Frank Parks Jr named new Danville football coach.

I’m not from Danville. I didn’t attend school there or in a surrounding county. However, Danville used to be synonymous with success. Boyle used to be Danville’s little brother.  Danville was a power house that produced multiple state championships. 

Danville seemed headed for a revival of the success they had during Coach Harp’s tenure. Clay Clevenger was extremely successful as the Danville Head Coach.  They were a state runner up and then state champions the next year. Then Clevenger was fired and I don’t know of any definite reason for the dismissal. I’m not entitled to any explanation and I understand that.  However, since his dismissal Danville has not been very good and has hit a new low with the hiring of Frank Parks.   

• Like 2

Like GoCats98 I am not from Danville but lived there for a couple of years in the late 1980s. The Ads were strong then and the Rebels were struggling. Have watched the Rebel program soar to Championship level in line with Danville. I’m not sure the reasons for Danville’s slide but looking forward to the day both programs are back to the “Titletown” days! 

27 minutes ago, Rebelstat said:

Hope he can get Danville back but not sure if it will happen.  Have heard something  (not about Parks) but the hiring process and just wish they would have given Clevenger another shot.  

Maybe someone else will give Clevenger a shot. 🤔

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 5:25 PM, TylerDurden said:

Anybody else hear that?

That was the sound of what little remaining wind they had leaving the sails of the Admirals program completely.

Good lord, they really can't get out or their own way in the administrative offices up there in Danville, can they? This was absolutely made to be the opportunity to get Clevenger back in the saddle and pick up the pieces, and instead they just elect to sweep the pieces into a trash bag and throw them out.

I know people get upset when new coaches come in, been there myself as a parent, but living in the glory days gets us nothing. (And we know those days are valuable).

As parents everyone has to back a new coach wether we like tue situations or not.     

I’ve only once been through Danville, this October on our way to Dunnville in Casey County. Now both teams will have brand new coaches, good luck to both schools.

Playing devils advocate here, Does suburban sprawl have anything to do with Boyle Co being at a much higher level than Danville? Like others, when I was growing up Danville football was as much a house hold name as any program in the state and I had never heard of Boyle Co until 1999. 

8 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

I’ve only once been through Danville, this October on our way to Dunnville in Casey County. Now both teams will have brand new coaches, good luck to both schools.

Playing devils advocate here, Does suburban sprawl have anything to do with Boyle Co being at a much higher level than Danville? Like others, when I was growing up Danville football was as much a house hold name as any program in the state and I had never heard of Boyle Co until 1999. 

The growth of the county versus the city has had a big impact IMO since the 2000s.  Boyle has gotten richer and Danville has gotten poorer in more ways than one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Boyle County is one of the top school districts in the state. That serves as a magnet for the whole region, not just Danville. 

• Like 2

Suburban Sprawl is most definitely a thing that effects high school sports. Where a “city” school was awesome and is now a has been. Seemingly the same in a lot of places in Ky. There was a time Newport ruled basketball in NKY, Boone Co football was the one of the top 4A schools every year etc. With the Danville situation though it seems like the talent is/was there but the coach that kept the tradition alive was for some reason let go. 

• Like 3

On 12/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, Breds82 said:

I've had several Danville folks tell me in the recent past that urban sprawl DEFINITELY has played a major role in the decline of things for the Ads programs and the increase in success for Boyle County.

See also: Boone County High School; Shelby County High School