Pop or Soda debate

justme2018

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when people call everything coke. Don't know why, but I just do.

Another food item with different names by region is pizza. I have an uncle in New Jersey, and he came home not too long ago and offered to order a couple pie's for us. We all looked at him like he was an idiot and he gave us the same look back. We had heard soda called pop, and vice versa, but never has a pizza been called just a pie. You know?

I hate when people call everything coke. Don't know why, but I just do.

Another food item with different names by region is pizza. I have an uncle in New Jersey, and he came home not too long ago and offered to order a couple pie's for us. We all looked at him like he was an idiot and he gave us the same look back. We had heard soda called pop, and vice versa, but never has a pizza been called just a pie. You know?

That just strikes me as very funny, it would take me a second to catch on. You are right though, pretty darn rare to hear them referred to in that way.

ALWAYS was 'soft drink' to me or Coke. When I was a teenager and working in the fast-food trenches, we were taught to always point out to the customer that we carried Pepsi and ask if that was alright with them. Not until I visited friends in Buffalo had I ever heard 'soda' on a regular basis--but of course, when I didn't understand them, I said, "Please?" :)

We just called it what it is....Diet Dr. Pepper....Sunkist.....MT Dew, etc!!!

In Washington State, we called it pop. When we moved to Memphis and asked for something cold to drink, we were asked what kind of coke would you like...LOL I said "What do you mean, what kind of coke do I want." PH used to call it coke, I used to call it pop, so now we just call it by the name of what we want. If one of us says something cold, the other picks out whatever is in the fridge!

I'm not seeing how all "soft drinks" can be called "coke"?

"Give me a Coke" means give me a Coca-Cola. It doesn't mean give me a Dr Pepper or Sprite..It means I want a Coke. Coke is short for 'Coc'a Cola. If you don't have that then tell me & I will take a Pepsi. (I would ask for Pepsi first but still)

"Give me a Mountain Dew" means give me a Mountain Dew

"Give me a Pepsi" means give me a Pepsi.