Shaedon Sharpe Ruled Eligible For NBA Draft

Carl Spackler

32 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'm sure he'd make more by being drafted in the top ten this year than NIL next year.  But Matt Jones was speculating that he could be the first college player to sign a shoe deal, which would make things regarding NIL interesting.

Very good point on the shoe money.

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

There's a financial calculation in this.

First, he's only going to miss out on one year of NBA money. That is the 7.4 million you mention. But that is #2 pick money. I don't see him listed anywhere as the #2 pick. Most have him projected at #6 if he enters the 2022 draft, which is 5 million year one. That takes us to point number 2.

Second, and the most important and difficult variable to predict, NBA draft position. If Sharpe is picked #6, his first year salary is just under 5 million. If he plays next year for UK and can get to the #1 or 2 pick in 2023, he gains 2.4 million at #2 and 3.4 million at the #1 pick. But that only looks at year one. NBA draft picks get 4 year deals, guaranteed years 1 and 2, then options for years 3 and 4. The difference in being the #2 pick over #6 is 5.1 million the first two years and 7.9 million the first three years.

Based on all that I don't think it is nearly as clear cut that it makes financial sense to go into the draft this year. It is a tough decision and really one that can't be predicted with any certainty either way.  If I am looking at it as Sharp and his agent, I am going to try to get to that number 1 or 2 pick. It is highly unlikely that Sharpe, without playing this season, could go any higher than 4.

From what I have read about Sharpe, he is a somewhat late developing player who has come on very quickly the last couple years. There are still a number of holes in his game, with ball handling and shooting being listed by analysts as areas that need more development.  I think he is on a great track of development by working out now and through the summer and then getting the chance to show his skills and development next season at UK, the goal being the number one pick in the 2023 draft. If that happens, Sharpe makes more by playing next year at UK than going into the draft this year.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing. My calculation of 7.4 million was over his first 2 years in the league, not the first year and based off a previous post in this thread about him making top 10 money. 

We're assuming his draft stock rises by playing at UK next year... Who says that's the case? He could be extremely "average" and grossly underperform. He could also get hurt. 

Again, I don't see anybody who is a lottery pick choosing to play another year in college. He's not going to make as much in NIL as he would even as the 15th pick in the draft in the next year at UK. A shoe deal could change that, but I doubt it. This kid isn't LeBron James. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I get what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing. My calculation of 7.4 million was over his first 2 years in the league, not the first year and based off a previous post in this thread about him making top 10 money. 

For added info, here is a link that shows the salary scale for this year's NBA draft picks:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

We're assuming his draft stock rises by playing at UK next year... Who says that's the case? He could be extremely "average" and grossly underperform. He could also get hurt. 

Again, I don't see anybody who is a lottery pick choosing to play another year in college. He's not going to make as much in NIL as he would even as the 15th pick in the draft in the next year at UK. A shoe deal could change that, but I doubt it. This kid isn't LeBron James. 

It is a guessing game to some extent. He could go to NBA workouts this year and move up to top 5 or drop out of the lottery. If I am him, I declare for the draft, do the NBA tryouts to get evaluated and see where I get projected in the draft. That will tell what the money looks like this year and then can decide if it is worth more to wait till next year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

It is a guessing game to some extent. He could go to NBA workouts this year and move up to top 5 or drop out of the lottery. If I am him, I declare for the draft, do the NBA tryouts to get evaluated and see where I get projected in the draft. That will tell what the money looks like this year and then can decide if it is worth more to wait till next year.

This is the answer. 

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

While it is about getting the guaranteed dollars you see in the rookie scale, it is more so about getting to that second contract. Each year you put that off, the more risk you take not getting that second deal.

How does waiting one year risk the second deal? I could argue going to the league less prepared risks the second deal value more than just getting there a year younger.

13 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

How does waiting one year risk the second deal? I could argue going to the league less prepared risks the second deal value more than just getting there a year younger.

It is all about maximizing the amount of years you can play in the NBA. The NBA is in an interesting place where we are seeing some guys have high level longer careers (see LeBron, CP3, Vince Carter, Korver, etc.), but it is also churning out younger players at a much higher clip because the talent pool is so deep. It is amazing to look at the guys that are out of the league following their first contracts. The human body has so many miles it can place on it. You spend as many miles as you can getting paid to do the job.... even if he gets assigned to the G-League. Fair or not, there is a stigma to refining the basketball craft in college. Sharpe's situation is a little different, I'll give you that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Some on this site have ridiculed Calipari for how he handled the Sharpe situation.  Saying how Cal did nothing but hurt the team and how he just completed screwed up everything by not playing the kid.  Gave him a free ride and wasted a scholarship on him.

If there is any inkling of truth to what KSR's tweets below say, its the exact opposite and he was protecting his team because things just weren't checking out and/or at the very least were sketchy regarding even his NCAA eligibility.

Below sure is a heckuva a lot more plausible than "Cal just screwed it up and let a kid just use UK because Cal sucks"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Some on this site have ridiculed Calipari for how he handled the Sharpe situation.  Saying how Cal did nothing but hurt the team and how he just completed screwed up everything by not playing the kid.  Gave him a free ride and wasted a scholarship on him.

If there is any inkling of truth to what KSR's tweets below say, its the exact opposite and he was protecting his team because things just weren't checking out and/or at the very least were sketchy regarding even his NCAA eligibility.

Below sure is a heckuva a lot more plausible than "Cal just screwed it up and let a kid just use UK because Cal sucks"

You posted this 3 hours ago and no replies?   I guess people mainly only respond if it was something negative about Cal. 

If this is true, sounds like Cal handled the situation perfectly. He protected the team and also protected the player. 

19 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

You posted this 3 hours ago and no replies?   I guess people mainly only respond if it was something negative about Cal. 

If this is true, sounds like Cal handled the situation perfectly. He protected the team and also protected the player. 

I don't find it all that surprising but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it was posted later in the day.

I really don't know what anyone wanted Calipari to do, especially if that information is true.

I am really beginning to wonder about his graduation date, what the motivation was for either UK or Sharpe and would not someone at UK have at least seen his diploma from May 2021 before today?

I am not laying any blame on UK.  I am just saying this is really getting weird.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I've closed the book on Mr. Sharpe.

• Like 1