Dating outside your Religion.

The funny thing about my generation in my family:

Oldest Cousin: Married a Catholic now divorced

-Remarried protestant girl, happily married for some years

My Brother: Married the daughter of a Southern Baptist Minister, still married, has 2 daughters and she is now Catholic.

Other cousin: Married a Baptist, he converted and is a more devout Catholic than she is. He did this not at her urging either, but on his own.

Me: Married a Catholic, currently divorced.

I suppose I need to find me a Protestant. :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about my generation in my family:

Oldest Cousin: Married a Catholic now divorced

-Remarried protestant girl, happily married for some years

My Brother: Married the daughter of a Southern Baptist Minister, still married, has 2 daughters and she is now Catholic.

Other cousin: Married a Baptist, he converted and is a more devout Catholic than she is. He did this not at her urging either, but on his own.

Me: Married a Catholic, currently divorced.

I suppose I need to find me a Protestant. :lol:

This just proves that Protestant women are more compliant. :D

Like HHSDad, I don't consider members of other denominations to be "outside" of my faith. However, I don't think it's something to be taken lightly, as these differences could easily cause tension in a relationship. Obviously, we've been on the Protestant/Catholic thing and the differences between the two are pronounced...I think a marriage between people of these two groups would require some understanding and compromise. It's not limited to Protestant/Catholic...even within the Protestant umbrella, I think you get into some of these issues with different beliefs, etc. If the marriage only contains the husband and wife, then these differences could probably be resolved rather easily. Both sides could just continue with their respective churches if they wished...it's when children come into the equation, IMO, that things could get really tense.

Coincidentally after all the discussion this week, I had a long discussion with a sister in law this weekend that I had not seen in over a year. She spent a couple of hours (without prompting from me) explaining why she had converted to Catholicism a couple of years ago. I'd like to say it was informative, but she was a couple of margaritas over the line at the time.

Doc, and others...never read posts when eating riblets. I almost choked with the "Big But" comment. She was very cute. Momma doesn't read posts on here unless I show her something.

PepRock, check out Big Church.com its a Christian based dating service. I had a brother-in-law who got divorced and met some nice girls on there. "Nice Girls" ZZ TOP?

RockMom, if we dated we would had a blast. We have great "Potlucks" at church.

Which scared you the "big but" or the fact that we tend to think along the same line?
"C" - All the above.

BUTT, actually "B", the fact that we tend to think along the same line. :eek:

I mean really... :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In my family-grandmother & grandfather on dad's side Methodist;

grandmother & grandfather on mom's side Baptist both had long happy

marriages;

Mom(Methodist) married Dad(Methodist) brought up children in Methodist church; 1 brother(Methodist) married girl who is Baptist he is now Baptist; 1 brother(Methodist) married a girl who didn't go to church-they divorced after 10 years of marriage then he married Baptist girl now they go to a Methodist church; sister(Methodist) married my brother in law(Methodist) going on 28 years of wedded bliss---me, well never married-I think marriage is a wonderful institution I just never wanted to be institutionalized. However I have dated guys who were Jewish, Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Greek Orthodox, Nazarene & Presbyterian. But common sense tells me marriage would be easier if I married someone of the Methodist faith since that is where I go to church. I also realize that common sense goes out the window when you fall in love. I've always looked at marriage this way--do I love that person enough that if they became paralyzed from the neck down would I take care of them.

Girl...nice post. For years I went to church with my two little boys while their Mom stayed away. The boys would be down stairs in "Children's Church" and I either sat with friends or all by myself (Eric Carman) (what group was he with?). Boy, I hated that. Seeing families together, going to church activities, walking out without my wife, people asking about her. She wanted no part, and told me she was a "nonbeliever". 2nd Corinthians 6.

I still sit church today by myself, anyone know why?

Y'all are causing me some ponderous thought....

My grandmother (Catholic), married my grandfather (Baptist), and they were married over 50 years.

My mother (Catholic), married my father (Doesn't believe in organized religion), and they've been married 42 years.

I (Catholic), married a Catholic, and was divorced after 4 1/2 years.

A man I work with is Jewish, married to a Catholic, for over 10 years.

It may be (hypothetically) easier to marry within one's own faith, but I submit that there are far more compromises than the practice of faith within a certain denomination that make a marriage last.

Very serious and honest question RM, what is the Catholic churches view of a Catholic marrying someone that is another Christian denomination? Do they recognize that marriage? Do they recognize the marriage to a non-Christian?

Yesterday, Mom (Catholic) and Dad (Baptist) celebrated 56 years of marriage. My grandfather (Dad's side) was a Baptist preacher and as far as he was concerned, Mom was the best thing since sliced bread. Dad thinks she's OK, too. ;)

Very serious and honest question RM, what is the Catholic churches view of a Catholic marrying someone that is another Christian denomination? Do they recognize that marriage? Do they recognize the marriage to a non-Christian?

Not RM but yes to all.

Not RM but yes to all.

I was curious because my sisterinlaw was married to a non-Catholic. They divorced and then he died. She later on began to take the courses to become Catholic.

She said in discussing the marriage, they did not consider her divorced because her husband had died even though they had divorced before he died. I asked her to explain that view of it and she had no clue.

It had always confused me.

If you divorce as a Catholic, can you remarry in a Catholic ceremony or do you have to get the Churches permission.

I know at my church, if you are living with someone and come to the church to get married, they willl ask you to separate out of your present living conditions for a certain period of time before they will allow you to use the church. Might hurt someone's feelings but they feel it is more in line with the way Jesus would view marriage than living together before then.