Mayfield vs. Owensboro Catholic Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Cards vs. Aces  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 2A State Champion Will Be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2023 at 09:00 PM

876pi0.thumb.jpg.ecf5d625ff7e679764e86d89b6f9c6f4.jpg

A Thirteenth Title In The Cards For Mayfield? O-Cath May Have An Ace Up Its Sleeve...

Records: Mayfield (12-1) | O-Cath (14-0)

BGP Rankings: Mayfield (#4) | O-Cath (#3)

Semifinal Results: Mayfield beat Beechwood | O-Cath beat Somerset 

Series History: Mayfield leads 3-0 dating back to 1998

Kickoff: Friday, December 1st at 4:00pm

Teaser Preview: Do you believe in omens? Owensboro Catholic is currently in contention for the title of ”best program without a championship”. The Aces have swung and missed at the state finals four times, in 1997, 2004, 2005, and 2010.

The previous holder of that distinction was Somerset, the very team the Aces just destroyed in the semifinals. The Jumpers shed that dubious moniker in 2019 after beating….. Mayfield. 

Owensboro Catholic may not have to rely on the divine practices of the cosmos when they have Brady Atwell on their side. He's accounted for an astounding 78 touchdowns this season, while piloting an offense averaging 48 points per game. The Atwell to ‘Tutt’ Carrico connection has been one of the state's most prolific this season. The Aces have been ruthless in their efficiency, handing out running clocks to all but a few opponents. 

To deliver a title to Owensboro, they'll have to beat back the Cards, Kentucky's small school war horse competing in their 26th championship game. O-Cath isn't actually the highest scoring team here. Mayfield does them a point better, averaging 49 per contest. Zane Cartwright and 'Juju' Starks provide the counter to the Aces duo. 

Mayfield's path to Lexington has been decidedly more treacherous. The Cards have welcomed 2A's #1 and #2 ranked teams to town and buried them in the hallowed graveyard of War Memorial. It's a fate the Aces will not have to suffer, as the championship will be decided on the turf at Kroger Field. Mayfield will bring a shovel anyway, just in case.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 outstanding teams facing off for the title. OBC has had a dominating playoff run thus far and this game will likely be the only one they'll be challenged in. The Cards have been in 2 absolute wars the past 2 games and that experience could be the difference or will they be physically and emotionally spent. Guess we'll know soon enough.  

The Cards seem to be stepping up each of the last 3 weeks. Murray was a tough game that was in question in the second half. The next week was LCA with the most talent that could be chosen across the commonwealth. That game was in doubt until and 8 min left in the game. Then this week it was Beechwood. That game was in doubt until a last second fg. We need some relief, my heart can’t take much more. I hope this game eases up for the Cards. They seem to be on a mission. I’m going with my Cards by a TD for their first win at Lexington. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, OldSchool45 said:

I guessing OC will be home team since they #1 in RPI but not sure can anyone clarify?

Yes OC is home team and will be on the South side of Commonwealth Stadium.  Mayfield as visitors due to lower RPI is on the North side.  Tixs are already on sale.  If your a Mayfield fan, the North visitors side is all general admission.  If your a OC fan, between the 30's is reserve seating.  Strong chance of rain so you can also get tixs for the hospitality suite known as the Long Ship.  Its not a good spot to watch the game from inside though but it will keep you dry and tied to good seats outside.  Cost is obviously more. 

22 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Leg 2 of trifecta complete for the Cards. If they can find a way to win this one they will have run the  improbable! 

Without question one of the greatest playoff runs ever, if they can pull it off. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a team beating #1, #2, and #3 in a row to win a state title. 

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, lawmaker, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, General Assembly, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, House Bill (HBxxx), Senate Bill (SBxxx), legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

Great story of two great programs.  O-Cath has a fantastic QB in Atwell and always has a high powered offense.  What he has done with the offense has propelled them even more.  Mayfield brings the history and the dawg mentality back to state to redeem themselves.  Already revenging the loss the BW and the domination of #1 CAL and UK QB Boley, I think Mayfield is just too much.  I think Mayfield forces Atwell into one too many mistakes and JuJu runs the rock!