Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

Featured Replies

Bottom Line.

If you live in Edgewood and want to go to Holmes High School (Covington Independent) and take part in the International Baccalaurate program, you must pay tuition. If you decide to do it after participating in a varsity sport at say Dixie, you will be ruled ineligible.

Has to be a bonafide change of address.

If you live in Bromley you have to go to Kenton County schools. Unless you want to pay tuition to attend Ludlow which is clser to Bromley than Dixie.

If you live in Covington, I believe you can go across the river to NCC if you like. No questions asked. If you live on Church Street, across from Holy Cross High School, you can go to Covington Catholic if you like. You can pass up 2 or 3 parochial schools and play sports. Once you pla a varsity sport then hands are off.

Catholic schools are at more of a leeway in acquiring kids from more distant geographical areas than public schools.

I can buy the argument of a private school and public school championships. However, it will likely never happen, because frankl there are not as many schools in KY compared to Ohio et al.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 3wishes

I challenge you to find the quote where I stated I thought he should be ineligible? I did not do it. :rolleyes:

 

"Surely someone that lives that far off from another county, cannot play a sport in that county, or even go to school there, can they."

 

 

Call it what you will. You may not have used the exact terminology "he should be ineligible". But your inference is rather obvious in the above quote.

 

You were wrong in that quote anyway, as he does live in the county. Just another case of you using bad information, in an effort to try to stir something up that is a non-issue.

 

 

And another thing, you need to re-re-read what you re-read, because you are still not comprehending.

 

you stated in this very thread, just a couple of days ago, AFTER It had been pointed out to you TWICE, that his dad does not drive from Columbia to Boyle to work. He lives in Boyle and drives to Columbia to work and returns to Boyle. It may all seem like meaningless semantics, but the order you put it in is important. Otherwise, when you state:

 

"And what I said was true, his dad does drive back and forth from Columbia to Boyle as I re-read, so I was right."

 

you, purposely I might add, continue to make it look as if the family lives in Columbia, and the dad drives to Boyle to work and the kid drives to Boyle for school by continually stating they drive from Columbia to Boyle instead of putting in the correct order the dad drives from Boyle to Columbia to work.

 

Here's what it boils down to. The kid lives in Boyle County, the kid plays at Boyle County, the dad lives in Boyle County, the dad works an hour away, like many other parents do. End of story. Non-issue.

 

you can TTT this one until the cows come home and you'll not get another response from me on this issue. It's clear cut and plain as day, and you were right about one thing, I did waste my time typing that first response to you. I have now wasted more of my time responding to you again. I won't do it a 3rd time.

Originally posted by westsider

There is no denying that independent schools have some advantages over schools in the county systems, but not necessarily for the reasons some are stressing here.

 

Independent schools are different animals than county schools. Because they are confined to a smaller geographic area, there is often more of a sense of community.

 

The demographics are also very different. Most county schools are generally the same demographically. Here's an example ... take Whitley County, Boyle County and Mercer County ... from a demographic standpoint (among socio-ethnic lines) they're not much different.

 

But within those counties, the independent systems vary wildly ... Corbin is definitely cut from a different cloth than Danville and Harrodsburg.

 

As a general rule, independent schools are generally more diverse racially and often have bigger numbers of upper-middle and upper income families. In turn, those systems are sometimes better-funded and therefore have better facilities.

 

Much of the reason for the independents' success is tradition. There was a time in this state when the majority of football programs in Kentucky hailed from independent schools. Very few county school districts sponsored football teams, then joined the fray only after consolidation became rampant in the 1960s and 1970s.

 

In 1990, after Russellville won the Class A title, I remember that their coach, Kenny Barrett, was asked why the Panthers' program stayed strong. His answer was tradition, that he had players whose fathers and grandfathers played for Russellville, and that tradition was passed down from one generation to the next.

 

County schools, many of whom have been playing football for only 30 years or so, or even less, are only now starting to get those second-generation players and establishing some tradition within their programs.

 

There are so many factors here that could be elaborated upon, but we don't have the time to discuss them all. I think independent schools have some advantages over county schools, but I wouldn't put those advantages in the same ballpark as those enjoyed by private schools.

 

 

 

That sums it up extremely well.

 

Wow, I'm an all-stater now.

Originally posted by BluegrassFootballFan

 

Here's what it boils down to. The kid lives in Boyle County, the kid plays at Boyle County, the dad lives in Boyle County, the dad works an hour away, like many other parents do. End of story. Non-issue.

 

 

Well that is fine, the kid should be eligible I had just never heard it put that way before. I never even questioned it to begin with, other than the 6 months prior to the season when everything was a mere foggy image.

 

Originally posted by BluegrassFootballFan

"Surely someone that lives that far off from another county, cannot play a sport in that county, or even go to school there, can they."

 

 

Call it what you will. You may not have used the exact terminology "he should be ineligible". But your inference is rather obvious in the above quote.

 

 

The last time I checked, this board is here to offer insight and information. I ahd no idea what the issue was then, THAT THREAD WAS BACK IN JANAURY OF 2003 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. You are the one trying to make something of it. I may not have used correct punctuation, but can you not clearly see where I was ASKING the question. Nothing is obvious in the quote above except I was just trying to grasp what was happening back in January, almost 6 months before the season starts.

First off, Independent schools are public schools. They are called independent because they are not a part of the county school system. They are usually for a particular city; i.e Beechwood=Ft Mitchell, Highland=Ft Thomas. In No. Ky you have as many independent schools as county schools. And of the seven independents I can think of, (Holmes, Ludlow, Beechwood, Newport, Dayton, Bellevue and Highlands) only two are perennial football powers.

 

I think what you're seeing is the wealthier school districts seem to be on top every year!:irked:

  • Author
Originally posted by HHSDad

I think what you're seeing is the wealthier school districts seem to be on top every year!:irked:

Only in NKY.
  • Author

Bringing it back up from last year, same argument.

Bringing it back up from last year, same argument.

It's still a bad argument even a year later.

Better yet..let's separate the state into two classes...winners and losers. Any school that has won a state title in the past 20 years go into one class, those who have never won anything go into another. Isn't this really what this arguement breaks down to anyway?

 

At last the perfect answer. The HAVE's compete for their title and the HAVE-NOT'S compete for theirs. This is what they're all cryin about anyway.

 

You go Scribe Baby! Why didn't I think of this! :ylsuper:

The KHSAA just needs to start handing out participation medals to make everyone happy.

Bringing it back up from last year, same argument.

 

Darn! I hadn't noticed the post dates until I read this. I was about to say "welcome back" to 3Wishes.

Bringing it back up from last year, same argument.

Wow! You would think after fermenting all this time; the argument would have gained some strength. But it's still ".0001 Proof." :lol:

 

 

No not really. Why when someone disagrees with you, do they not know what they are talking about? Even if they're right?
Which, in this case, you don't...and you're not. :rolleyes:

 

I think this thread was more about ruffling feathers than any kind of argument based in fact.

Public and Independant schools are the same. They may both except students from outside their district and charge tuition.

 

The only advantage is as stated by another poster is that the communities are usually close knit.

NCCAlum: How exactly can a school charge little or no tuition for an out of district kid and still pay the bills?

It is tough, but they get by!

I graduated from an Independent School, and the only advantage I can see is that we are prettier ;):p

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.