Frank Parks Jr named new Danville football coach.

Anybody else hear that?

That was the sound of what little remaining wind they had leaving the sails of the Admirals program completely.

Good lord, they really can't get out or their own way in the administrative offices up there in Danville, can they? This was absolutely made to be the opportunity to get Clevenger back in the saddle and pick up the pieces, and instead they just elect to sweep the pieces into a trash bag and throw them out.

• Like 1

I never thought I'd see the day that Danville would have a coaching vacancy and hire someone with a 38% lifetime winning percentage.  Disappointment is an understatement.

That said, I'll still listen to the Ads games every Friday night and be a loyal fan, hoping this hire works out.  Just not excited, thrilled, or optimistic.

• Sad 1

Advocate-Messenger article on the Parks hiring.

This provides some insight into his comments to the team, background, future, etc.  What stands out to me is this part of the article:

"Danville principal Chad Luhman assembled a committee made up of people from both inside and outside the school system to find a replacement. He said a pool of 15 to 20 applicants was whittled to six finalists who were interviewed.

“Coach Parks just jumped off the page at us immediately,” Luhman said. “He had a lot of experiences, that would translate well to our program

15-20 applicants?  Why a range?  It's either 15, 17, 20, or whatever!  They never tell you who else applied for this job (and for obvious reasons because why burn coaches who applied and didn't get it) but what about a 38% winning percentage and never getting to a regional championship game at two different levels of Kentucky football "jumps off the page"?  I just don't buy this explanation at all.

Would've loved to have seen a press conference of some sort for this hire, like when Clevenger took the reins from Harp back in 2013 but that was not forthcoming.  People don't want to answer the tough questions I suppose.

Larry Vaught also made a good observation on social media that Parks is going to need to go into overdrive to get the kids that are there to stay, come in for January weights, etc. and get some new players from the halls because numbers were low this year and might be extremely low next year as seniors graduate and attrition sets in.  That'll be his first test at the helm.

TylerDurden here made a great point about the wind going out of the sails of the program right now.  That's how I feel as a diehard fan.  I don't see this as an upgrade over Peach.  I'll always be an Ads fan and root for them but I'm not going to lie, the dysfunction surrounding the program over the last three seasons has taken part of the joy of that fandom out of me.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get it back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I know that the Admiral faithful are upset. But, for comparison sake, wasn't Coach Harp's record right around .500 before taking over Danville in 1988? 

Actually I think Sam was well above .500.  His last Anderson County team was 10-2 losing only to state champ Danville twice.  He was also successful at his previous stint if I believe.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hatz said:

Actually I think Sam was well above .500.  His last Anderson County team was 10-2 losing only to state champ Danville twice.  He was also successful at his previous stint if I believe.  

I looked it up. He was 277-66 at Danville and 326-106 overall in Kentucky. So he was, what 49-40 before Danville?  He would have been 39-38 before that last Anderson County team. 

• Like 1

I hope Coach Parks does well and can succeed, but, I’m like most on here, I don’t get it.  It seems like personal feelings against Clevenger is keeping him out.   The coach that the town, alumni, and players want back at the helm is given the shaft because of “hurt feelings” rather than performance.  I just want administrators at the schools in the Commonwealth to lay down their feelings and do what you get paid to do, and that’s to do what’s best for the students and school!

• Like 1