Who was the most dominant Mr. Football player in Kentucky high school history?

Diogenes

Most dominant Mr. Football in KHSAA History  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Most dominant Mr. Football in KHSAA History

• 1986 - Frank Jacobs
    • 1987 - Kurt Barber
    • 1988 - Jeff Brohm
    • 1989 - Pookie Jones
    • 1990 - Damon Hood
    • 1991 - Scott Russell
    • 1992 - Billy Jack Haskins
    • 1993 - Jeremy Simpson
    • 1994 - Shaun Alexander
    • 1995 - Tim Couch
    • 1996 - Derek Homer
    • 1997 - Dennis Johnson
    • 1998 - Jared Lorenzen
    • 1999 - Travis Atwell
    • 2000 - Montrell Jones
    • 2002 - Michael Bush
    • 2003 - Brian Brohm
    • 2004 - Curtis Pulley
    • 2005 - Micah Johnson
    • 2006 - Douglas Beaumont
    • 2001 Jeff Duggins

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly know very little about the HS career of Alexander...

I apologize to have insulted your greater knowledge of high school football. Alexander was an outstanding high school player. Couch was an amazing player also, either would be a good pick. I was stating my opinion.

I apologize to have insulted your greater knowledge of high school football. Alexander was an outstanding high school player. Couch was an amazing player also, either would be a good pick. I was stating my opinion.

Your opinion was that, if allowed, Couch would have won the award twice. I simply pointed out the absurdity of that claim...

I would have to go with Couch. He was very dominant as a high school player. What he did in high school was simply amazing.

Hes not the best player to ever come out of Kentucky. Obviously Shawn Alexander is above him there no doubt. But I think he was the most dominant Mr. Football.

:thumb: :thumb:

Seems like DJ and Couch were both Parade All Americans.

I voted Bush just because nobody else could do what he did in high school. There have been great RB's, QB's, WR's, kick returners and defensive guys. Nobody could do them all the way he did it!

My reasoning as well. Brian was a better QB than Mike was, but Brian couldn't do half as many things as well as Mike did on the field.

I said that Bush is second, but coming close and actually doing it are two different things. Ask the Buffalo Bills. Brian stepped up and did it when it counted. Bush was a great high school player but I think Brian was better. If you throw in college, I think the gap widens. Brohm has been the better overall player.

How can you really say Brohm was better than Bush in college? They both have had great college careers, they play different positions. It's like saying a corvette is a better vehicle than an two ton pick up....depends on the particular use doesn't it? Does Brohm have more total yardage than Bush, I would hope so!! QB's in a pass oriented offense should always be the stat leader in yardage. As a UL fan, I thought they were both special players. I thought Brian got the benefit of some of his passing success from 1. Great receivers 2. A great offensive scheme and 3. Michael Bush, defenses had to respect the run. Bush looked like Herschel Walker in his last game against Kentucky until he got hurt. Had Brohm closed the deal and took us to the championship without Bush I would concede Brohm as the King. But, we all know what happened in the Rutgers game. Brohm is maybe the best QB in the nation this year, he's excellent at making quick reads and accurate throws. But, he's not going to beat you with his legs. Bush could run, catch and block. Brohm could pass. I understand Brohm won more state titles, beat Bush and Male, barely, head to head in the greatest game in high school history....but he did it playing QB only. Bush was going both ways. Would Brian have survived that game playing saftey or linebacker trying to tackle a Michale Bush on a QB draw or scramble?

Again its really hard and almost unfair to compare the two because they were/are such different players. I will say Brohm was the most dominant QB in Ky high school history, sorry Couch fans but Tim didn't play agaisnt the same level of competition as Brohm.

Brian Brohm seems to be the best answer for me...

In the 2002 State Title gamed, deemed the greatest high school game ever played by several publications, Brohm was 19-25 for 552 yards and 7 TD's!

That is DOMINANT!

Tashawn McBroom-7 rec. 300yds 4TD's

That is dominant. A little more so than Brohm.

Shaun Alexander can not be the answer in that he never won the title.

Not that critical in a discussion about how dominant a player is when talking about a team sport. Otherwise someone would argue that Wilt Chamberlin was not a dominant player his first several years in the NBA.

I will only base my opinion on the few Mr. Football's that I have been fortunate enough to see in person. I have seen:

Travis Atwell

Kurt Barber

Pookie Jones

Billy Jack Haskins

Tim Couch

Dennis Johnson

Micheal Bush

Curtis Pulley

Brian Brohm

Out of all of these, I would have to say Micheal Bush was the most dominant football player I have ever seen. I saw the Hoptown game at Trigg County and I believe he scored in almost every way possible. I remember that he threw a Td (i think 3), ran for a TD, returned a punt for TD, returned a kick, and an interception. I was actually surprised that he didn't kick the extra point. The other guys on this list were great football players, but for my money, give me the guy that dominated every snap of the game. You could not keep him off the field.

I voted for Alexander but I still marvel at Atwell's statistics. 72 TD's, 42 passing and 30 rushing is very impressive.

Lorenzen could of easily surpassed those numbers if he would of played a full 60 quarters of football. Out of the shotgun nobody could stop him running the ball. And i mean Nobody. Passing the ball he had one of the if not the most dominent tight ends to play at the High School level. Just think if Dale would of left these guys in the game. :scared:

The only Mr Football that I saw play in high school was Mark Higgs well and Travis Atwell and I would like to throw in a vote for Higgs he was dominant in the 80's and was also dominant on a poor UK team and also had a very nice NFL career. I can remember the game where he was about to be tackled for a lose and shook the guy off and left his cleat behind and continued to run it back 90+ yards with one shoe on. All I have read Michael Bush was spectacular if you go to the top stats in the state history he is listed in almost every category but kicking. All the guys that are listed were all very good in their time. But you have to take into consideration where they cam from who they played if some of these guys played for Louisville Trinity they may even have better stats. The biggest school from the biggest town in KY I would say they will win 8 of the next 10 6A titles because that is the way it is. Brohm is very good too but you can not throw in state titles for a team that should win a state title every year they play. It would be like Applachian St. playing Michigan I know they won but if you played that game 99 more times how many do they win EXACTLY!! Maybe this should be a poll on Mr Football by position because you can not really argue a QB vs a RB.

I really don't see how you can't say it's Michael Bush. The thread is the most dominant FOOTBALL player. Not the best QB, or the guy on the best teams ever. BTW, for those of you who don't know, football is the GREATEST team sport ever. Teams win championships. Players don't win them singlehandedly. I hate that argument. I hate the Dan Marino argument. "Well he never got a ring, so he can't be the best QB ever". Why? What's that got to do with anything.

Anyway, back to Bush. I saw him play in the 4A title game as a sophomore, and he was clearly the most dominant player on the field that day. Especially on D. He had a couple of pics, and owned his half of hte field. He was the best receiver too on the same team that had Mr. Everything Montrell Jones (a senior at the time) who played for UT. This is how you quantify a dominant FOOTBALL player. Bush could have been first or second team all state at 8 or 9 positions on either side of the ball. That's right. No other player in the history of the state comes close. Think about it. QB, RB, WR, TE, SS, FS, ILB or OLB, CB. If he beefed up I could see him being a great DE. That is AMAZING, and no other player ever has or will ever be able to say that. Probably could have gone pro in about 5 different positions if he prepared his body to be in that specific range and shape (Safety, OLB, QB, WR, RB). I truly believe that.