Trouble at McCracken County

I have noticed numbers being down almost across the board it seems. Most teams I’ve seen have less than 40 it looks. 
I would like to do a study of what the majority of people think of school consolidations, especially after about 10 years. I’m sure they all needed new schools. I miss Lone Oak, Reidland and Heath. 

I've been fortunate to work with Coach Clark since he was elected Chairman of our KFCA Elected Council. Obviously, he is well-respected by his fellow coaches to be elected to the council and then elected Chairman. He is one of the young coaches in the state I look to for new ideas, how he has his program organized, and in particular to the work he does in the offseason. Their losses are sure not due to the head coach not doing his job. Coach Clark works like a mad man, year round. 

He is a good football coach and I wish him and his team the best. For most of us, we have stretches like he is going through. In the long run, giving him, his assistants, and players a chance to fight through it, will benefit him, the program and the community. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I've been fortunate to work with Coach Clark since he was elected Chairman of our KFCA Elected Council. Obviously, he is well-respected by his fellow coaches to be elected to the council and then elected Chairman. He is one of the young coaches in the state I look to for new ideas, how he has his program organized, and in particular to the work he does in the offseason. Their losses are sure not due to the head coach not doing his job. Coach Clark works like a mad man, year round. 

He is a good football coach and I wish him and his team the best. For most of us, we have stretches like he is going through. In the long run, giving him, his assistants, and players a chance to fight through it, will benefit him, the program and the community. 

He may very well be all of those things. What I have seen is a program that has fewer players each year. Has lost several coaches and supporters the past few years and has fallen to #3 in the district.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

I have noticed numbers being down almost across the board it seems. Most teams I’ve seen have less than 40 it looks. 
I would like to do a study of what the majority of people think of school consolidations, especially after about 10 years. I’m sure they all needed new schools. I miss Lone Oak, Reidland and Heath. 

I am not expert here. However I will say that most consolidations start great. New facilities, great plans, tons of resources. Then things level off over time. 

The biggest misktake McCracken made was when the previous coach consolidated the middle school teams. That is not Clark fault, was the guy before him. The first 2-3 years they dressed 100 middle school kids. Now (only 5yrs later)  it might be half that. 

• Like 1

In the old days before McCracken county even had football Augusta Tilghman High School now Paducah Tilghman had 3 Junior High Schools all with football teams. They fed Tilghman 80-100 sophomore players every year that had a lot of game experience. The population of Paducah started dropping and eventually they consolidated to one middle school in Paducah and then Tilghman became a 9-12 Highschool. The county schools started football programs and Heath was the only one to ever win a state Championship. Before McCracken County built the new McCracken High School, Lone Oak had Jack Haskin led teams made the State Championship 2 times but lost both times. McCracken County has the fan base, facilities and the resources  to win but still have not had a steady stream of more than 3-4 outstanding Football players. Lots of good players but not D1 talent like Louisville, Lexington etc. Trying to bring 3 middle schools together every day to practice has to be a night mare, so I agree that has hurt County football. I am a football fan and I root for Tilghman and McCracken County. Things will get better in time for both schools I hope in Football.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Socially Distanced said:

The PT transfer excuse is way over used. A lot of the kids involved were Paducah kids in the first place. They transferred to LO Middle for 1 season then transferred back.

Even if a lot were PT kids. You take just 3 athletes out of each class that can kill a program. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe Tracy said:

In the old days before McCracken county even had football Augusta Tilghman High School now Paducah Tilghman had 3 Junior High Schools all with football teams. They fed Tilghman 80-100 sophomore players every year that had a lot of game experience. The population of Paducah started dropping and eventually they consolidated to one middle school in Paducah and then Tilghman became a 9-12 Highschool. The county schools started football programs and Heath was the only one to ever win a state Championship. Before McCracken County built the new McCracken High School, Lone Oak had Jack Haskin led teams made the State Championship 2 times but lost both times. McCracken County has the fan base, facilities and the resources  to win but still have not had a steady stream of more than 3-4 outstanding Football players. Lots of good players but not D1 talent like Louisville, Lexington etc. Trying to bring 3 middle schools together every day to practice has to be a night mare, so I agree that has hurt County football. I am a football fan and I root for Tilghman and McCracken County. Things will get better in time for both schools I hope in Football.

This!!

We deal with this in Daviess County as well. Except here, it’s 3 middle schools into 2 high schools and one of the middle schools splits students. The middle school coaches are not invested in the high school programs. Hopeful we start to see that turn around soon, as I’ve heard there’s direction from central office to fix it.

• Like 1