Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

Featured Replies

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Right, so the argument that Independent schools would not be able to function without charging a ton of moeny to out of district students does not hold water, correct?

 

If there is no agreement the school system is crazy if they do not charge the amount of money they would receive from the State for that child.

 

I'll look for some information on tuition rates at Ashland, but I'm pretty sure its not exactly cheap;)

  • Replies 108
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so confused! Do independent school systems receive any tax money?:confused:

Do you even listen to what you post? You did not say TONS of money. First you said "and do not have to charge tuition, although most do, but very little bit." Where did you research this? Where are your facts to back this up?

 

"there are a lot of "public" schools out there that take kids, charge them very little, and they do not live in that district." Again, Where are your facts to back this up?

 

Then after I point out you are wrong with one example (Beechwood), t you then backtrack on your original statement and say "Beechwood may be but for the most part public, or independent schools charge way way way way way less than there Private couterparts." Did you actually LOOK this stuff up or are you just guessing? or is someone else going to have to do the research for you? AGAIN.

 

LOL, how many people have to come in this thread to point out flaws in your post before you stop and realize?

Originally posted by rockmom

I am so confused! Do independent school systems receive any tax money?:confused:

 

Yes they do, but here is an Example, if a Kenton County student who would have gone to Dixie Heights wants to attend Beechwood and Kenton Co. will not release him, then Beechwood would not get the tax money for that student, so the schools must charge them, and a school like Beechwood the tuition is not cheap. Also, not all parts of Ft.Mitchell are in the Beechwood school district.

 

I hope that cleared you up at least a little.:D

If I'm not mistaken the tuition for Mayfield is 600.00 a year. There really is no difference between Independent and Public. They both get State money and Federal money. It’s just that they are independent from the county schools. I think most independent systems are city schools. I may be totally wrong on that last statement. If I am I apologize.

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Right, so the argument that Independent schools would not be able to function without charging a ton of moeny to out of district students does not hold water, correct?

 

Wrong.

 

Many (if not most) school districts will not release the state money they get for a student to another district. Therefore the district where the student goes has to charge the full amount to educate that child because they are getting no state funding.

 

What district in the state charges little or nothing for out of district kids?

There are certainly some other "Independent" schools that did not have success.

 

Williamsburg Ind. (although they did make the playoffs)

Harlan Ind.

Pineville Ind.

 

Those are just three I can think of, I think when tackling an issue like this, you need to look at the total picture.

Originally posted by onetoya

If there is no agreement the school system is crazy if they do not charge the amount of money they would receive from the State for that child.

 

 

 

Now, here is a poster that has it figured out!

All Danville did was close there kids down from transfering out of there disrtict. Any school has this right and for Danville is the only way for them to stay afloat. Because Danville would not let any kids go to the Boyle Co. schools, Boyle intern did the same thing to Danville. So now anyone you have to do to the school system where you are districted.

 

Everyone makes it sound as though someone can just pick and go to whatever school they want. Aren't there rules that once you have started high school you have to be released to be eligible to play ball. The only real time that you can come and go as you please is before the 9th grade. I just assumed this goes for all public schools, county or independent.

Originally posted by 3wishes

What about the kid that played football this year, his dad drove him back and forth to Boyle County from Columbia or at least that is how I understood it from the beginning of the season. He was not a resident of Boyle County...?

 

 

 

OK, I'll take your's and their word for it.

 

3W, you are a moderator on this site. Your open disdain for all things Boyle is very much common knowledge on here. But this takes the cake. I would think a moderator spreading info that he knows to be false would be a major no-no. I remember the thread you are pulling this from. You remember it too, because you commented in it. Greg Pecks family lives IN BOYLE COUNTY. His father drives from Danville to Columbia to work and returns home to BOYLE COUNTY after work. YOU KNEW THIS, because you stated in this thread that you thought Peck should be ineligible at Boyle because his father drove too many miles from Boyle to work every day.

 

This is nothing new for people in any community.

 

How many people work in Frankfort for the state every single day, yet drive there from Fayette, Lincoln, Boyle, Bourbon, Anderson, Mercer, Woodford, Shelby, Scott, and yep you guessed it, even Rockcastle Counites ??? Literally thousands. People commuting to another community for work is very very common place. How many Jessamine or Madison County parents commute to Fayette County to work every day?

 

Toyota employs 10,000 people in Scott County. Do you realize how far people drive to work there. I know of some who drive from Pulaski County.

 

Thousands of people in Lincoln County, many parents of Athletes, work in Boyle County, yet live in Lincoln, have kids go to Lincoln. Thousands of people in Mercer County, many parents of athletes, work in Boyle County, yet live in Mercer, have kids go to Mercer or Harrodsburg.

 

There are no rules whatsoever that say a kids parents must also work within the school district boundries also.

 

You may want to view this link it shows that 31% of Kentucky's 1.7 million workers (thats 500,000) work in a County in which they do not live.

 

This Link shows that 48.5% of Rockcastle Countians work outside of Rockcastle County. Let's hope none are the parents of athletes.

 

This link shows that 48% of the total workforce in Boyle County commutes in from outside the County everyday, while 28% of Boyle Counitians travel to other counties.

 

You trying to make a deal out of ONE BOYLE player's father working in another County is laughable.

BGFF,

as always, nice post.

You wasted a lot of time typing that BGFF because I'll admit when I'm wrong. I didn't do it on purpose, I really thought that was the argument. Without even looking at the links you posted I can also admit that it has been a long time ago that, that thread was even popular, say around preseason?

I know a lot of people drive out of county and all mine do and I even drove out of district. I have no problem with that anyway, I just thought or had the impression right now that they drove from Columbia. MY BAD. You cannot say that I hate Boyle County, I respect Boyle County as everyone should, end of story. I would like to think that being a MOD has nothing to do with this conversation anyway. It sounds to me like you have a CHIP on your shoulder. I will say it was my bad, I did post false info. on here but it was a misunderstanding, can you handle that?:confused:

I was not making a BIG DEAL out this, only using it as example that I thought was happening, if I wanted to make a big deal about I would've started a new thread on the subject, but to be honest the thought hadn't even been in my mind till all this Danville/Boyle redistricting thing came about. As a matter of fact I was trying to support the Danville school system.

Originally posted by BluegrassFootballFan

YOU KNEW THIS, because you stated in this thread that you thought Peck should be ineligible at Boyle because his father drove too many miles from Boyle to work every day.

 

 

I challenge you to find the quote where I stated I thought he should be ineligible? I did not do it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BluegrassFootballFan

 

This Link shows that 48.5% of Rockcastle Countians work outside of Rockcastle County. Let's hope none are the parents of athletes.

 

 

Of course they all drive outside the county I never doubted that especially since there are about 10 business's in all of Mt. Vernon.

Either way that doesn't matter. I'm still waiting on a reply back from you where I said he shouldn't be eligible...

Originally posted by 3wishes

What about the kid that played football this year, his dad drove him back and forth to Boyle County from Columbia or at least that is how I understood it from the beginning of the season. He was not a resident of Boyle County...?

 

 

 

 

Also can you see in the post you are referring to that I was not sure, hence the question mark(?):rolleyes: And what I said was true, his dad does drive back and forth from Columbia to Boyle as I re-read, so I was right. The only part I wasn't sure about was if he was a resident, once again, hence the question mark(?):cool:

Sorry that last post took so much time to search and investigate for accusations that were not true on me:irked:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.