Mayfield vs. Owensboro Catholic Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Cards vs. Aces  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 2A State Champion Will Be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2023 at 09:00 PM

9 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Interesting we haven’t gave up 40 or 50 points the entire year so I’m guessing you think they’re offensive is the best we will face this year?

I think if rain does play a role to keep the under on this game. I’m not sure how many rain games Mayfield has been in but for Catholic there was one full rain game, another one the rain was off and on. Weather did not play a factor because in those 2 games they were dominant against less skilled teams. 

18 minutes ago, jeff jackson said:

Quite possibly. Atwell is the real deal.

I can promise you he is the real deal this will be the best team mayfield has played. Last week he hit every receiver perfect in stride anywhere he wanted to put it he can also run. I will say this if he has a game like last week I think OC will win by 2-3 scores.

• Haha 3

I can see why some think this game is going to be close. That because of the numbers OC has put up. However, I just study the film and have an understanding of how Mayfield operates. I see OC being able to score, however, it’s going to be in the range of 21. Mayfields offense will score to match but more like 28. However, the difference is that once OC starts pushing, the turnovers will come. The Cards will get another 14 points due to OC turnovers. That changes the score to around 42-21 MHS. 

I’m really thinking that Atwell is going to have to rush for 150+ yards for OCath to have a chance to win this game. Not saying it can’t be done but I feel like that will have to happen for them to pull off the win. Mayfield just had a really good QB throw for 420 yards on them last week and the team still didn’t manage to score 30 points. 

Mayfield has had 3 tough games.  They are 2-1 in those games.  They've won the 2 at home and lost to Paducah T away.   At HOME, they've beaten 2 very good teams - props there quite an achievement.  Catholic has beaten Owensboro (rivalry game), Henderson, North Hardin and Somerset.  Good, but not as good as the 2 quality wins at Mayfield.  Shared teams - Catholic beat Owensnboro, Mayfield tied albeit in a 2-quarter scimmage.  Catholic dominated Henderson, who gave Mayfield a good game.   However, the Cardinal Defense has given up over 400, 500 and 500 yards in these 3 tough contests (Paducah T. LCA, Beechwood).   Huge Yards given up and plenty of points. That tells me that OCath should be able to move the ball and get plenty of yards and plenty of points.  As far as Mayfield defenses, this isn't one of the best.  They are led by their offense, which has bailed their defense out - RB is a load and QB is pretty good at what he does.  I'll give coaching an A+ as well.  Ocath has a decent and opportunistic defense with 17 INT's and plenty of sacks.  Catholic is coached good as well.  My guess is they are going to prioritize Starks and make the QB runn and throw all game.  To some degree this game should be a shootout.  I think Catholic scores a bunch and holds Mayfield enough to get a 10 to 14 point victory.  

Aces 42-30

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brown said:

Mayfield has had 3 tough games.  They are 2-1 in those games.  They've won the 2 at home and lost to Paducah T away.   At HOME, they've beaten 2 very good teams - props there quite an achievement.  Catholic has beaten Owensboro (rivalry game), Henderson, North Hardin and Somerset.  Good, but not as good as the 2 quality wins at Mayfield.  Shared teams - Catholic beat Owensnboro, Mayfield tied albeit in a 2-quarter scimmage.  Catholic dominated Henderson, who gave Mayfield a good game.   However, the Cardinal Defense has given up over 400, 500 and 500 yards in these 3 tough contests (Paducah T. LCA, Beechwood).   Huge Yards given up and plenty of points. That tells me that OCath should be able to move the ball and get plenty of yards and plenty of points.  As far as Mayfield defenses, this isn't one of the best.  They are led by their offense, which has bailed their defense out - RB is a load and QB is pretty good at what he does.  I'll give coaching an A+ as well.  Ocath has a decent and opportunistic defense with 17 INT's and plenty of sacks.  Catholic is coached good as well.  My guess is they are going to prioritize Starks and make the QB runn and throw all game.  To some degree this game should be a shootout.  I think Catholic scores a bunch and holds Mayfield enough to get a 10 to 14 point victory.  

