Highlands 106 Bishop Brossart 99 (OT)

Good comeback win. Great shooting. But the lack of any attempt to coach defense is concerning. Hey coach, can you at least teach switching and close outs? And quit  running under screens. You have zero chance to beat Covcath this year without playing some basic form of defense. 

Tough loss for our guys, as we were a pair of free-throws, and at one point a single rebound away from putting this one in the win column.  However for the second time in our last two outings, Scott and now Highlands, we come up short.  Free throws played a huge role in this one, as the Birds connected on 37 for 44, with Nate Vinson hitting on 20 of 21, while our Mustangs nailed 24 of 34, a 13 point advantage to the visitors.  Vinson ended up with 48 points on the night.

Mason Sepate answered with 30 points.  Brandon Bezold put up 16 with four 3s.  Keegan Gulley, our football quarterback, hit a trio of 3s off the bench for 11 points, and Anthony Kruse was one rebound short of a triple-double with 11 points, 9 rebounds and 12 assists.  In addition to Vinson, Seth Ryan scored 21, and William Herald 20, while Brody Benke contributed 10.  With the win the Birds improve to 17-6,and the Mustangs fall to 12-7.

I'm thinking that Vinson's 48 may have been the most scored and the Birds' 106 the most ever scored in this facility.

Highlands won the JV game 59-54 despite our Sophomore gunslinger, Parker Mulberry, nailing six 3-pointers.  He then came back and nailed a pair of them in the feature event. 

Birds Freshmen big over our greenies.

Next up for our Mustangs is the All "A" State Tournament with a Thursday night 6:30pm date with Hazard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Mustang said:

Tough loss for our guys, as we were a pair of free-throws, and at one point a single rebound away from putting this one in the win column.  However for the second time in our last two outings, Scott and now Highlands, we come up short.  Free throws played a huge role in this one, as the Birds connected on 37 for 44, with Nate Vinson hitting on 20 of 21, while our Mustangs nailed 24 of 34, a 13 point advantage to the visitors.  Vinson ended up with 48 points on the night.

Mason Sepate answered with 30 points.  Brandon Bezold put up 16 with four 3s.  Keegan Gulley, our football quarterback, hit a trio of 3s off the bench for 11 points, and Anthony Kruse was one rebound short of a triple-double with 11 points, 9 rebounds and 12 assists.  In addition to Vinson, Seth Ryan scored 21, and William Herald 20, while Brody Benke contributed 10.  With the win the Birds improve to 17-6,and the Mustangs fall to 12-7.

I'm thinking that Vinson's 48 may have been the most scored and the Birds' 106 the most ever scored in this facility.

Highlands won the JV game 59-54 despite our Sophomore gunslinger, Parker Mulberry, nailing six 3-pointers.  He then came back and nailed a pair of them in the feature event. 

Birds Freshmen big over our greenies.

Next up for our Mustangs is the All "A" State Tournament with a Thursday night 6:30pm date with Hazard.

Great summary.  We had the Conner over Newport 2OT, but part of me sorry we missed this one ha.  But Scott Draud has the 9th region record against Holmes and put up 69.  Maybe 2nd for HHS with 48 for Vinson.  After that Sam is now Nathan's brother. lol

9 hours ago, Royal Blue said:

Good comeback win. Great shooting. But the lack of any attempt to coach defense is concerning. Hey coach, can you at least teach switching and close outs? And quit  running under screens. You have zero chance to beat Covcath this year without playing some basic form of defense. 

It amazes me the posts like this.  A few years ago people were screaming that Highlands had to score more, make the game faster.  Now that the game is fast, fun, exciting to watch AND play.....people complain about the defense.

If you want defense and low scoring games, go check out a GMC or GCL game, they are routinely in the 30's.  I'll take this all day and twice on Sundays.

• Like 2

I only got to see the 2nd half.  Highlands was attacking the basket with drives so they weren't using much clock.  Brossart worked the ball around the perimeter more, looking for cutters and switches that they could exploit.  The Birds style led to more fouls which, as Mustang noted, was the difference.  Brossart shot 53% for the game while Highlands connected on 45%.  It was a very entertaining game in my opinion.