Everything posted by Pirate Pal
-
Prestonsburg 28 Belfry 21
I have to disagree with you my friend.. I don't think that the Belfry players had those kind of thoughts going into this game. I think that winning, as much as they are used to, built up their confidence a little, but you have to stop and think too, how hard and unsettling it had to be for such a young team as Belfry is right now, to start the season with such a big rivalry, knowing that P-burg, (and just about everyone else) wants to beat the Pirates more than any other team. I mean, Belfry lost more seniors that started in key positions last year than they had lost in several seasons. That has to knock the cockiness level down a peg or 2. For some reason, I didn't feel the intensity in this game between the two teams that is normally there. Congratulations to the Blackcats on their win. I know that Coach Haywood will have a lot of the errors corrected and the Pirates will improve with each and every game. With age comes wisdom and that is what this young group of Pirates will need (along with patience and support from the Pirate Nation)
-
Belfry 42 Russell 0
Great Job by the entire Belfry TEAM!!! The linemen for the Pirates are amazing! Can't say enough about the group of men that Haywood coaches, or about Haywood and his entire staff. This is the reason that everyone always says..."Once a Pirate..Always a Pirate" :dancingpa
-
Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13
And I you!!!!
-
Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13
AWW shucks..thanks Watusi.
-
Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13
Belfry always brings a big crowd to everygame...heck, half of the time we outnumber the home team's crowd. I know that the visitor side bleachers were filled to capacity and there were a hundred or more standing around the track.
-
Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13
I also have to add that Belfry's linemen are fantastic!!! They are the heart of this team!!! The tandum of Casey Whetstone and Corey Coleman are deadly...as well as every one of the young MEN who are standing shoulder to shoulder with them, play after play, opening the holes for the backs to get their glory....without them no one gets anywhere. MY hats off to the linemen...the ones who grind it out in the trenches with very little recognition:fight::ylsuper:
-
Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13
Shew..I haven't gotten to post on here in about a year...but here it goes....LOL First, let me congratulate Coach Haywood and the Belfry Pirates on one of the most exciting games I have seen this year. The boys..let me change that..young MEN on this team NEVER gave up for one minute during this game. They didn't let anything get to them and they kept their emotions in check..a very mature and impressive team!!! Secondly, Johnson Central was ready and fought tooth and nail with the Pirates...They are a very physical team with a lot of talent and I wish them nothing but the best in the playoffs!! I know there will be a lot of what if's and if only's for many years to come about this game...the 2 point conversion will be the talk around the breakfast table as to whether that was the dumbest call ever made or whether you would have done the same thing in that position. I'm glad I don't have to discuss something like that since Haywood's call of a fake punt worked...:thumb: (If it hadn't, Belfry fans would have been having the same discussions that I'm sure JC fans are having) I have to say that Belfry fans were definitely back in the game as the 12th man on the field tonight....I love ballgames that bring out every emotion possible with one turn of events!!
-
Pike County Bowl 2007 who is going?
You are correct..Central Appalachian Mining
-
Pike County Bowl 2007 who is going?
I will be there along with my rowdy crew!! :dancingpa
-
2007 Belfry
Well, it has been forever since I had the opportunity to grace the good page of BGP!! Nice to be back in time for football season :thumb: I agree with a lot of your statements Cam, but I think that there is more potential in key areas than you state. From info passed on to me from the Boyd County scrimmage, Belfry's offense looked in pretty good form even with the lack of a true speedster. Size is the biggest factor in the backfield with May, Lee, & Dotson coming at you full force. If the line can make some openings then they will get 5 to 6 yards almost every carry. As far as Elkins goes for QB. I was highly impressed with this kid last year. He came in as starting Qb in the 4th game of the season, without expecting to do so, and carried himself and the team pretty far. As a sophomore last year, I don't think anyone could have done any better. As a junior, he should be more settled and relaxed in the pocket. I have heard his fakes compared to that of Dwayne Fransico's. Pretty good company there if you ask me. You mentioned Elkins looking tired and weak in the Pikeville game last year. If my aging memory serves me correct, there were a lot of arguable late hits all night that game and I'm sure after taking as many shots as he did that night, anyone would look a little tired. I would like to go back and look at that tape just to refresh my memory. There will be a lot of new faces in the secondary this year, so I can honestly say what strong or weak points we may have there until after the first game or after the scrimmage this Friday.
-
Belfry 45 Shelby Valley 0
Congratulations Pirates!!! Let's have CAM rocking with Red next Friday!!!!!
-
Prestonsburg 35 Sheldon Clark 6
OH YEAH...THE "B" Factor (although it let us down last year) Great win for the Blackcats and I can't wait for the usual matchup between the 2 programs.
-
Who will win class 2a with Breathitt out.
