Raceland 23 Ashland 20

Birdsfan

Great balance for the Rams tonight, if a team goes in to a game with Raceland and runs just a pass defense, like some did last year, that team will be in trouble.

Raceland's offense was 60/40, run/pass. Denton, Carver, and Peircey ran great with some great runs over 10 yards, for 197 total rushing. Boyles was 15 for 20 with 244 yards passing. Sparks caught 6 passes for 80 yards. If that is not a well balanced offense then I don't know what is. Plus special teams, and they were special. Sparks had two touchbacks, 3 FG - including the game winner, return teams did a nice job.

But the story of the night was defense, as someone predicted.:D Raceland's defense dominated Ashland in the first half. Ashland had some long runs in the second half for scores, but the never did put a long sustained drive together against the Raceland Defense.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashland's O/D line needs to mature. Carter is the real deal. He is elusive and fast. Thomas never could get on track. Ashland was run, run, then run some more, they only threw 4 passes completing 2 with one INT. They ran multiple formations, put Thomas and Carter was all of the offense.

I think with two or three games under their belt, Ashland will much improved, they just need some experience, in their new positions.

Ashland's secondary struggled all night. I would hate to know Raceland's 3rd down conversion %, im sure its like 75% or better. That is where they won the game. Ashland seemed to have no gameplan on offense in the first half. Matt Thomas was no factor at all until the 2nd half, where he had some nice runs. Raceland just had a better game plan and great execution. Sparks should have a great year for them.

Ashland fans got to see a glimpse of the future tonight in Rashard Carter. The sophomore in his first varsity game had 236 yards on 20 carries and 2 TD's, including a 70 yard TD run. He showcased his speed and ability to make people miss. His game tonight ranks 10th all-time for rushing yards in a single game. Not bad for a sophomore. I have no doubt the Tomcats will come out hungry next week. Im still very optimistic that this team will work out the kinks and have a great year. The sophomore Carter will be a special player....

Great win for the Rams in what sounds like the game of the night so far!:thumb:

If you were in North-Eastern Kentucky, this was definitely the game to see. Great HS football atmosphere, the place was packed. Great HS football game, monster hits on defense, and what became a nail biter.

Congratulations to Raceland for the win. You have a good team and will have a lot of success this year. I would rate the Rams as better than Mason Co. (which we played last Friday) at this early stage. I think the Russell/Raceland match-up will be interesting.

As I said in the prediction thread - I believe that this inexperienced Tomcat team will improve and play good football later this season, but it may take a few games. I like their grit. They fought back and made a game of it in the 4th quarter. We've got to start games better.

My thoughts after watching the Ashland-Mason County scrimmage:

Not knowing much about Ashland's team, I would still venture to say that this may be a bit of a rebuilding year for them. They have a nice RB (Carter?), an athletic QB, good size. Perhaps the following are areas of concern: overall team speed, lack of a consistent passing game, and kicking game protection.

Was this anywhere near accurate tonight? I really thought that Ashland's weaknesses on special teams might bite them in a close contest.

Congratulations to the Rams on a great win. I have every confidence that the Tomcats will get the ship righted very soon.

This is not the first time Raceland has had a good kicker, right?

Correct. Pettry kicks on Saturday afternoons for the Buckeyes.

Oh yeah. I knew I had heard of some KY kicker in Columbus.;)

Aaron Petrey was their watching his little brother. The younger kids swarmed him for autographs. It seemed to be a special moments for him and the young Ram fans.

Great win for Raceland again - two years in a row is no fluke ...

Ashland really needs to consider direction in this program .... If 5a cannot dominate 1A at the line of scrimmage soemthing is really wrong ...

Always like Raceland staff and kids - no fluke ... Looking forward to matchup with Devils ...

Well... I guess I should put my two cents in on this one... The first win was definitely a fluke if you look at how last year's Ashland team thought that they would just march all over them after the 2005 season butt- whoopin' the Rams took from the Cats. Last year Ashland had the better team but wasn't expecting the Rams to be that pumped for the game.

However, this year's Ashland team imo is like a boat with holes drilled in the hull... the only thing they have going for them is a good backfield, other than that they're terrible.

Alot of work needs to be done by the Tomcats or it's gonna be a long season. But congrats to the Rams... this year wasn't a fluke at all. The Tomcats just don't have their act together yet this year, and quite frankly I'm pretty worried about this season.:confused:

Rambler, you okay? I know you're a Yankees fan but we tend to agree more often than not. It was an exciting game--I just want to make sure you're still with us. :D

:thumb: :thumb: Barely, thanks for checking up on me :lol: . Raceland has a week off next week. I don't know about the kids or the coaches but I need it :scared: :lol:

(You are o.k. for a Red Sox fan :D :thumb: )

well... I guess I should put my two cents in on this one... The first win was definitely a fluke if you look at how last year's Ashland team thought that they would just march all over them after the 2005 season butt- whoopin' the Rams took from the Cats. Last year Ashland had the better team but wasn't expecting the Rams to be that pumped for the game.

However, this year's Ashland team imo is like a boat with holes drilled in the hull... the only thing they have going for them is a good backfield, other than that they're terrible.

Alot of work needs to be done by the Tomcats or it's gonna be a long season. But congrats to the Rams... this year wasn't a fluke at all. The Tomcats just don't have their act together yet this year, and quite frankly I'm pretty worried about this season.:confused:

Fluke? Dicky Martin said that Raceland has won 4 of the last six games played. Does that sound like a fluke? Or is Dicky the fluke?