Raceland 23 Ashland 20

Birdsfan

:thumb: Thanks, just my opinion. I'm almost used to the, "if Raceland wins it's a fluke", "If Raceland looses it was predictable", talk. People, have been doing that since I was a "little ram".

:thumb: :thumb: I have also heard that one all my life, I expect it and just laugh at it now.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raceland's Todd Selvage #4, WOW What an IronMan, the JR NEVER miss a play the whole night. He made some very nice catches and was in on alot of stops he has to be one tired 16 year old. He played his heart out the whole night. His efforts enabled the Rams to a great victory in Putnam. Coach Hoof and his staff had the boys ready. They are all extremely hard workers and their leadership directly reflect the play of the Rams. It was and is truly "A Great day to be a RAM!!!!!!!"

Well, seeing as this will probably be the only Tomcat game I'll get to this year before I head back to school, I should comment on what I saw. And, seeing as I misplaced my maroon tinted shades a few years ago, I can say as a fairly unbiased observer that the best team won this game tonight. They should've scored 30+ but the Rams fumbled a couple away deep in Ashland territory. Raceland had the better QB, the better receiver, and seemed to be much better prepared. Credit to the coaching staff, as it looked like Ashland wasn't allowed to practice all summer while Raceland had been working and fine tuning their game for months. That isn't a knock on Coach Hart, he's working with a young team and they needed some game experience. In fact, you could tell they played better throughout the game as they came out in the 2nd half and took it to Raceland a little better.

Now, my beef lies with the Ashland quarterback situation. I don't mind having Thomas there as long as they use the option or spread out the receivers and run with him some, but in the first half he wasn't being utilized hardly at all out of the backfield. In the 2nd they turned to him some more and he delivered. In terms of his passing, he had a couple nice throws, but some were dropped and others were off target. If Ashland doesn't want to use the option and ignore their best playmaker, they might as well put Royalty back there and let Matt focus on tailback. Speaking of, I don't think it's too early to say we may be seeing the next great Tomcat running back in Rashard Carter. That is, if he keeps his head straight.

As for Raceland, the Sparks kid absolutely impressed the heck out of me. He's a big target, a tough matchup, and seemed to have some nice hands. I would use that roll out pass in the flat or across the middle to him until the defense could stop it. And that's before I saw the leg on him. Kid's a nice player.

Finally, I was shocked at how low Ashland's numbers were. They had, according to the program, only 15 seniors, 17 juniors, and 15 sophomores, I believe. It seemed that Raceland had just as many, or maybe more, kids than Ashland. It's sad evidence that population around the area is on the decline, and I would venture a guess that the next time the KHSAA realigns that Ashland will be a 4A school, seemingly where they belong with the Greenups and Boyds of the world, er state. I saw some improvement tonight, but I think this could be a long season at Putnam. I hope I'm wrong.

I can see where we are both very opinionated on the issue, but all that each of us got to see between ashland and raceland was the game between the two teams, there wasn't much else to compare them to. I think it's a never ending argument. Ashland had plenty of weapons last year but i believe that they were on the defensive side of the ball mostly and they didn't show in that first game last year, all i'm saying is that Ashland wasn't prepared last year, and unfortunately they have that tendency, but tonight they were just outplayed by a better prepared Raceland team. Congrats.

Your right, it is a never ending argument. And a matter of perspective. You obviously saw more of Ashland last year as the year went on, and saw them progress, then compared that progression to how they played in the first game of the year against Raceland. And I am sure that Ashland got much better as the year went on.

I as well saw more of Raceland as the year went on, and saw them progress, then compared that progression to how they played against Ashaland in the first game of the year. And Raceland did as well get better as the year went on.

That's why we have to start somewhere. And game one is it.

