Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

98NCCalum

"I believe most private schools and independent schools do have somewhat of an advantage of a school that is simply public. But that being said, I do not feel in our state that it should be seperated."

Why not?!? It would be the ONLY was to create a level playing field for ALL.

Is it so important to have ONE champion that we ignore and allow to continue the competitive advantages of some programs??

:sssh: :confused:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say...

I was strictly playing "devil's advocate" on my last post...

Though his intent was different, it seems to me 98NCCalum posts lead exactly to what he said he didn't want - seperate classifications for "advantaged" schools...

:sssh:

Originally posted by SportsGuy41017

There are ALWAYS going to be advantages at some schools and not others, either in sports or academics. Just as Beechwood built their program 20 years ago and Boyle Co. the past 10 there will be other schools that will do the same. No need to water down an already watered down system.

Good post Sportsguy. I think you hit the nail on the head with the statement that some schools wil always have an advantage over others. You can't make a level playing field by seperating public or private or even independent. Once you do that people will still cry that their program still isn't winning the state title and they want to change something else until their program does win state.

Originally posted by oneijoe

Just wanted to say...

I was strictly playing "devil's advocate" on my last post...

Though his intent was different, it seems to me 98NCCalum posts lead exactly to what he said he didn't want - seperate classifications for "advantaged" schools...

:sssh:

No, my point was to all of you out there, saying there should be seperate classes if you make a class for Private school's you should also include or also make a class for independent schools?

Sounds to me like NCCalum is looking for a way to avoid Danville next year.

You make it sound like Boyle and Danville are full of students from all areas of the state. Boyle has 1 player that I know of that transferred in and Danville has a transfer as well. I think you could find the other 98% of them listed on rosters from the Danville/Boyle recreation league and middle school league teams from the past several years.

Danville and Boyle are champions year in and year out due to two things.

Hard work.

Great coaching.

Originally posted by bball

You make it sound like Boyle and Danville are full of students from all areas of the state. Boyle has 1 player that I know of that transferred in and Danville has a transfer as well. I think you could find the other 98% of them listed on rosters from the Danville/Boyle recreation league and middle school league teams from the past several years.

Danville and Boyle are champions year in and year out due to two things.

Hard work.

Great coaching.

This has very little to do with singling out Boyle and Danville.

Originally posted by bball

Now that's a good one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that's not what I was saying, in fact I never even brought Danville up except for listing them as an independent district, so, not eve close, read on pal.

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Independent schools still get money from the state do they not?

Just like your "so called" public schools or County Schools, Independent Schools draw their money from state and federal taxes.

As a matter of fact all "public" school employees, including independent systems are considered State Employees with the same benefits, retirement, ect......

The ONLY thing that INDEPENDENT means is that the school system is seperate from the county system in which they would other wise be a part of. EX: Boyd County/Ashland Independent and Fairview Independent, Greenup County/Russell Independent and Raceland Independent, Pike County/Pikeville Independent.

As far as your question at the top of this post. Money will only follow a student across district lines if there is a reciprocal agreement between the systems. In other words the student can live in another district but their money from the state will follow them to the other district. This is true with both County and Independent Districts there is NO difference! There is one exception that I can think of Busses CAN NOT cross district lines to transport out-of-district students to a school.

Out-of-state students WILL always be required to pay tuition since States are not going to swap money back and forth for public education.

Originally posted by onetoya

Just like your "so called" public schools or County Schools, Independent Schools draw their money from state and federal taxes.

As a matter of fact all "public" school employees, including independent systems are considered State Employees with the same benefits, retirement, ect......

The ONLY thing that INDEPENDENT means is that the school system is seperate from the county system in which they would other wise be a part of. EX: Boyd County/Ashland Independent and Fairview Independent, Greenup County/Russell Independent and Raceland Independent, Pike County/Pikeville Independent.

As far as your question at the top of this post. Money will only follow a student across district lines if there is a reciprocal agreement between the systems. In other words the student can live in another district but their money from the state will follow them to the other district. This is true with both County and Independent Districts there is NO difference! There is one exception that I can think of Busses CAN NOT cross district lines to transport out-of-district students to a school.

Out-of-state students WILL always be required to pay tuition since States are not going to swap money back and forth for public education.

Right, so the argument that Independent schools would not be able to function without charging a ton of moeny to out of district students does not hold water, correct?