Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

98NCCalum

Originally posted by 3wishes

What about the kid that played football this year, his dad drove him back and forth to Boyle County from Columbia or at least that is how I understood it from the beginning of the season. He was not a resident of Boyle County...?

I never heard where he lived. I just assumed he lived in Boyle County and his dad drove to work in Columbia.

I could be wrong though.

Like everything I have said on here, I have prefaced it with the fact that my information was coming from fans. Fans who I believe to be informed, but they are not authorities.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Oldbird

I never heard where he lived. I just assumed he lived in Boyle County and his dad drove to work in Columbia.

I could be wrong though.

Like everything I have said on here, I have prefaced it with the fact that my information was coming from fans. Fans who I believe to be informed, but they are not authorities.

Even so, you're talking about one school. What about all the others?

I think it is a valid question though. Maybe we see it more up here in NKY because there are so many independent districts that do well athletically and academically, but you have to admit the top independents are miles ahead of the county schools in most areas. Maybe it is smaller numbers, so there is more attention to detail or any number of other reasons, but it seems overall the independents have at least some advantages over the public schools.

There are other issues that attribute to County schools sometimes having weaker teams. Some kids ride school buses over an hour one way to get to the county school. So getting a ride home after football practice might not be real easy. Or maybe they have to go home and help with the farm. Sometimes things are different for the County boys.

City schools are more convienent to their students.

If you are wanting to separate Independant school then I say let's separate private schools also.

Is it fair that 2 private ALL BOYS schools are in the 4A championship with over 1000 boys to choose from and a public 4A school may have a higher enrollment of girls than boys and may be limited to 400 or 500 boys. Doesn't most private schools offer some sort of tuition that could be given to a kid who is not only academically gifted but also athletically gifted to help with the extremely high tuition costs, if you know what I mean.

So if that's the case then let's have a public schools 1A-4A championship, an independant 1A-4A championship and a private school championship. That way it will be fair all around. :D

Originally posted by Pirate Pal

So if that's the case then let's have a public schools 1A-4A championship, an independant 1A-4A championship and a private school championship. That way it will be fair all around. :D

Then it would be watered down and the best wouldn't be playing the best.

Is it fair that 2 private ALL BOYS schools are in the 4A championship with over 1000 boys to choose from and a public 4A school may have a higher enrollment of girls than boys and may be limited to 400 or 500 boys.

1400 for St. X

1300 for Trinity

If you are wanting to separate Independant school then I say let's separate private schools also.

Is it fair that 2 private ALL BOYS schools are in the 4A championship with over 1000 boys to choose from and a public 4A school may have a higher enrollment of girls than boys and may be limited to 400 or 500 boys.

I agree. And St.X and Trinity can just alternate championships each year. And in Single A through 4A we will have 8 teams in every class so that every team wins a Championship every few years, then everyone can be happy.

Better yet..let's separate the state into two classes...winners and losers. Any school that has won a state title in the past 20 years go into one class, those who have never won anything go into another. Isn't this really what this arguement breaks down to anyway?

There is no denying that independent schools have some advantages over schools in the county systems, but not necessarily for the reasons some are stressing here.

Independent schools are different animals than county schools. Because they are confined to a smaller geographic area, there is often more of a sense of community.

The demographics are also very different. Most county schools are generally the same demographically. Here's an example ... take Whitley County, Boyle County and Mercer County ... from a demographic standpoint (among socio-ethnic lines) they're not much different.

But within those counties, the independent systems vary wildly ... Corbin is definitely cut from a different cloth than Danville and Harrodsburg.

As a general rule, independent schools are generally more diverse racially and often have bigger numbers of upper-middle and upper income families. In turn, those systems are sometimes better-funded and therefore have better facilities.

Much of the reason for the independents' success is tradition. There was a time in this state when the majority of football programs in Kentucky hailed from independent schools. Very few county school districts sponsored football teams, then joined the fray only after consolidation became rampant in the 1960s and 1970s.

In 1990, after Russellville won the Class A title, I remember that their coach, Kenny Barrett, was asked why the Panthers' program stayed strong. His answer was tradition, that he had players whose fathers and grandfathers played for Russellville, and that tradition was passed down from one generation to the next.

County schools, many of whom have been playing football for only 30 years or so, or even less, are only now starting to get those second-generation players and establishing some tradition within their programs.

There are so many factors here that could be elaborated upon, but we don't have the time to discuss them all. I think independent schools have some advantages over county schools, but I wouldn't put those advantages in the same ballpark as those enjoyed by private schools.

That's my point exactly 3 wishes.

Why just pick on Independant schools systems when Private schools, especially all boys private school carry the most advantage above everyone. I am from Belfry and we play Pikeville Independant every year and I don't believe that they have any advantage over us at all. Sometimes they win, sometimes we win, it is way sports are. You don't have the same athletes from year to year no matter what type of school system you are.