Raceland's Todd Selvage #4, WOW What an IronMan, the JR NEVER miss a play the whole night. He made some very nice catches and was in on alot of stops he has to be one tired 16 year old. He played his heart out the whole night. His efforts enabled the Rams to a great victory in Putnam. Coach Hoof and his staff had the boys ready. They are all extremely hard workers and their leadership directly reflect the play of the Rams. It was and is truly "A Great day to be a RAM!!!!!!!"

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: Excellent post BB!!

And for the most part this is a young Rams team!!! :eek: :thumb:

Great game. I was in attendance for this one. Both teams actually played really well for the first game of the season in my opinion. Both teams ran the ball great for most of the game. This one came down to passing in my opinion. Raceland had a few huge plays through the air that really helped them out in third down situations. Ashland didnt move the ball very well through the air. Matt Thomas is going to kill teams with the option this year. If I were a defensive coach I would key on him running and let him try to beat me with his arm. I believe he only had 1 interception, where I was setting it looked like a ball that could have been caught. Might have to blame that one on the reciever.

Ashland needs to improve the secondary.

Great game between two solid teams.

Congrats to Raceland on the win.

Well, seeing as this will probably be the only Tomcat game I'll get to this year before I head back to school, I should comment on what I saw. And, seeing as I misplaced my maroon tinted shades a few years ago, I can say as a fairly unbiased observer that the best team won this game tonight. They should've scored 30+ but the Rams fumbled a couple away deep in Ashland territory. Raceland had the better QB, the better receiver, and seemed to be much better prepared. Credit to the coaching staff, as it looked like Ashland wasn't allowed to practice all summer while Raceland had been working and fine tuning their game for months. That isn't a knock on Coach Hart, he's working with a young team and they needed some game experience. In fact, you could tell they played better throughout the game as they came out in the 2nd half and took it to Raceland a little better.

Now, my beef lies with the Ashland quarterback situation. I don't mind having Thomas there as long as they use the option or spread out the receivers and run with him some, but in the first half he wasn't being utilized hardly at all out of the backfield. In the 2nd they turned to him some more and he delivered. In terms of his passing, he had a couple nice throws, but some were dropped and others were off target. If Ashland doesn't want to use the option and ignore their best playmaker, they might as well put Royalty back there and let Matt focus on tailback. Speaking of, I don't think it's too early to say we may be seeing the next great Tomcat running back in Rashard Carter. That is, if he keeps his head straight.

As for Raceland, the Sparks kid absolutely impressed the heck out of me. He's a big target, a tough matchup, and seemed to have some nice hands. I would use that roll out pass in the flat or across the middle to him until the defense could stop it. And that's before I saw the leg on him. Kid's a nice player.

Finally, I was shocked at how low Ashland's numbers were. They had, according to the program, only 15 seniors, 17 juniors, and 15 sophomores, I believe. It seemed that Raceland had just as many, or maybe more, kids than Ashland. It's sad evidence that population around the area is on the decline, and I would venture a guess that the next time the KHSAA realigns that Ashland will be a 4A school, seemingly where they belong with the Greenups and Boyds of the world, er state. I saw some improvement tonight, but I think this could be a long season at Putnam. I hope I'm wrong.

you read my mind... and I really hope we turn out sort of like last year using this game as a wake up call and finally get our act together.

Well, seeing as this will probably be the only Tomcat game I'll get to this year before I head back to school, I should comment on what I saw. And, seeing as I misplaced my maroon tinted shades a few years ago, I can say as a fairly unbiased observer that the best team won this game tonight. They should've scored 30+ but the Rams fumbled a couple away deep in Ashland territory.

Typical first game mistakes. Raceland had some fumbles and a few dropped passes, and missed assignment, as did Ashland. As usual, it came down to who had less mistakes and who capitalized on the other teams mistakes.

Raceland had the better QB, the better receiver, and seemed to be much better prepared. Credit to the coaching staff, as it looked like Ashland wasn't allowed to practice all summer while Raceland had been working and fine tuning their game for months. That isn't a knock on Coach Hart, he's working with a young team and they needed some game experience. In fact, you could tell they played better throughout the game as they came out in the 2nd half and took it to Raceland a little better.