Let me say this...for the past 4 years, I have read numerous posts about what 1 team in 2A will take it all and is unbeatable and then that team plays a really good team and is beaten and everyone starts saying "I guess they hadn't played a hard team". I'm not saying the Mercer isn't a very good team or that won't be in the State Championship this year. What I am saying is that the one team that everyone has hyped all year long, hasn't won or even been in the State Championship the past 4 years.
-
Belfry vs. Sheldon Clark
Belfry should come away with the win. They are executing very well right now and finding ways to come up with some big plays. Let's go Pirates!!!
-
Interesting Belfry Stat
I'm sure that you would have enjoyed your trip to Vipperman in 2004 if the outcome of the game would have been different.. That is very interesting stats for Belfry. I liked them.
-
More on Matewan, WV coach's quest for a record
You have no idea how close to the truth that last sentence is. This guy is just morally unjust in all aspects of life. If you live anywhere close to this area, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Let me say that I would NEVER have him anywhere near my 3 daughters on any occasion, much less, allow a child of mine to be taught by him or play for him.
-
Belfry 42 Prestonsburg 10
Great Job tonight Pirates!!! Everything is coming together at just the right time for Belfry. It is another Haywood team, with a little passing thrown in.. Pburg needs to keep their heads up and focus on the remainder of the season. I didn't think the atmosphere was there for a Belfry/Pburg game, but that is just my opinion. As far as the TD pass by the Blackcats in the 4th, I really didin't think it was unsportsmanlike by Derrossett at all. I mean, we had the option to leave our 1st stringers in and defend the TD, but it was a good lesson for our JV. P-burg hadn't scored all night, had the opportunity in the 4th and went for it...isn't that the nature of the game?
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
OK..the post made by an actual player, on the field, giving credit to the opposing team and pretty much saying that players from both sides of the ball was out of hand is probably the best post on this entire thread. He didn't point fingers or make excuses for anything. Classy post G! Too bad some can't realize how good it is due to their inablility to be mature enough to admit it.
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
Nor should you. I know that you could care less how much or how little my respect for your football program means to you and vice versa, but as we all know, your reputation precedes you, and as long as the Pikeville coaching staff allows the actions taken by a player and assistants to go on like it did last night, it is only going to be downhill for the Panthers. As for fans, they can't be controlled and every school has their share that are out of hand at times. We are not talking about over the years, we are talking about last night. So please tell me if there was ONE Belfry player that acted in such a poor manner as that ONE Pikeville player did last night? I also know, as do you, that if it were a Belfry player behaving that way, then you would be discussing it on here just as much.
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
No whining..just pure fact..and if it upsets you to hear the truth than I am sorry for hurting your feelings.
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
And this is what makes me so proud to be a Pirate!!!
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
As I said, you can't control the crowd. It is the actions of the coach and how he controls his staff and players that shows the true level of the program.
-
Prestonsburg 20 Sheldon Clark 17
Congratulations P-burg!!!
-
Belfry 24 Pikeville 20
First off, I would like to congratulate our boys for an outstanding showing of class, confidence, determination, composure, and sportsmanship. This is a direct reflection of Coach Haywood and his staff. One of the things that make me so proud to be a Belfry fan, is that no matter what stadium the team plays at, the first thing said by the opposing players, fans, coaching staff, is what a classy group of men Belfry has on their team. Secondly, this was a great game to watch from a fans perspective. Both teams wanted the win badly! However, they both need to improve as the season progresses and quit making elementary mistakes!! I have read comments made regarding the "louder crowd"...this is simple..if you were closer to the Pikeville side of the field, then of course they would appear louder, and vice versa on the Belfry side. I, of course, was on the Belfry side and didn't hear Pikeville at all, then I went to the concession stand and couldn't hear Belfry. The only fair comparison would have to come from the field where both sides would be heard at an equal distance. Now...and I know this isn't going to be well taken by some, but I have to say that I lost so much respect for the Pikeville football program last night that it isn't even funny. One thing that I could attest for over the years is that Pikeville, like Belfry, was a classy, well respected program...BUT all of that changed after watching the Pikeville coaching staff allow a player to act in the most unsportsmanlike manner I have witnessed in any game for the past 3to 4 years. (And if you were standing on top of the bank building, across the street, then there is NO WAY that you could have seen the same player being reprimanded SEVERAL times by the refs and, in fact, the ref looking at the coach and telling him to tell the player to keep his mouth shut) I witnessed it directly in front of me. Then, how would you expect a true coach to teach this same player sportsmanship...if you are the coach from Pikeville, you send him to the sidelines at the end of the game instead of making him be the first in line to shake the opponents hands..ridiculous!! Not only that, but when an assistant coach is turning around with the "players" and trying to taunt the visiting fan section, that was comical in my book. It was disappointing to me to say the least. You can't control the behavior of the fans, but a coach should be able to control his players and assistants. Thanks Coach Haywood for making classy men out of our boys!!
-
Belfry vs Ashland
When did this thread become about Russell and Ashland?????