Mayfield vs. Owensboro Catholic Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Cards vs. Aces  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 2A State Champion Will Be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2023 at 09:00 PM

When you point out the RPI, the thing that pops out to me is North Hardin. North Hardin is much lower in RPI than McCracken County. McCracken also made it to round three. Mayfield put a running clock on McCracken. However, North Hardin moved the ball real well on OC and would have had a barn burner if they would just not fumble the ball away so much. 

18 minutes ago, still 55 said:

When you point out the RPI, the thing that pops out to me is North Hardin. North Hardin is much lower in RPI than McCracken County. McCracken also made it to round three. Mayfield put a running clock on McCracken. However, North Hardin moved the ball real well on OC and would have had a barn burner if they would just not fumble the ball away so much. 

North Hardin had wins vacated from the beginning of the season due to an infraction. Their RPI took damage because of this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

I don't think OC has faced a QB of Cartwright's caliber or Starks caliber after trolling their games. Thoughts on anyone they have faced as good? 

This will be the most complete, versatile offense the Aces have seen this year. The experience and poise of Cartwright is unmatched on O-Cath's schedule. They've faced some talented skill people, but no one with the combination of power, speed, and physical maturation of Starks. When his shoulders square to the line, he's a load. I don't know that any back on O-Cath's schedule could have done to Beechwood what Starks did. Hampton at Owensboro is super talented, but that comparison is apples and oranges.

Having said that, Atwell will provide a unique challenge for Mayfield. Not too many quarterbacks out there with his package of size, arm talent, and mobility. 

Both defenses will be under stress from all angles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, still 55 said:

North Hardin wasn’t a bad team at all. Look at their schedule. They played some respectable games against good teams. They had to forfeit all their wins but one so of course their RPI was low. It’s skewed by the forfeits. Now as for their loss in the playoffs, I have no idea how they lost that one. I think they were better than McCracken but I might be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Astro Domino said:

North Hardin wasn’t a bad team at all. Look at their schedule. They played some respectable games against good teams. They had to forfeit all their wins but one so of course their RPI was low. It’s skewed by the forfeits. Now as for their loss in the playoffs, I have no idea how they lost that one. I think they were better than McCracken but I might be wrong.

North Hardin played a Daviess County team that grew tremendously through the season. With the mistakes that North Hardin has trouble with during their games, a good number of people picked Daviess County to win. When I watched North Hardin they couldn’t get a snap off.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:04 AM, Brown said:

Mayfield has had 3 tough games.  They are 2-1 in those games.  They've won the 2 at home and lost to Paducah T away.   At HOME, they've beaten 2 very good teams - props there quite an achievement.  Catholic has beaten Owensboro (rivalry game), Henderson, North Hardin and Somerset.  Good, but not as good as the 2 quality wins at Mayfield.  Shared teams - Catholic beat Owensnboro, Mayfield tied albeit in a 2-quarter scimmage.  Catholic dominated Henderson, who gave Mayfield a good game.   However, the Cardinal Defense has given up over 400, 500 and 500 yards in these 3 tough contests (Paducah T. LCA, Beechwood).   Huge Yards given up and plenty of points. That tells me that OCath should be able to move the ball and get plenty of yards and plenty of points.  As far as Mayfield defenses, this isn't one of the best.  They are led by their offense, which has bailed their defense out - RB is a load and QB is pretty good at what he does.  I'll give coaching an A+ as well.  Ocath has a decent and opportunistic defense with 17 INT's and plenty of sacks.  Catholic is coached good as well.  My guess is they are going to prioritize Starks and make the QB runn and throw all game.  To some degree this game should be a shootout.  I think Catholic scores a bunch and holds Mayfield enough to get a 10 to 14 point victory.  

Aces 42-30

Alright, to the point of yardage given up and Henderson County giving MHS a game, here’s some facts for you:

OC passing 446 yards, run 52 yards, total 498

Henderson Co passing 149 yards, run 206 yards, total 355

MHS passing 165 yards, run 236, total 401

Henderson Co passing 125 yards, run 133, total 258

Now that is amazing in the fact that both teams outgained Henderson by 143 yards. Not to mention MHS did this after the almost 2 hour drive to Henderson and OC did it at home. 

Another thing that could be addressed is that it has been pointed out just how many yards MHS has given up in the three toughest games of the year. The same person that brought that up admitted that OC’s toughest three were not as tough. With that being said in those 3 OC gave up 303, 355 and 394 in those 3 games. If MHS has that kind of success, I like our chances.