Mayfield vs. Owensboro Catholic Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Cards vs. Aces  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 2A State Champion Will Be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2023 at 09:00 PM

1 minute ago, Astro Domino said:

In my opinion, the hardest thing to prepare for in football is a dual threat QB, especially one with his size and arm strength. This could be Mayfield’s toughest test yet.

That is my thinking, especially after watching Atwell's highlights. 

I think this game could be a lot like the Beechwood game, both OC and Beechwood have great QBs, but do either of them have enough talent surrounding their QB to beat Mayfield.  We know the answer with Beechwood (and LCA if we want to throw them in) but we don't know yet with Owensboro Catholic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theguru said:

That is my thinking, especially after watching Atwell's highlights. 

I think this game could be a lot like the Beechwood game, both OC and Beechwood have great QBs, but do either of them have enough talent surrounding their QB to beat Mayfield.  We know the answer with Beechwood (and LCA if we want to throw them in) but we don't know yet with Owensboro Catholic. 

I thought Beechwood had the receivers, they made some really good catches and were  fast.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Astro Domino said:

In my opinion, the hardest thing to prepare for in football is a dual threat QB, especially one with his size and arm strength. This could be Mayfield’s toughest test yet.

PT had a pretty good QB that could run but NOT as good as Atwell, Christian County had one that gave Mayfield fits for a minute because he was very athletic and fast...but at the same time don't put Atwell in arms way to much against Mayfield and get him hurt especially early on because Mayfield will hit you and hit you hard...let the chess match begins...

3 minutes ago, DaTruth said:

PT had a pretty good QB that could run but NOT as good as Atwell, Christian County had one that gave Mayfield fits for a minute because he was very athletic and fast...but at the same time don't put Atwell in arms way to much against Mayfield and get him hurt especially early on because Mayfield will hit you and hit you hard...let the chess match begins...

Hold on, jack James is better than atwell. I’ve had to the privilege of training with Jack and Ian Williams. Jack is legit as strong as Ian. He’s fast as crap. If y’all don’t see these kids in the offseason… you won’t understand. Literally, after the may/pt game watch them train together that next morning. They went toe for toe and jack hung in there with Ian. 

38 minutes ago, Mr. Neutral said:

Hold on, jack James is better than atwell. I’ve had to the privilege of training with Jack and Ian Williams. Jack is legit as strong as Ian. He’s fast as crap. If y’all don’t see these kids in the offseason… you won’t understand. Literally, after the may/pt game watch them train together that next morning. They went toe for toe and jack hung in there with Ian. 

Not saying James is not better as a passer but iMO he's not as good of a runner as Atwell and is not ask to run design running plays like Atwell. The Christian County QB also has a different style of running as Atwell and was somewhat effective against Mayfield. Those 2 will help Mayfield game plan against Atwell was my point. MAYFIELD has played against 2 athletic QBs that should help in preparation. We all know what James bring to the table and I am fully aware of his training regime and it was evident in his physique. Total muscle and his running is also what helped PT beat Mayfield. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers...let the discussion continue...again a chess match for both coaching staffs.  

14 minutes ago, still 55 said:

I would say 3 athletic qb’s. Beechwood qb is fast, shifty, got a great arm. He may not be a power back but he ran all over a lot of teams this year. 

So there you go...another QB that Mayfield has faced that will help in preparations...

On 11/25/2023 at 2:41 PM, DevilMayCare said:

Owensboro Catholic Statistical Leaders

Brady Atwell (QB): 4,227 yards passing with 65 touchdowns and 6 interceptions | 657 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns 

- Passing touchdowns are the second most ever in a single season

- Passing yards are the eighth most ever in a single season 

William 'Tutt' Carrico (WR/DB): 84 receptions for 1,587 yards and 27 touchdowns | 98 tackles with 12 TFL | 12 turnovers created, including 6 interceptions 

- Two touchdown receptions away from setting a new single season state record 

Noah Rhinerson (WR): 57 receptions for 904 yards and 12 touchdowns 

Waryn Ebelhar (WR): 46 receptions for 801 yards and 13 touchdowns 

Mitchell Sims (WR): 44 receptions for 544 yards and 6 touchdowns 

Vince Carrico (LB): 185 tackles with 13.5 TFL and 4 sacks 

Barrett Evans and Caden Conkright (DL): Best pass rushers, combining for 15 sacks

I'll get Mayfield's up when they're updated.

Mayfield Statistical Leaders

Zane Cartwright (QB): 137/191 for 2,306 yards and 32 touchdowns with 2 interceptions | 151 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns

Jutarious "Juju" Starks (RB): 174 carries for 1,533 yards and 29 touchdowns

Xavier Biggers (WR/DB): 29 receptions for 542 yards and 9 touchdowns | 3 interceptions, including a pick-six | 1 kick return touchdown

Braden Morris (WR/DB): 30 receptions for 509 yards and 7 touchdowns | 56 tackles | 3 interceptions 

Diego Torres (DB): 44 tackles | 4 interceptions, including a pick-six 

Ian Williams (LB): 109 tackles | 3.5 sacks

Carter Morris (LB): 85 tackles | 2 interceptions | 2 forced fumbles

Four Cardinals have combined to return five kicks for touchdowns 

• Like 2

Alot of OC offense and Atwell talk and certainly deserved, but I am shock at the lack of talk about the double headed monster in the Mayfield Offense. I, as a true arm chair quarterback/ex player who thinks he knows it all, think that this is a great match up for the Cards offense.  After watching OC vs Owensboro, Somerset and N Hardin I drew a few conclusions of my own. The Cards have the best offense OC has seen so far and I think its by a wide margin.  OC can commit to stopping Starks running and some kid no one seems to mention can pick them apart in the air or OC can commit to stopping this nameless Cards QB and Starks can have a hay day.  If OC tries to do both I see the Cards lighting up the scoreboard like that Ace's High Pin Ball Machine in the corner of the local gas station. Did I happen to mention I think the Cards are better up front on both sides.  This should get some great opinions so let's hear what the rest of you arm chair QB's think. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cardinal4Life06 said:

From my understanding, Atwell has no offers currently. I find that mind boggling.

I believe he holds an offer from EKU. According to his social media, he's been invited to Louisville several times, but no offer. He also went to Marshall and Purdue, it appears. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Alot of OC offense and Atwell talk and certainly deserved, but I am shock at the lack of talk about the double headed monster in the Mayfield Offense. I, as a true arm chair quarterback/ex player who thinks he knows it all, think that this is a great match up for the Cards offense.  After watching OC vs Owensboro, Somerset and N Hardin I drew a few conclusions of my own. The Cards have the best offense OC has seen so far and I think its by a wide margin.  OC can commit to stopping Starks running and some kid no one seems to mention can pick them apart in the air or OC can commit to stopping this nameless Cards QB and Starks can have a hay day.  If OC tries to do both I see the Cards lighting up the scoreboard like that Ace's High Pin Ball Machine in the corner of the local gas station. Did I happen to mention I think the Cards are better up front on both sides.  This should get some great opinions so let's hear what the rest of you arm chair QB's think. 

I think we will be by far the best team OC has seen. The combination of a good running attack and good passing attack gives me hope. Plus, the defense will be the best OC has seen with speed everywhere.  I think OC will score but will it be enough?

12 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I think we will be by far the best team OC has seen. The combination of a good running attack and good passing attack gives me hope. Plus, the defense will be the best OC has seen with speed everywhere.  I think OC will score but will it be enough?

I could easily see a high scoring game in the 40s or 50s even. 

• Like 1