I have to hand it to the Raceland coaching staff, Raceland was very well prepared and at time looked as if they had played a couple games, but still had some early season mistakes. At times it did look like Ashland was ill prepared, and they did get better as the game went on, hats off to Coach Hart for making some big ajustments.

I was shocked at how they were using Thomas. I believe this is the first time that I have seen Ashland not run the "I". Mostly Wing T, and coming into the game Thomas was their playmaker. I agree with you Carter is the future of Ashland, and the future is bright. But, they need to put the ball is Thomas hands more, let him make the play.

Sparks is a very good athlete, not lightning fast, but big and has good hands, and a very good right leg. He is a very good basketball player which gives him good hands and catching ability. And at 6'5", not to many DB's are going to cover him when the pass is over his head. Aaron Petrey gave him much kicking instruction, and Petrey must be as good of a coach as he is a kicker, because Sparks in a very good kicker.

I think Raceland did have more players then Ashland, I was shocked about that as well. I do not remember Ashland being that small before.

I don't think it is as much about population as it is that there is more competition with football then their used to be. I think Ashland falls in the 5A enrollment, but more kids are playing soccer, fall baseball, and involved in other activities. That is why we, at Raceland, have outlawed all other activities, and boys in 9-12 grade must play football to graduate.:lol:

Blazer you are right. I forgot to mention Selvage. He has camped out in the weight room and added, what looked to be, about 20 pounds of pure muscle. He did play like a mad man of defense, and had some nice clutch catches on third downs. A much improved player that in not on anyone's radar, until now.

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: Excellent post BB!!

And for the most part this is a young Rams team!!! :eek: :thumb:

This is a young Raceland team. The entire backfield is made up of juniors. Most of the linemen are sophomores and juniors. Two of the three LB's are juniors, The entire DL is juniors, and the entire secondary is juniors. Scary, for opponents, that is.

I think Raceland did have more players then Ashland, I was shocked about that as well. I do not remember Ashland being that small before.

I don't think it is as much about population as it is that there is more competition with football then their used to be. I think Ashland falls in the 5A enrollment, but more kids are playing soccer, fall baseball, and involved in other activities. That is why we, at Raceland, have outlawed all other activities, and boys in 9-12 grade must play football to graduate.:lol:

Ashland won their last State Championship with 42 players 10-12. Numbers are not as important as some want to make it. Sure its great to have 70+ run out on the field but if 50 of them aren't goin to contribute on Friday nights what difference does it make? JMO.

Congrats to the Raceland on the win.

Ashland won their last State Championship with 42 players 10-12. Numbers are not as important as some want to make it.

Congrats to the Raceland on the win.

I agree 110%. I wasn't implying anything about the numbers, just commenting on a previous post. If there is anything that a Raceland fan can agree with it is that you can win with a small team. I just don't remember Ashland ever not having more players then Raceland.

Like I said, it is about competition with football, over the last several years, Greenup Co, who used to dress 80 players, has had the same about of players as Raceland. It has been common for Raceland to have more players then 2A, 3A, and 4A opponents.

Sparks 80 yards receiving.......Boyles 244 in the air.

What stands out in the performance by Boyles is that he threw 0 INT's.

To start your first game at QB and throw for 244 yds and 0 INT's really shows how hard he has worked to understand the offense and his ability to make good decisions.

Very impressive.

Football in Boyd County took a spanking tonight .... Tomcats and Lions went down to a Pirate and another group of hungry Rams.

Thats pretty classy:thumb:

If u seen either game, spanking is the farthest thing that happened. Outplayed? Definetly, Raceland and East Carter both deserve GREAT credit for their wins tonight, but lets have just a bit more class for the Ashland and Boyd's Kids, both played hard also.