Pop or Soda debate

justme2018

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread...I went down to Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago & I went to a T-Pain concert. I went to the bar & asked the guy if he had any pop (I'm still a few months away from being able to have that other liquid legally). He looked at me like I was stupid and said "What?" I said "Pop", a little louder. He said, "What?". I said "POP! P-O-P! POP! You know, SODA!" After that he was like, "Ohhhhh soda. Sorry dude, I didn't know what pop was."

So yeah, that's my pop/soda story.

If you're from KY, it is called "pop", OH it is called "soda", and TN just called everything "Coke"....

In our part of KY, most people call it a soft drink, unless it's a cola. For cola drinks, I think they would most often say, "Coke".

I think most Kentuckians refer to it as pop. In my county that's what it's called.

When I was a teenager some cousins were visiting from Cleveland and said they "would like to have a cold soda", and I didn't know what they were talking about.

For Kentuckians maybe near the KY/Ohio border it is referred to as pop, but I believe the majority in Kentucky refer to it as "Coke." The map reflects that.

For Kentuckians maybe near the KY/Ohio border it is referred to as pop, but I believe the majority in Kentucky refer to it as "Coke." The map reflects that.
You would have to mean the Eastern KY/Eastern OH border. Because "pop" definitely isn't a NKY thing.

I have called it both "pop" and "coke". I live in NEKY. I have heard it called both by others here as well.

Has anyone ever heard or said - "Co-Koler" ? I don't know how you spell that but I spelled it the way that it sounds. I guess it one pof those Jeff Foxworthy "redneck" words they we have that other parts of the country do not. LOL

If you're from KY, it is called "pop", OH it is called "soda", and TN just called everything "Coke"....

North of Columbus (Cleveland, Toledo) it's soda. The rest of OH calls it pop. It's soda in most of the country except the midwest.

Having lived in Florida for so long, I always called it Soda. My best friend in Nebraska calls it pop and my family here in Kentucky calls it pop.

Lewis Black had a great joke about going to a restaurant and asking for a Coke and they tell him they only serve Pepsi. His point is, how many people freak out and leave the restaurant and say NO! I want a Coke. I'm going across the street to Buckets of Crap, that's right Buckets of Crap, the food is lousy, but at least I can get a COKE. :lol: