Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

98NCCalum

Originally posted by Oldbird

I was told last weekend they can't.

If someone lives inside of Boyle county but outside of Danville City limits they must go to Boyle County. Obviously if they live inside Danville City limits they ahve to goto Danville. If someone lives outside of both, Danville is an Independent district they CAN accept that kid. Similar to say a kid, totally hypothetically, lived in Silver Grove and wanted to go to Highlands, they could do so. Highlands could accept him and charge him a small tuition for going there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Play 2 Win

Almost all of those schools mentioned are 2A and 1A. And you want to make them 5A. That is crazy. I'm not informed on the open enrollment thing, but that still doesn't change the fact that these schools have less than 900 students at them.

Private schools have open enrollment.

I didn't mean to imply 5A as a means of number of students, just a classification for independent school distrcits.

We can call it 1B if it will make you feel better.

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Boyle County until a couple years ago had open enrollment along with Danville, so next please.

You clearly stated that Belfry, Trinity and St. Xavier were the only non-independent schools to reach the state finals.

Boyle County is not an independent district.

You were wrong.

Next please, indeed.

If someone lives inside of Boyle county but outside of Danville City limits they must go to Boyle County. Obviously if they live inside Danville City limits they ahve to goto Danville. If someone lives outside of both, Danville is an Independent district they CAN accept that kid. Similar to say a kid, totally hypothetically, lived in Silver Grove and wanted to go to Highlands, they could do so. Highlands could accept him and charge him a small tuition for going there.

Let me repeat. I trust the Danville people to know what their rules are and they are saying that is 100% wrong.

If you don't have an address in the school district then you can not attend Danville.

Originally posted by 3wishes

Correct but there is a charge. Not sure how much but I'm sure it would be the same as al lthe others.

Would not be anywhere near the amount aprivate school must charge though, hence the advantage. You proved my point. Trust me, these independent schools charge a tuition, but it's hardly substantial.

Originally posted by westsider

You clearly stated that Belfry, Trinity and St. Xavier were the only non-independent schools to reach the state finals.

Boyle County is not an independent district.

You were wrong.

Next please, indeed.

I'm sorry I should ahve noted that, when did it switch though? Two years ago? Maybe three? Is it safe to say that the Seniors and Juniors and maybe a couple Soph's on this years team were "grandfathered" in?

Originally posted by Play 2 Win

So they way I understand this then, If you don't live boyle County, you can't go to Boyle County?

Say a 4th grader from Harrodsburg wants to go to Boyle County Elementary. Can he?

Not according to the individuals I was talking to.

This is copied DIRECTLY from Danville Independent's website!

Out of District Students

We welcome out of district students under admission guidelines. If you are interested in attending the Danville Schools but live out of the district's boundaries, contact Mr. Chuck Stallard, Director of Pupil Personnel, at 859-936-8512.

Sounds to me like they won't take em either.

It is up to the Board of each Independent School as to what their rules will be reguarding out of district students. Danville, from what I have also heard, closed it's doors to anyone living outside the city limits. My guess is if some "rental property" were available something could be worked out. Not saying this has happened any where before. :sssh:

Not according to the individuals I was talking to.

What about the kid that played football this year, his dad drove him back and forth to Boyle County from Columbia or at least that is how I understood it from the beginning of the season. He was not a resident of Boyle County...?

No, the Danville people were telling me that they can't even pay tuition.

OK, I'll take your's and their word for it.

This is copied DIRECTLY from Danville Independent's website!

Out of District Students

We welcome out of district students under admission guidelines. If you are interested in attending the Danville Schools but live out of the district's boundaries, contact Mr. Chuck Stallard, Director of Pupil Personnel, at 859-936-8512.

Sounds to me like they won't take em either.

The Danville people said that if you don't have an "academic custodian" who lives within the district then you can't just pay tuition to attend Danville.

Maybe if call Mr. Stallard that is what he would tell you. :D