Pikeville 94 East Ridge 9

33 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Especially with a running clock. You can keep that from happening.

I'd have to know the circumstances before I passed judgment. You can try to run the score up and get this result, and you can also try not to run it up and still get this result. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Sure it does. Why should one team be expected to pull their starters and not the other?

I would say out of good sportsmanship or to let your younger players get playing time.  If I was a parent of a sub who didn't play in a 94-9 game I would be upset.  There is no reason to humiliate high schoolers.  My daughter's first varsity points came in a game where they were blowing out a team and the JV kids got some minutes in the fourth quarter.  That seems to be standard operating procedure for most teams regardless of whether the other team has their starters in or not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sure it does. Why should one team be expected to pull their starters and not the other?

This is one of the few times I am going to disagree with you Deuce.  At some point the strong among us have to show some mercy for the weak among us. 

• Like 3

You're kidding, correct? I would say East Ridge's starters were much weaker than any of their opponents players.

8 minutes ago, theguru said:

This is one of the few times I am going to disagree with you Deuce.  At some point the strong among us have to show some mercy for the weak among us. 

Was involved in a game like this on the JV level one time. Up 26-0 after a quarter. Told young JV coach to go zone, sub his second five in, use first five as subs one at a time, no run-outs, and 15 passes before a shot attempt. Way before the mercy rule. Been on the other side too. Some coaches were great......some just jerks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Man, I'm always in lock-step with you, or nearly always, but if you're up 80-6 (making up a score) and the team with 80 puts in their bottom 5, let the other team leave their starters out there to build confidence.  What are they going to do, cut it to 50?  Come on.

Speaking from my limited perspective as a coach, I had a solid middle school team once upon a time and we got up large on a team and took all our starters out and let significantly weaker kids play, and we should have.  The opposing coach pressed those kids with his starters full court and it was demoralizing to our less advanced kids that they couldn't get past half court.  I let it go on for approximately 5 minutes of game time.  End of the half, I encouraged our kids and started them again in the 3rd, same deal with that coach.  I let it go for one trip, called timeout,  then re-inserted our starting five and pressed their guts out til the final horn.  So perspective is everything.  

I'd like to know the rest of the story.

• Like 4