KHSAA meeting: Running clock change

26 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I guess to eliminate teams going for two to get to 36.

Yeah, I always thought was a bad look.   But I can see the other side too:   put the opponenet out of its misery.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I guess to eliminate teams going for two to get to 36.

I wonder how many teams get to a clean 34 points with no misses, especially late in the year.  In other words, we will still see some two point conversion attempts to get it to 35. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

I wonder how many teams get to a clean 34 points with no misses, especially late in the year.  In other words, we will still see some two point conversion attempts to get it to 35. 

Yes, but probably less than before to get to 36. And, as a person on the wrong side of a blow out in multiple sports, I think the "unsportsmanlike" taste of a 2-point conversion is diminished when you know the other side has missed an extra point. May just be me though.

• Like 4

Clarification update:

Football running clock like it is now can happen anytime during the game when the threshold is met.

Soccer also like it is today still needs to complete the first half in full before implementing the Mercy rule.

Still hoping they touch on Basketball in the next quarters meeting to eliminate 105-6 results.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Clarification update:

Football running clock like it is now can happen anytime during the game when the threshold is met.

Soccer also like it is today still needs to complete the first half in full before implementing the Mercy rule.

Still hoping they touch on Basketball in the next quarters meeting to eliminate 105-6 results.

What game ended with a 105-6 score???

It’s long overdue in football. Very few coaches want to have to go for two to obtain the running clock. Being on the wrong side of games that would’ve had the running clock if it was a rule back then, I’m all for speeding the game up if it’s going to be a route.

• Like 1

Nice article here on the topic by Zack Klemme, who was Sports Editor in both Maysville and Ashland. He dug up a quote from me that went back to 2013, and I was quoting Coach Bear Bryant. It was true when Bear said it, true in 2013, and still true today!

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/zack-klemme-khsaa-makes-a-good-point-in-making-mercy-rule-margin-35/article_d295090c-b005-56b0-89c0-26e43056af62.html

Lowered it to 30 points here in Tennessee (has to be 2nd half) last season but IMO 28 would be enough. Curious on how many teams have won after falling behind by 28? The thing I like about the Kentucky rule is that once the running clock is engaged it remains. Here if the trailing team cuts the margin to less than 30, the clock goes back to original procedure. 

• Like 1

Ohio rule:

In the second half of all contests, 
anytime the score differential reaches 30 points or more, a running clock will be used. This is mandatory by regulation. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time or the game terminated.

• Like 2

Going back to 1992, biggest comebacks.....

1995 Paris, down to Western Hills 19-0 in 4th, won, 20-19

2004 Mason, down to Montgomery 27-9 in 2nd, won, 37-33

2012 Mason, down to Russell (in Flatwoods) 28-10 in 4th, won 32-28

Those were great wins... but sort of disappointed in 31 seasons, biggest comeback was 19 points down. 

My brain has a way of protecting me from going insane... I have NO IDEA what the biggest lead was that we had and got beat. 

If my brain could get rid of the 2002 losses to the Red Devils, 12-7 at Flatwoods & the Region Finals at Putnam, Red Devils 11-8 that would be great... but no luck.  That dang Ivan McGlone and Garry Morris, went from heavy 5-2 personnel to 3-4 guys that could run from the 2001 to 2002 season. Wish they had kept the big slow guys, one more season. That was an excellent defense.  Ivan and Garry... two of the finest men and coaches you would ever meet. Our trips to Flatwoods.... favorite of all, even when we got our hearts broke. Great games. 

If I can hang in there long enough, will try to take the Bearcats to Flatwoods for at least one Friday night in late October. 

While I am at it, shout out to @theguru for 20 plus years of BGPreps. Quality and consistency... pretty dang good.  I would be his favorite football coach if I could just suck up more. 😎

• Like 2