to the Tigers based on the D. It could go either way! The team that wants it the most will take it. I just hope the Tiger's are real hungry.

I'm not buying any of this from you T guys. This game is dead even with maybe a slight edge to the Tigers based on the D. It could go either way!

What weaknesses do the Tigers have?

What has so dramatically changed in 10 weeks to give Trinity an even shot with X?

Remember, the first game could have been even worse than it was if X didn't take out its starters, or lose Deuce to cramping.

The Game as I see it:

Trinity - Comes into the game playing its best ball of the year and riding the arm and shoulders of Mr. Football candidate Stein. Just having broke BB's single season record for TD passes, the Rock offense will have a few things to say on Saturday night... . With LB's that would make Jopa smile, the Rock D is solid as it has ever been. I have heard a few Rock posters say that the special teams need improvement, well, that might be the case, yet I'm confident that the Rock coaching staff will put in a few new wrinkles....

St. Xavier - Enters the game on a 14 game win streak playing its best ball of the year as well. Having delt with injuries and continuing to do so, this bunch of Tigers has responded in a very positive manner. Montano, Knotts and Neal have been a very pleasant development in the absence of Finch. The Offense has started to exploit weapons such has Zoller (running and passing), Thomas (receiving), Brown (receiving) etc. This ho hum offense is "pretty good".... OL quickness and strength has shown some improvment this year.

Strengths:

Trinity => T offense is on fire. Has demonstrated the the last 9 weeks that no one can defend this multidementional attack. I look for the Rock offense to use a very controlled passing game coupled with the delayed draws and sweeps of Phillips. Look for misdirection plays on long yard situations. The Dutton twins with Ratcliff make this a dangerous receiving core. Screens and draws are the keys for the Rocks, throw in a few long balls as well for good measure. The O line will benefit from Roby going both ways to help open holes for the running game and pass protection.

St. Xavier => Strength has to include the defense which has allowed less than 7 points per game this year. Given up a total of 10 points in 4 playoff games. LB play as well as D line play has highlighted this run. D backs are seasoned as well. Quickness has been the key to this Tigers D. Group has played as a cohesive unit this season. One wonders how they would respond if put in a hole, as in scoreboard?

Weaknesses: Trinty => None to mention

St. Xavier => None to mention

Special Teams: We all know this could be a deciding factor. Both have the talent and coaching to make big plays on special teams. Somewhere in the game, this will swing momentum...

Outcome:

Rock running game against X DL and LB's

X running game against Rock DL and LB's

Rock passing attack vs X D

X passing attack vs Rock D

Special Teams: Field Goals.....KO returns and punts....

I know how I want the game to go, but in all reality, its just like

Strawberries = > YOU PICK EM... Good Luck to both teams. May the best team win.

GO TIGERS...

Here's the breakdown from September 28 from your website. Trinity 2 LB's 14 tackles X 3 LB- 7 tackles.

TACKLES (UA-A): St Xavier Lou-DJ Hall 7-0; 20 5-0; J Carpenter 3-0; J

Merimee 3-0; N Heuser 3-0; N Combs 3-0; C Showalter 2-0; C Hale 2-0; C Allgeier 2-0; J Hilt 1-0; C Jones 1-0; M Roth 1-0; S Galbraith 1-0; G Datillo 1-0; J Taylor 1-0; J Martin 1-0.

Trinity High School-J Whiting 8-0; W Weitlauf 6-0; 53 5-0; S Robey 4-0; D SHearer 3-0; T Bishop 2-0; A Kupper 2-0; A Deeds 1-0; R Krupp 1-0; B Messina 1-0; M Hogan 1-0; P McCauley 1-0; N Van Wallaghen 1-0.

Here are Some more random stats to consider:

Division 1 Scholarship offers- Trinity LB-1(Ohio State), X LB-0

Division 1 Matchup- Sam Robey- ( Florida, U of L, UK, etc) James Carpenter ( none )

Division 1 Matchup- Nathan Dutton WR ( many, I am sure ) WR- vs Connor Hale ( none )

Mr Kentucky Candidates- T- 1 X - None

Last playoff game Kickoff touchbacks- Zlatan-6 St.X kickers-0

Number of Non-District opponents that reached 2nd round of KY playoffs

Trinity 3 of 6 (plus Ohio State Champion St X) St X 7 of 7

Number of Non district opponents in the Ky state finals

Trinity 2 of 6 St X 3 of 7

Stein's record as starting QB versus X 0-3

Zoeller's record as starting QB versus T 3-0

Record away or neutral site games T- Wins 3 Losses 2 average score 41-24

St X 6-0 average score 38-8

Average score versus state final teams ( Ohio and KY)

T- 28 to 33- 3 games- 1-2 record

St X - 33 to 10 -3 games- 3-0 record

Biggest Impact player since September 28th( IMHO )- T DT-Colin Saylor

St X- Will Simmons

Season interceptions thrown T-6 X-1

Season fumbles lost T-11 St X-5

Number of 2 way players- Trinity 4 St X-0

Guys - Lets talk reality here. A lot of folks thought X had the team in 2005. The regular season resulted in a beating put on the Rocks. In the State game, the Rocks returned the favor. So, it does not matter who you "think" is the better team at this point. The game must be played and each team has equal chance to win. So trying to say that the Rocks are a 35 point underdog is crazy. If your conceeding the State Title Game for what you think might happen, better start convincing Beaty and Co. not to show up on Saturday night. I just have a strong idea that the Rock football team will show up..... It was a nice try though....

I am just going by jimmyref and his stats. I hope we can get more than 1 or 2 first downs. Stein will be lucky to get more than 20 yards on the "BEST DEFENSE IN THE STATE".

What weaknesses do the Tigers have?

What has so dramatically changed in 10 weeks to give Trinity an even shot with X?

Remember, the first game could have been even worse than it was if X didn't take out its starters, or lose Deuce to cramping.

What has changed? Duece is not near 100% and he was the difference maker in the first game.

I am just going by jimmyref and his stats. I hope we can get more than 1 or 2 first downs. Stein will be lucky to get more than 20 yards on the "BEST DEFENSE IN THE STATE".

T will get first downs and some points. Just not as many as they are used to getting. Then it comes down to special teams and T defense. The major advantage in the first game was punt returns- I see T has punted 4 times in the last 5 games. Marshall County just kicked it out of bounds.

What has changed? Duece is not near 100% and he was the difference maker in the first game.

I disagree. Duece, who may be the best back in the state, was not the difference maker. X's offensive and defensive lines were the difference makers. They dominated the game on both sides of the ball. Ask Manual how much of a difference Deuce made.

Pick any team in the state and take their best player off for the first 3 1/2 to 4 playoff games. (Stein at Trinity, Robinson at Lone Oak, Steelman at BG, Cecil at HHS etc.) How many teams win all 4 games? Not many, if any. X is just a different animal this year.

I ask again: What weaknesses does X have?