Dunn's Contract Situation

Okay, here is the deal, I want to give you the specifics of his contract and you tell me (us) A: what they should do, and B: what they will do.

This is the final year of his contract. The Reds have an option for next year at $13 million or can offer him a buyout for $500,000. Keep in mind that Milton's $9 million is off the books after this year and Junior is off after next year. Further keep in mind that Carlos Lee just signed a 7 year, $100 million deal in Houston.

So should the Reds ride out this year, use their option, and play it by ear next season? Or...

Should the Reds use the buy-out at the end of the year and thank him for his 200+ home runs. Or...

Should the Reds trade him this season. Or...

Should the Reds try and negotiate a long-term deal for him this year and hope that he continues to improve as he enters his prime (27-30). That deal would probably be very similar to Carlos Lee's (either from the Reds or from someone else).

Your call!! What SHOULD they do and what WILL they do.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What they should do is buy out his contract and sign him to a long term contract.

What they will do is exercise the option and then negotiate a long term deal. With Griffey not getting younger and all the injury problems, they need Dunn's stick in the line up.

Either way, I hope they are able to hang on to him.

Dunn is a darn good player, but he isn't worth 13 million a year. Maybe they could lock him up with a 5 year deal worth 40 or something. Make the contract incentive based.

Dunn is a darn good player, but he isn't worth 13 million a year. Maybe they could lock him up with a 5 year deal worth 40 or something. Make the contract incentive based.

You realize he is making over $10 million this year...right? He isn't signing a long-term deal for a penny less than (IMHO) $13 million per. In this park, he knows he has it good...I'm sure he is open to the idea of a long-term deal.

They don't have to buy him out of the current deal, they can simply sign an extension that would start at the end of this year.

You realize he is making over $10 million this year...right? He isn't signing a long-term deal for a penny less than (IMHO) $13 million per. In this park, he knows he has it good...I'm sure he is open to the idea of a long-term deal.

They don't have to buy him out of the current deal, they can simply sign an extension that would start at the end of this year.

Alright, my answer was el crappola, I admit that. lol

I didn't realize he was already over 10. Well I guess keep him at 10. I can't see the Reds paying him upwards of 15.

I didn't realize he was already over 10. Well I guess keep him at 10. I can't see the Reds paying him upwards of 15.

Okay...so you're saying trade him mid-year or letting him walk in October with $500,000 in his pocket? If he is here next year it is at $13 million...that price is a team option already in the contract.

Okay...so you're saying trade him mid-year or letting him walk in October with $500,000 in his pocket? If he is here next year it is at $13 million...that price is a team option already in the contract.

I would want to keep him, but I can't imagine the Reds offering him 15 million. Keep him at his current 10 million or whatever he is at now.

I think he likes our park and our new hitting coach... if it was last year before the Lopez/Kearns trade or if people like Bruce were ready for the big time than I might say maybe look into what you might get in a trade but right now we need his offense and actually (cross your fingers) he has looked good so far this season...

Sign him to a long term contract. Show the city and fans and the rest of baseball that you're doing something for the future as well as the right here and now.

As you said, he's coming in to his prime, give him 13-15 per year now. You can always trade him later.

Well, with the hope that we have graduated the "Leatherpants/Milton" program, I'd seriously give some thought to extending him at about 13/14 mil per depending on length of contract. I have had the position all along that the only thing I'd get rid of Dunner for is a #1 type starter. And since that never seems to be a possibility, why would you not want to extend him? After watching every pitch of the Az game last night, I don't see any problem with getting somewhat younger overall.

Should the Reds try and negotiate a long-term deal for him this year and hope that he continues to improve as he enters his prime (27-30). That deal would probably be very similar to Carlos Lee's (either from the Reds or from someone else).
This is what they should do. And what I think they will do. I think trading away Autsin and Felipe last year showed that Dunn was the centerpiece to the offense and he will be the Reds LF for years to come.