2007 Belfry

theguru

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with IPapi.

Belfry will need to run basically the same offense, but be a little more aggressive with play action passes, especially one 1st down. The lack of home run speed in the running game will require Belfry to make more big plays out of the passing game.

Breakaway speed definately will be Belfry's Achilles' Heel as already stated. Belfry is going to put together a sound backfield and may very well have the best all around player in 3A in Dustin May.

To ensure success the Pirate's defense will have to continue to play like it did last season.

Big questions to me are:

1. First and Foremost, who will be the backfield? We know May and Lee will probably be in there in a wishbone..but who steps up as the other halfback?

2. Defensive Backfield- The only spot the Pirates are hit by graduation as they lose a pair of 2A's best DB's in Chapman and Epling, as well as Kohari.

3. The Development of Andrew Elkins and his targets- The kid really has potential to become an outstanding QB. He also returns basically every receiving option aside from Epling and Chapman who were HB's. I think that if this kid can really focus on bulking up and Belfry can establish a true SE to throw to they can easily run a Veer Option type of offense like West Virginia University.

4. Expectations of Winning- The Pirates are now two years removed from their state title and the swagger of being a chmapion isn't quite there like it used to be. I think Belfry is a legit top contender for the state title alongside Russell and Louisville Central, but they have to get that swagger back.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the great games comment.

Belfry will now get to play 6 non-district games each year (compared to 4 last year)

This year the have:

Corbin

Pikeville

Shelby Valley

Lawrence County

West Jessamine

Johnson Central

Should be real nice from a fans perspective.