Aces 42-30

Catholic did not dominate Henderson anymore than Mayfield did. Mayfield had the ball with 6 minutes left up 38-17 in Henderson territory driving to make it 45-17. Cartwright drops back to throw and the ball completely slips out of his hand and goes ten yards backwards and Henderson goes on to score. Mayfield then runs out the clock. OCath gave up over 100 more yards of offense to Henderson than Mayfield did. When Mayfield scrimmaged Owensboro they were without 3 starters, including Starks. Mayfield has played 3 teams tougher than OCaths best opponent. Mayfield held Beechwood to their lowest scoring game of the season. Mayfield held LCA to fewer points than Boyle County did and beat them by twice as much as Boyle. Mayfield held Paducah Tilghman to their second lowest scoring total on the season (second only to CovCath, which is undefeated and playing in the 4A championship.) You can try to pick this team apart all day long but if you look at the whole picture, what they’ve done is impressive. Mayfield would love for OCath to stack the box to stop Starks. They’ve got athletes all over the field at WR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro Domino said:

Catholic did not dominate Henderson anymore than Mayfield did. Mayfield had the ball with 6 minutes left up 38-17 in Henderson territory driving to make it 45-17. Cartwright drops back to throw and the ball completely slips out of his hand and goes ten yards backwards and Henderson goes on to score. Mayfield then runs out the clock. OCath gave up over 100 more yards of offense to Henderson than Mayfield did. When Mayfield scrimmaged Owensboro they were without 3 starters, including Starks. Mayfield has played 3 teams tougher than OCaths best opponent. Mayfield held Beechwood to their lowest scoring game of the season. Mayfield held LCA to fewer points than Boyle County did and beat them by twice as much as Boyle. Mayfield held Paducah Tilghman to their second lowest scoring total on the season (second only to CovCath, which is undefeated and playing in the 4A championship.) You can try to pick this team apart all day long but if you look at the whole picture, what they’ve done is impressive. Mayfield would love for OCath to stack the box to stop Starks. They’ve got athletes all over the field at WR.

Good point on starks at Owensboro.  Mayfield is more consistent and better than Owensboro.  I do think OCath's focus is on stopping Starks.  I've watched both teams and they are both very good - cream of the crop.  Mayfield has 2 better wins no doubt.  But again, this being a down year for defense in general (and at mayfield in particular), I think Catholic is poised to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brown said:

Good point on starks at Owensboro.  Mayfield is more consistent and better than Owensboro.  I do think OCath's focus is on stopping Starks.  I've watched both teams and they are both very good - cream of the crop.  Mayfield has 2 better wins no doubt.  But again, this being a down year for defense in general (and at mayfield in particular), I think Catholic is poised to take advantage of that.

I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing a shootout, which is very possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brown said:

Aces 42-30

I would say you are way off base. A good amount of the points scored by Mayfield this year was by the defense or set up by the defense. It is apparent that you haven’t watched much of Mayfield this year. Also, the scrimmage against Owensboro did not feature 4 of our starters including JuJu Starks. I’m quite certain you are in for a rude awakening. 

1 hour ago, ApolloFan98 said:

I've heard the Atwell to Male rumblings myself.  He does have an offer from EKU but I have always been puzzled at the lack of recruiting attention.  I think he can change that with a big performance vs Mayfield at Kroger.  It sure sounds like his future at Owensboro Catholic may depend on it.

Looks like OC will be looking for a new qb next year. 

Mayfield fans sure have a thin skin when picked against. I was told it's just someone's opinion, and to not get so worked up about it. The fact that some of you think OC has NO chance is funny to me. As a Catholic fan, I can see it going either way. But, I don't think we're supposed to say that here. Too many hurt feelings if we do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, still 55 said:

I would say you are way off base. A good amount of the points scored by Mayfield this year was by the defense or set up by the defense. It is apparent that you haven’t watched much of Mayfield this year. Also, the scrimmage against Owensboro did not feature 4 of our starters including JuJu Starks. I’m quite certain you are in for a rude awakening. 

I've already addressed Starks being out at Owensboro - read above.

PT - 5 TD's against Mayfield all offensive (over 400 yards of offense)

LCA - 5 TD's against Mayfield all offensive (over 500 yards of offense)

Beechwood - 4 TD's against Mayfield all offensive (over 500 yards of offense)

Mayfields offense has been superb and has bailed their defense out in these games.  While the defense has had timely turnovers, they yield a boatload of yards and give up a decent amount of points in these games.  This is not a great Mayfield defense - not to their standards.  That's why I think Catholic beats them.  If Catholic gets 400-500 yards of offense, I believe they will score 42+.  

• Like 1