Highlands 106 Bishop Brossart 99 (OT)

7 hours ago, throwback32 said:

It amazes me the posts like this.  A few years ago people were screaming that Highlands had to score more, make the game faster.  Now that the game is fast, fun, exciting to watch AND play.....people complain about the defense.

If you want defense and low scoring games, go check out a GMC or GCL game, they are routinely in the 30's.  I'll take this all day and twice on Sundays.

You can’t beat decent teams without playing defense. Hence why Highlands has convincingly lost to the top 4 in the 9th this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royal Blue said:

You can’t beat decent teams without playing defense. Hence why Highlands has convincingly lost to the top 4 in the 9th this year. 

Cov Cath popped them and are rated in the top 5 on state, they handle most.

They lost to Holy Cross and Newport by 7 and both games were 1-2 possession games in the 4th quarter.  Convincingly???  Would it matter if they lost to Cov Cath 56-44 so “defensive battle” could be claimed?  

I love watching Highlands play.  The kids love the system.  It’s basketball.  Games in the 40’s and 50’s are terrible.  I would much rather watch the Birds than teams who “play defense” and only score 10-12 points per quarter.

I would also argue that the State Championship team of 2 years ago didn’t exactly lock anyone down.

14 hours ago, throwback32 said:

They lost to Holy Cross and Newport by 7 and both games were 1-2 possession games in the 4th quarter.  Convincingly???  Would it matter if they lost to Cov Cath 56-44 so “defensive battle” could be claimed?  

I love watching Highlands play.  The kids love the system.  It’s basketball.  Games in the 40’s and 50’s are terrible.  I would much rather watch the Birds than teams who “play defense” and only score 10-12 points per quarter.

I would also argue that the State Championship team of 2 years ago didn’t exactly lock anyone down.

Where did I say games should be in the 40’s and 50’s??? That’s right, I didn’t. If you’re giving up 85-90pts in a 32 min game, you’re not playing ANY defense.

The state championship team had a transcendent player who had a solid supporting cast. They worked for better shots and they played much better defense than what I'm seeing now. Vinson actually blocked a lot of shots during that championship run. 

My opinion for whatever it’s worth, is this team won’t make any type of run without better defense. If the defensive intensity doesn’t pick up, you’re going to the region as a runner up. Then there’s a 66% percent chance of drawing and losing to Covcath or Conner first round. 

My idea of success is winning. Not whether a few people had fun watching. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Where did I say games should be in the 40’s and 50’s??? That’s right, I didn’t. If you’re giving up 85-90pts in a 32 min game, you’re not playing ANY defense.

The state championship team had a transcendent player who had a solid supporting cast. They worked for better shots and they played much better defense than what I'm seeing now. Vinson actually blocked a lot of shots during that championship run. 

My opinion for whatever it’s worth, is this team won’t make any type of run without better defense. If the defensive intensity doesn’t pick up, you’re going to the region as a runner up. Then there’s a 66% percent chance of drawing and losing to Covcath or Conner first round. 

My idea of success is winning. Not whether a few people had fun watching. 

I am a huge Birds backer, as your are it sounds, and that's great.  I just am not a fan of WINNING a game, and then picking apart what they did wrong.  The scored 106.  Had a dude get nearly 50 and we want to find what they didn't do correctly.  

I am just glad that the program is where it is now.  When Listerman and staff got here, the program was in shambles.  A decade later, the boys have a state title, are averaging near 80 a game, and winning at a high clip.  Will they win the district?  IDK... Region?  IDK... But I am going to enjoy this group suspect defense and all.

Go Birds!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, throwback32 said:

It is possible to play defense and score at a high rate.  The state championship team was a much better defensive team because they had much better length and versatility. They had 2 guys capable of guarding anyone on the floor and 4 of the 5 starters were over 6 feet with good length.  

I would argue that they did lock teams down, but they scored so well that teams got way more possessions than typical in a 32 minute game so they would still score more than the 40s or 50s that you mention.  There may be an opponents points per possession stat out there somewhere that proves be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. 

If you look back the team averaged 74 ppg in Lexington and held every opponent to their lowest scoring game of the tourney with nobody breaking 60.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoopoop said:

It is possible to play defense and score at a high rate.  The state championship team was a much better defensive team because they had much better length and versatility. They had 2 guys capable of guarding anyone on the floor and 4 of the 5 starters were over 6 feet with good length.  

I would argue that they did lock teams down, but they scored so well that teams got way more possessions than typical in a 32 minute game so they would still score more than the 40s or 50s that you mention.  There may be an opponents points per possession stat out there somewhere that proves be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. 

If you look back the team averaged 74 ppg in Lexington and held every opponent to their lowest scoring game of the tourney with nobody breaking 60.

Well stated.  Highlands basketball is now relevant again which is good.  Expectations are now elevated which lends to more discussion of what can or cannot be done to get back to state tourney.